TURKEY SAYS IT WILL STAND BY LIBYAN GOVERNMENT UNTIL PEACE ESTABLISHED

John Romans

Looks like Turkey is bringing together another alliance of Gog Magog.

Turkey will stand by the internationally recognized government of Libya until peace, stability and security is established in the country, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Sunday, after the two countries signed a military cooperation accord last month.

Turkey backs the government of Fayez al-Serraj in Libya, which has been split into rival political and military factions since 2011. Ankara has said it could send troops to Libya if the Serraj government makes such a request. The two countries also signed a maritime boundaries deal that has enraged Greece.

Akar was speaking at an event in the northern province of Kocaeli.
https://m.jpost.com/Breaking-News/T...yan-government-until-peace-established-611740

athenasius

Libya and Turkey are doing it to prevent the Israeli pipeline and Israeli offshore drilling. Turkey is aiming to destroy Greek claims on any of the oil fields off Cyprus as well as prevent Israel from sending their oil and gas north into Greece and from there to Europe. Turkey wants some oil for themselves off the coast of Cyprus.

-- I think Russia won't mind Turkey doing that, even if it pits them against each other in Libya. Russia is going to use any agreement like that when they finish the Libyan takeover. Pre existing agreements will stand with the new Libyan government and serve Russia fine especially if Turkey did the preliminary work to get those agreements in writing.

At some point Turkey will be forced out of this game, as Russia won't tolerate competition. Till then I can see Russia tolerating Turkey's efforts if it pays off for Russia in the long run.

And by stopping Israel's pipeline to Greece, that stops competition for Russia's Nordstream 1 and 2 that is currently supplying or about to supply Europe with Russian oil and gas.

daygo

Libya and Turkey are doing it to prevent the Israeli pipeline and Israeli offshore drilling. Turkey is aiming to destroy Greek claims on any of the oil fields off Cyprus as well as prevent Israel from sending their oil and gas north into Greece and from there to Europe. Turkey wants some oil for themselves off the coast of Cyprus.

-- I think Russia won't mind Turkey doing that, even if it pits them against each other in Libya. Russia is going to use any agreement like that when they finish the Libyan takeover. Pre existing agreements will stand with the new Libyan government and serve Russia fine especially if Turkey did the preliminary work to get those agreements in writing.

At some point Turkey will be forced out of this game, as Russia won't tolerate competition. Till then I can see Russia tolerating Turkey's efforts if it pays off for Russia in the long run.

And by stopping Israel's pipeline to Greece, that stops competition for Russia's Nordstream 1 and 2 that is currently supplying or about to supply Europe with Russian oil and gas.
Good points athenasius.

Cindy S.

Meanwhile here in the USA, gas is pretty cheap, under $2.50 per gallon in Michigan although I DO remember when it was .89 LOL and I"m not THAT old!

athenasius

Daygo, our prices in Canada are much higher too.

It's just the American's are now producing and consuming their own oil and gas. They aren't paying for a supply problem, due to President Trump allowing drilling and refining of their own oil, they are paying a lot less. Our production due to temperatures, production costs and taxes levied on the companies producing it are more expensive than in most of the States. Then our governments charge more in taxes so the cost is way different.

Here in Kamloops it's $1.35 per litre ($5.60 per US gallon and our dollar is worth about 80 cents to their dollar) and spiked to $1.60 a litre late fall. When we moved here a little over 20 years ago it was 60 cents per litre.

In Vancouver it's usually much higher due to extra city taxes about 10 cents per litre more.