U.S. would destroy banned Russian warheads if necessary: NATO envoy

Discussion in 'Gog / Magog' started by Almost Heaven, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven Well-Known Member

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Russia must halt its covert development of a banned cruise missile system or the United States will seek to destroy it before it becomes operational, Washington’s envoy to NATO said on Tuesday.

The United States believes Russia is developing a ground-launched system in breach of a Cold War treaty that could allow Russia to launch a nuclear strike on Europe at short notice, but Moscow has consistently denied any such violation.

U.S. ambassador to NATO Kay Bailey Hutchison said Washington remained committed to a diplomat solution but was prepared to consider a military strike if Russian development of the medium-range system continued.

“At that point, we would be looking at the capability to take out a (Russian) missile that could hit any of our countries,” she told a news conference.

“Counter measures (by the United States) would be to take out the missiles that are in development by Russia in violation of the treaty,” she added. “They are on notice.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...arheads-if-necessary-nato-envoy-idUSKCN1MC1J6

2. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

Hmm. Saber-rattling? Or a real threat? Interesting.

3. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

That sounds like a clear message from America to Russia. It's definitely a warning of intent and a clear warning not breach that Cold War treaty.

We are back in a situation where the messages going back and forth are being delivered in non traditional ways, as in the Cold War in my opinion. Russia doesn't punish Syria for shooting it's plane and people down to their deaths, they give Syria more and better anti aircraft missile systems in a message to the States and Israel that Syria is off limits. Iran bombs American backed rebels (read not ISIS) in spite of ISIS claiming the attack in Tehran in a message to America saying the same thing.

Messages and counter messages are flying back and forth. Reading the intent is getting very interesting. It's certainly building up to war.

4. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

I think it is extremely foolish to threaten a country that has thousands of nuculear warheads they can rain down on the country doing the threatening. By my way of thinking, a threat like that justifies pre-emptive military action to neutralize the country making the threat.

Russia has a sovereign right to develop whatever weapon systems they choose, just as the U.S. does.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. Kem

Kem Citizen

Since Obama managed to do extreme damage to our military, it would not seem prudent to threaten Russia just yet. Of course there might have been a whole lot of repair in the last 2 years but it doesn't seem to be quite enough time to bring the US back to full strength in my opinion

6. lenraff

lenraff Member

I don't believe Putin takes any threats by the West or Nato seriously. (Of course, if it was Nixon making the threats he certainly would). As believers, we must keep our eyes and prayers on Israel. Everything else going on in this world is a distraction to our relationship to the King and our mission. Imo.

cchomeschoolmom likes this.