U.S. believes Russia conducting low-level nuclear tests

Almost Heaven

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States believes Russia may be conducting low-level nuclear testing in violation of a moratorium on such tests, the head of the Defense Intelligence Agency said on Wednesday.

“The United States believes that Russia probably is not adhering to its nuclear testing moratorium in a manner consistent with the ‘zero-yield’ standard,” Lieutenant General Robert P. Ashley said at an arms control forum at the Hudson Institute.

Negotiated in the 1990s, the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) enjoys wide global support but must be ratified by eight more nuclear technology states — among them Israel, Iran, Egypt and the United States — to come into force.

Russia ratified the treaty in 2000.

“We believe they have the capability in the way they are set up” to conduct low-level nuclear tests that exceed the zero yield limit set in the CTBT, Ashley said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-defense/u-s-believes-russia-conducting-low-level-nuclear-tests-official-idUSKCN1SZ1O0

athenasius

Hmm, reading the Russian response to the accusations sounds like it's accurate, they are. There is just the right amount of bluster and counter claims but no actual factual denial based on any science based tests.

Here's the quote:
"There was no immediate response from the Russian government, but the head of the Russian State Duma Defense Committee, Vladimir Shamanov, told the Interfax news agency that Ashley “could not have made a more irresponsible statement.”

“Nuclear tests cannot be carried out secretly,” it quoted him as saying.

“These kinds of statements reveal that the professionalism of the military is systemically falling in America,” Shamanov said."

Margery here: lets look closely. NO official response, but a low level official from the Russian Parliamentary Defense Committee answers instead.
That says yes, they are, but they don't want to give an official lie, and be embarrassed in public. Better let a low level guy "speak his mind" or in the words of the millennial generation-- speak "his truth".

Furthermore the low level guy immediately makes 2 comments, both of which are designed to shift the focus away from Russia's responsibility and onto the American accusers. That last statement is an open invite to "PROVE IT" but they hope you don't. Because unless you do, they can leave the battle of words having put enough doubt into everyone, that a good chunk of the west will actually believe Russia here. And furthermore they have been masters of propaganda for a very long time indeed.

"Shamanov, told the Interfax news agency that Ashley “could not have made a more irresponsible statement.”
“Nuclear tests cannot be carried out secretly,” it quoted him as saying."

Margery here, this is a classic Russian countermove, to get the enemy off it's balance by accusing it, and following thru with more accusations that serve to cloud the argument, and get their opponent off balance.

As I have often pointed out, I used to watch these tactics in action in the Russian Community Center as various ladies and gentlemen (mostly the ladies in that environment) jostled for position and pecking order. My beloved late mother in law was a master of this art and she usually came out the winner.

So translated into English from the Russian counterattack style, I'd say Russia is guilty on all counts but doesn't want to focus on it.

I really miss my father in law right now. He would have so enjoyed discussing this one with me.

Last edited:

athenasius

I appreciate the support. For some reason this just made me miss him so yesterday. Because he accepted Jesus 6 weeks or so before he died, I know he is with the Lord, and that is such a comfort too.

But if I'd been more on the ball, I'd have pointed out that this low level politico DIDN'T at any point DENY the allegations,

AND

He finished off with an insult.
“These kinds of statements reveal that the professionalism of the military is systemically falling in America,” Shamanov said."
I realized that this morning, that is almost the Russian equivalent of completely changing the subject by adding a loaded insult after 2 misleading statements.

You can go to the bank on this being a Russian way of saying,

Yeah we did it, we have a perfect right to do it, we don't care what we signed onto, if all the countries didn't sign on perfectly, it's not binding, and even if they did,

IF IT AFFECTS MOTHER RUSSIA you can go fly a kite, we are going to fly us some missiles!

And in the modern way of speaking, he adds the Russian equivalent of BITE ME!

