Two dead, nine missing in Pennsylvania chocolate factory explosion

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Two dead, nine missing in Pennsylvania chocolate factory explosion
The tragedy struck the R.M. Palmer Company, which says on its website it has been making candy since 1948, specializing in seasonal items for Easter, Halloween and Valentine's Day.
By REUTERS

Two people were dead and nine missing after an explosion ripped through a chocolate factory in West Reading, Pennsylvania, on Friday, officials said. The blast sent flames, smoke, dust and debris skyward, video of the moment captured by WTXF television showed. "There are still rescue efforts under way at the scene," West Reading Police Chief Wayne Holden said in a brief statement he read to reporters.

more............. https://www.jpost.com/international/article-735359

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Local coverage, with photos

Rescuers comb Pa. chocolate plant rubble with ‘hope that others still may be found’​

Updated: Mar. 25, 2023, 3:12 p.m.|
Published: Mar. 25, 2023, 1:51 p.m.

"Rescue crews using dogs and imaging equipment continued to search through the rubble Saturday — hours after the blast that erupted just before 5 p.m. Friday at the R.M. Palmer Co. plant in the borough of West Reading."

"Chief of Police Wayne Holben said the rescue of one person from the rubble “provides hope that others still may be found.” Rescue workers were continuing a thorough search using specialized equipment and techniques. Officials said dogs and imaging equipment were being used to look for signs of life during the careful removal of debris.
Holben said the blast destroyed one building and damaged a neighboring building. The cause remains under investigation, he said.
“It’s pretty leveled,” Mayor Samantha Kaag said of the explosion site. “The building in the front, with the church and the apartments, the explosion was so big that it moved that building four feet forward.”"

More
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2023/...with-hope-that-others-still-may-be-found.html

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

Death toll from chocolate factory explosion rises to 7​

Published: Mar. 26, 2023, 9:43 p.m.

"West Reading officials say they located two more bodies in the rubble of a chocolate factory that exploded Friday, bringing the death toll to seven.
Although the last two bodies fund must still be positively identified, borough officials say they believe all who were listed as missing since the explosion at the RM Palmer plant have now been accounted for.
One body was found about 6:15 p.m. Sunday. The lat body was discovered at 8:20 p.m."

"Officials said they do not expect to reveal the identities of the dead until families have been notified and given time to inform all their loved ones.
Officials said they had no update on the condition of a woman pulled alive from the rubble early Saturday. Kaag said she had apparently been on the second floor and was found in a “hopeful circumstance,” calling out to rescuers despite her injuries after a dog located her."

More
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2023/03/death-toll-from-chocolate-factory-explosion-rises-to-7.html

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

Wow, that's really sad, :pray ing for everyone involved. :pray

Can't help but to notice another factory going down.....

Right before Easter, and they make a lot of Easter candy. Fortunately, most stores already have their allotments or the candy's already in the pipeline and distribution centers.

I'm waiting to see what the official determination is. I'm familiar with the area and don't want to speculate.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
RM Palmer is the chocolate company. They have a coupe locations around Reading PA.
This one is in West Reading very close to the Penn Ave/ 422-West Shore Bypass interchange.

So far it it is suspected that gas service/or internal device leaked gas and fueled the blast.
There appear to be 3 primary buildings involved: a church/apartment that was moved a few feet toward Penn avenue,
a similar middle building - part of the plant- leveled by the blast, and a larger factory building that was damaged. The blast also damaged other nearby buildings and was within several feet of a major rail-line [Norfolk Southern]

God was merciful in that hazardous rail traffic was not going by at that moment.

Praying for injured and families involved in this :pray There have been a few different reports on casualties.

Ghoti Ichthus

I can't say because I haven't looked it up... but I do know that Hershey's chocolate has a big factory in PA We went to Hershey PA for a vacation once and the air smelled like chocolate.

RM Palmer is a family-owned company (started in 1948). They produce for themselves and have a network of distributors. Depending on where you live you may have purchased and eaten their candy.

RM Palmer is not associated with Hershey's, Wilburs, etc.

Wally

I can't say because I haven't looked it up... but I do know that Hershey's chocolate has a big factory in PA We went to Hershey PA for a vacation once and the air smelled like chocolate.
Much of the old Hershey factory has been demolished. There are now upscale stores in that area.

