Turtles.

Jonathan

A professor teaching physics at a prominent university was talking about the earth, it's nature, orbit, etc. when an elderly lady in the back of the room stood up and yelled "That's BS! Everyone knows the world is flat!"

The professor condescendingly rubbed his chin with a chuckle and asked the woman "What do you think is holding the earth up??"

"A turtle!!!"

"Really?" the professor asked. "What is holding up the turtle?"

The lady cut to the chase and yelled "You can't fool me! I know where you are going with this, but it's turtles! Turtles ALL THE WAY DOWN!"

ETA: I basically had to improvise that joke because I couldn't find the version I originally heard. Also, in addition to being funny (at least to me), like a lot of jokes, it has greater implications hidden within it.

Last edited:

Andy C

A professor teaching physics at a prominent university was talking about the earth, it's nature, orbit, etc. when an elderly lady in the back of the room stood up and yelled "That's BS! Everyone knows the world is flat!"

The professor condescendingly rubbed his chin with a chuckle and asked the woman "What do you think is holding the earth up??"

"A turtle!!!"

"Really?" the professor asked. "What is holding up the turtle?"

The lady cut to the chase and yelled "You can't fool me! I know where you are going with this, but it's turtles! Turtles ALL THE WAY DOWN!"

ETA: I basically had to improvise that joke because I couldn't find the version I originally heard. Also, in addition to being funny (at least to me), like a lot of jokes, it has greater implications hidden within it.
I dont get it????

alisani

It didn't help me either. I'm thinking maybe @alisani will understand all those words and will be able to explain it to us. She's pretty smart that way.

If what I found had said "turtles have strong backs", I'd of been able to accept that.
I'm making some guesses here but geoterrapinism is an almost universal underpinning of many indigenous mythologies, especially Indian and North American First Nation cultures. This idea gained traction during the European Age of Enlightment as Europeans began their quests for global riches and domination. They brought back written recordings of the creation stories and mythologies of these new cultures. So this concept was bantered about as a pseudoscientific concept. And many, including Locke, put their own humanist slant on such ideas and for a time, such ideas proliferated. Most eventually abandoned such ideas, realizing nothing about science validated such thought. But, like every other diversion created by dirty face, some have embraced. DH is a man of physics and engineering and the flat earthers and their conventions drive him batty! lol

These days, there are groups of deluded folks that have created some hybrid beliefs which posit the turtle to be a god of sorts, with our planet resting on his back as he travels the cosmos. New Age spiritualism allows people to pick and choose their spiritual beliefs like you and I would choose burger toppings. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the scifi/fantasy author Terry Pratchett, but he was a big fan of geoterrapinism. There are many like him who want to believe in anything that frees them from the moral absolutes of the One True God. So yes, there are flat earthers who believe we swim through space on a turtle with edged walls that prevent us from falling over the side and into space.

Turtles all the way down, as TT explained, is this idea that our world turtle rests upon the back of another, larger turtle, who rests on another larger turtle and so on. Don't look for logic in this one, fellas. This is simply a demonic device used to keep the lost, lost.

As for how or why Jonathan finds this funny, I can only say: :loco:loco:loco

@Jonathan :hug:hehee:book you're supposed to be reading that book, remember??!!

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
You are so adorable
Hey I'm not posting too often anymore and I kept meaning to post in your covid recovery thread.....SO THANKFUL to God that you and Hubs made it through. I got so worried about you when you stopped posting because I knew you had covid. I went thru my own Covid in September and it was horrible but not even close to what you went through. Lifting you up right now that you both will continue to go forward in healing and in life.