:lol

ByGod'sGrace

I always wonder if this form of testing is practice to perfection for minimal physical destruction emp devices.
Hmmm, interesting...maybe? I'm just trying to understand why another country would use an EMP against the US....to invade afterwards, or just incapacitate us and let our country destroy itself from the inside out from the following chaos? I cannot wait until there is no more war ever again. Stupid, senseless evil and corruption. :-(

JSTyler

Hmmm, interesting...maybe? I'm just trying to understand why another country would use an EMP against the US....to invade afterwards, or just incapacitate us and let our country destroy itself from the inside out from the following chaos? I cannot wait until there is no more war ever again. Stupid, senseless evil and corruption. :-(
There's an interesting trilogy of books (they're novels, so not purely technical) by William R. Forstchen that deal with the subject of EMPs. He and Newt Gingrich have written together and William is pretty close being a an expert on the subject. They're very entertaining, if a bit harsh at times, to read. Very realistic and grim.

I have little doubt that many of our (read the west) enemies would like nothing more than to plunge us into the horrific chaos that the loss of the power grid would create. The projected statistics of loss of life is staggering. There are numerous studies that can easily be found online, inquire only if you can stomach the information.

ByGod'sGrace

There's an interesting trilogy of books (they're novels, so not purely technical) by William R. Forstchen that deal with the subject of EMPs. He and Newt Gingrich have written together and William is pretty close being a an expert on the subject. They're very entertaining, if a bit harsh at times, to read. Very realistic and grim.

I have little doubt that many of our (read the west) enemies would like nothing more than to plunge us into the horrific chaos that the loss of the power grid would create. The projected statistics of loss of life is staggering. There are numerous studies that can easily be found online, inquire only if you can stomach the information.
Oh wow! :-( I cannot wait until there is no more hate or war. Thank you for your reply. I am going to do some research. From what I'm reading already, it is really horrible! It makes me think a lot about the 1 Corinthians 13 chapter and how love is the greatest of faith, hope, and love. Love is the opposite of where the world is headed, with all of the war/anger/destruction. Hope you have a good weekend, brother!

JSTyler

Oh wow! :-( I cannot wait until there is no more hate or war. Thank you for your reply. I am going to do some research. From what I'm reading already, it is really horrible! It makes me think a lot about the 1 Corinthians 13 chapter and how love is the greatest of faith, hope, and love. Love is the opposite of where the world is headed, with all of the war/anger/destruction. Hope you have a good weekend, brother!
Hehe and oops! I forgot to add the titles. They are One Second After, One Day After & One Year After. The audio book versions were excellent. He is a Christian, though I don't know the brand of Christian. I intend/state that in a positive light.

athenasius

If you don't mind me asking, was your father-in-law Russian? or just into Russian politics?
Russian, born in St Petersburg in 1917. He and his mother and brother and sister moved to China shortly after to join his father who was employed by the Trans Siberian Railway. His father died when he was 7, and his mother eked out a scant living by turning their house into a boarding house (the kids slept out in the barn) for other railway employees.

He put himself thru Engineering in China, working his way thru. He took his Engineering exams in 3 different alphabets, and 4 different languages all of which he was fluent in. Russian (Cyrillic alphabet), Chinese (Mandarin, plus the Chinese system of writing), And French and English, which share a common alphabet.

He worked very hard all his life. He met my mil in the Russian expat colonies in China, (Yul Brynner's sister was at the convent school with my mil, they were all part of the Russian colony in China) they were married and produced my sister in law and my husband during WW 2 and then the Chinese Revolution.

During WW 2 he was interned in a Japanese internment camp and my mother in law kept herself and her baby daughter alive during that period by a number of means including stealing coal from the Japanese by putting it in the bottom of the baby buggy. Mil was his equal for resourcefulness.

When the Chinese revolution happened, they realized they had to get out again, this was the communists doing it all over again, and they both had escaped the Russian communist revolution as babies. They now had a little baby boy as well as a 7 year old daughter to think of. They applied everywhere as refugees, and of my father in law's family, one went to Australia, one to America and Fil and family to Canada.

Canada wasn't even going to accept him, he was too skinny, never could keep weight on, so mil fed him up as much as she could and he finally passed the entry physical, and promptly lost all the weight. A habit of his I envy!