There is a new plant to the west of Hershey/Hershey Park.

RM Palmer is a seperate company that dominates the Easter candy market around here. I believe they pioneered hollow chocolate figures and provide much of the low cost candies. Quality seems to depend on which item you buy.

The Old Wilbur factory in Lititz is gone and now has other business, hotel and apartments on the site

Ghoti Ichthus

Much of the old Hershey factory has been demolished. There are now upscale stores in that area.

There is a new plant to the west of Hershey/Hershey Park.

RM Palmer is a seperate company that dominates the Easter candy market around here. I believe they pioneered hollow chocolate figures and provide much of the low cost candies. Quality seems to depend on which item you buy.

The Old Wilbur factory in Lititz is gone and now has other business, hotel and apartments on the site

Hershey's moved a lot of their manufacturing to Mexico as a result of NAFTA :mad

Did Wilbur's move their factory someplace else? Is their store on the corner in Lititz still there? Do they still have a place over at the Green Dragon?

Last edited:

Wally

I believe Wilbur moved manufacturing to a new plant west of downtown Lititz across for the Bayer plant.

The corner store moved across the street (Rt 501) to an outlet store and the old factory is a hotel and shoppes.

I haven't been to Green Dragon in years, but many of the local grocery stores have Wilbur Buds in the bulk food sections.
Dark are the best, but many years ago you could get white choc Buds at the Lititz store only. Buds pre-date Kisses by a few years.

Ghoti Ichthus

I believe Wilbur moved manufacturing to a new plant west of downtown Lititz across for the Bayer plant.

The corner store moved across the street (Rt 501) to an outlet store and the old factory is a hotel and shoppes.

I haven't been to Green Dragon in years, but many of the local grocery stores have Wilbur Buds in the bulk food sections.
Dark are the best, but many years ago you could get white choc Buds at the Lititz store only. Buds pre-date Kisses by a few years.

I preferred the dark ones, too.

Hey, have a Weaver's Lebanon Bologna sandwich (on Pumpernickel and Romaine) and some Good's potato chips for me some day :smile
I haven't had either in many years. Shipping would be more than ordering and having the cold cuts sent (sliced or the whole chub)

Maybe some day, road trip!

Wally

My favorite was Peter Bros Summer Sausage - Lenhartsville. But Jack retired and the shop closed. (I used to work at a store in Hamburg PA)
Deer bologna comes the closest to that.

:thumbup on Pumpernickel - Utz Pumpernickel Store Stix pretzels are my favorite.

Dieffenbach's is the preferred lard/shortening chip for my family that like that type. I'm Utz / Bickels veg oil fan. Clanceys at Aldi are good too.

Order the chips in the box. They generally survive shipping. While son was in Alex, we shipped a PA survival kit that included Dieffenbachs and his favorite - Swedish fish.

Now if I could just get Smith's Candies to carry Willey Wallaby's licorice beans (black bag)

Oh well maybe someday Fleet Farm will open a place in Lebanon.

Ghoti Ichthus

My favorite was Peter Bros Summer Sausage - Lenhartsville. But Jack retired and the shop closed. (I used to work at a store in Hamburg PA)
Deer bologna comes the closest to that.

:thumbup on Pumpernickel - Utz Pumpernickel Store Stix pretzels are my favorite.

Dieffenbach's is the preferred lard/shortening chip for my family that like that type. I'm Utz / Bickels veg oil fan. Clanceys at Aldi are good too.

Order the chips in the box. They generally survive shipping. While son was in Alex, we shipped a PA survival kit that included Dieffenbachs and his favorite - Swedish fish.

Now if I could just get Smith's Candies to carry Willey Wallaby's licorice beans (black bag)

Oh well maybe someday Fleet Farm will open a place in Lebanon.

Once I have my own place again, I'm going to see if I can get a local store to carry the Weaver's Lebanon Bologna :biggrin A place in Missouri used to be able to get Good's :smile Wonder if it'll be served at the Wedding Supper? :lol

I didn't like the lard Good's, definitely preferred the veggie oil ones :smile

Some Ace Hardware stores and Walgreen's carry Swedish Fish :smile

Back