U.S. ambassador to U.N. warns China would be crossing a ‘red line’ if it provides lethal aid to Russia

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
China would be crossing a “red line” if it provided lethal aid to Russia in its war in Ukraine, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations warned Sunday.

“We welcome the Chinese announcement that they want peace, because that’s what we always want to pursue in situations like this. But we also have to be clear that if there are any thoughts and efforts by the Chinese and others to provide lethal support to the Russians in their brutal attack against Ukraine that that is unacceptable,” Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield said in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“That would be a red line,” she said.

The Biden administration is prepared to compete with China and, "when necessary, to confront the Chinese,” Thomas-Greenfield said, adding: “And that’s what we’re doing. And that’s what we will continue to do to ensure that our national interests are always at the forefront."

https://news.yahoo.com/u-ambassador-u-n-warns-220812638.html

I don't think the threats the USA makes have any teeth anymore. Countries have devised a myriad of ways to keep trading with other partners... several, maybe many countries that no longer put much weight to US sanctions... The USA is no longer the boss of this world, but a laughing stock even to 3rd world nations.

Carl

But it is ok for Iran to supply Russia with missiles? Look at it from the side of who was attacked.
A pretty big double standard there, we can help Ukraine, but China can't help Russia. No wonder we have lost all respect in the world.
Ukraine is the victim here. They have been attacked by Russia for no reason at all. Another words helping Russia is like helping a bully pick on his victim.

ShilohRose

Biden's red line is probably the same as Obama's. It's stupid to threaten when everyone knows you're bluffing and won't do diddlysquat. Anyway, I have no desire for the U.S. to go to war with China over Russia. I think the Biden Administration is just trying to look tough for the American public, trying to save face.

Jaybird

Since China manufactures hundreds of things that are vital and that the US has to import from China, it's China that has the power. They could stop exporting, say, medicines to the US for just 3 months... imagine that.
Don't forget that Hunter Biden is heavily involved with business deals in China. I hear they also love his artwork. The Big Guy won't get his "cut" any more. With that in mind war sounds like a terrible idea.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
China IS a red line.

Cross THAT and it will get bad.

You need to maintain Respect, but Trust must be earned.

Our illustrious leadership has tossed both. Hopefully there is enough Fear of some members in our system that the world powers are at least cautious.

Back