In Canada his engineering papers weren't accepted so he began to work by day for BC Hydro and study at night and weekends. He took his exams for the fifth time (in China there were 4 separate exams in all 4 languages, and 3 alphabets-- you had to pass ALL of those separately.). He continued to work for BC Hydro as an engineer now, and enjoyed a very long and well respected career. He left his mark in this province, he continued to work a few years past retirement both for Hydro and a consulting firm he co-owned with another engineer.

During those years my mil worked at a fish packing plant so she could take the winters off to be home, the grannies both lived with them and fought daily battles which she would come home to settle, exhausted and weary. Not easy years at all, but they both kept working and building for the future. They were an integral part of the Russian expat colony in Vancouver, and were an important part of the Russian Orthodox church.

In the middle of all this he used to do technical translation work for the Canadian Govt, and during the latter years of the Cold War and even into the 90's he was working to help visiting Russian delegations understand technical terms and allowing them to communicate with our people.

In case you wonder, he was a "white" Russian, meaning loyal to the Tsar and family and a royalist NOT A COMMUNIST! The "reds" were the Communists. And during the Cold War era, they lost family to both Russian and Chinese communists. Mil's brother was murdered by the Chinese just before he was due to leave to join them in Canada. And another brother of my mil went back to Russia in 1950, there was an amnesty for the Russian colony, and he sent a couple of letters out but then the Cold War really got going, and he sent a final letter to warn them never to try to communicate again, they could be killed for it. After Glasnost, they made 2 trips to Russia, but were unable to find the lost family.

He had a passion for physics-- was reading up on Quantum physics and auditing some university level stuff with that, math was always a passion and engineering subjects of all kinds, but he deeply enjoyed talking politics as well. He kept up with modern Russian news and politics via the internet, and we used to talk about Putin, the rise to power, the oligarchy and other subjects.

He remained fluent in all 4 languages to the end. He was brushing up on his written Chinese as recently as last year, because he liked to read Chinese as well as Russian. He enjoyed French, the last time I heard him in French was in 2006 I think, I happened to be there watching as he met a Spanish speaker when we were on a trip to Cuba, who couldn't speak anything other than a bit of French. Fil had a lovely time. The Spanish man struggled a bit, but was game.

He died at the age of 102, and people still remember him at Hydro.

Thank you for asking. I loved him very much as did George, his sister and the grandkids and great grandkids. He died 22 days ago. Much loved, much missed.

Last edited:

athenasius

And not to put too fine a point on it, my late mil and fil came as refugees, never had any handouts, supported themselves and their entire family including the grannies, and became CANADIANS, loyal Canadians, serving CANADA!

They never had a divided loyalty or some kind of hyphenated citizenship.

They kept Russian Easter because that matters more in the Orthodox church as it should, and celebrated Canadian Christmas in order to be good Canadians.

They paid their taxes, they were honest and they never in a million years would have plotted against their own country, unlike some recent "immigrants" that come illegally and don't want to integrate. There IS a difference. I wish our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau could see that.

Because when people say that refugees come and help build our nation, they are thinking of people like my in laws, but the people who move here to force Islam on the West, and to enjoy welfare benefits or who jump the lines and take someone else's place who was waiting legally and peacefully and properly, are NOT the kind of nation building immigrants that my inlaws were.

Under Stephen Harper we were taking in record numbers of wonderful Coptic christians out of the Middle Eastern persecutions, and I remember one young man well. He ended up on the news, for his efforts to give BACK to Canada. He was a former Egyptian Coptic Christian, and he wasn't the only one.

Under Trudeau Canada has been mostly welcoming illegals, criminals and welfare recipients galore.

Although we have recently welcomed Asia Bibi (the Pakistani Christian jailed under a death sentence for insulting the prophet of Islam which she didn't do).

Last edited:

athenasius

I think mil might be there too, we had many talks before she died, and it was fil's salvation that worried us the most. Mil said she believed in God, and that Jesus was the only way to heaven, thru the Cross. Fil up till a few weeks before his death didn't believe in much of anything, God was an abstract. Till that evening he called saying he was dying. And we talked, and he accepted Christ. It was the one and only time. After that he was too ill, or distracted to talk anymore about it. I loved my inlaws dearly. They gave me total culture shock, much amusement, unlimited love and a lot of joy not to mention my beloved husband George.