Trust and Obey

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Trust and Obey
By Nathele Graham

As Christians, we have a guide for life. We have the Holy Spirit living inside of us to guide our steps day by day. We also have God’s word…Scripture.

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments. I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.” – Psalm 119:105-107.

The Book of Psalms is a hymnal with deep meanings in each verse. Today we have many songs that we sing on Sunday mornings, but I often wonder how many people really pay attention to the words. I was one who sang the songs and didn’t really think about the words. The tune was memorized, and I sang the words without really paying attention to what I sang. Shame on me! I’ve found that hymns can be little “mini-sermons”. When we feel a joyful praise for God, what better song than to sing “How Great Thou Art”. It speaks to the majesty of God. In times of distress, it’s comforting to sing “It is Well With My Soul”, And in times of awe over the amazing love and forgiveness God shows us, there’s very few songs that can match “Amazing Grace”. Sometimes we can become upset when God seems to not hear our prayers. When we feel far away from Him obeying, that’s when by faith we need to trust Him. We also need to examine our life and see if we are His word.

TRUST AND OBEY
Written by John H. Sammis

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

When we first come to Jesus, there’s usually a joy that carries us through whatever crisis we might be facing. As time goes on, sometimes we slip back into old ways of living.

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;” – 2 Corinthians 5: 17-18.

Faith in Christ should bring about a change in our ways. Scripture should guide our ways…it should be a lamp unto our feet and it should light our path so we follow Him. The “old man” is the sin nature we once found nothing wrong with, but if you’ve found salvation through the shed blood of Jesus Christ, then you are a new creation. Anger, pride, jealousy, and love of worldly things should have no place in your life. There are things inspired by Satan.

“But ye have not so learned Christ; If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” – Ephesians 4:20-24.

In the King James language, “conversation” means your way of life, so the old sinful way of life needs to give way to the way of Christ. Your way of life needs to be living for Christ.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

There will always be challenges in life that can cast a shadow over our faith. Health issues, death of loved ones, financial troubles, war, fear of news headlines, and much more. I have faced all of these issues in my nearly 70 years in this life. There have been many challenges to my faith, as I’m sure you’ve faced trials. Something I’ve learned is that Scripture is where truth is found. The truth is that I can always trust God to always be there. It’s my attitude towards all the turmoil in life that makes a difference. As I watch prophecy unfold, I can either watch the secular news and let my mind and soul be troubled with all trouble and woe that Satan can unleash, or I can turn to God. I can trust Him, and if I obey His word, my soul is at peace with whatever this world has to throw my way.

“Be careful for nothing, but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7.

God’s peace cannot be found anywhere or any way, but trusting and obeying Him.

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

We are saved by our faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We cannot earn our salvation, but we can earn treasure which is laid up in Heaven. It may sometimes seem as if this life isn’t worth the pain. On the other hand, if we only see our own little world and the troubles therein, we cause our own pain and suffering. If we never experience the joy of our salvation if we don’t look outside of our troubles and reach out to others in need. Instead of seeing things as being all about you, show compassion to others. Instead of being angry because someone hurt you or bruised your pride, look upon them as someone with their own hurts and wounded pride. As Jesus hung on the cross, He looked down upon the people who had beaten Him, mocked Him, whipped Him, and driven spikes into His hands and feet, He didn’t call down curses upon them. He loved them.

“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.” – Luke 23:34.

His blood flowed out of Him, and it was for you and me that He died. He forgives you of the many sins you commit daily, but if you ask Him, He will forgive you. He’s forgiven me of so much, and I’m so grateful.

“And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” – Mark 8:34.

Everyone who heard knew exactly what the cross meant…it meant death. We are to put our selfish pride to death and follow Christ. Let go of the old things that keep you angry and upset, and, as Paul wrote to the Christians in Ephesus,

“And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” – Ephesians 4:23-24.

Trust Him and obey Him and you will find that your life will be filled with many blessings.

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

The Holy Spirit will open many doors for you to comfort others, because of what you’ve experienced in life. The good things and the bad things will allow you to empathize with other people. Give all to Jesus. Lay every hurt, every heartache, every angry word you’ve even spoken in hatred and anger upon the altar. Let these things live inside you no more Let the Holy Spirit guide you to guide you to using your experiences in life to glorify God. You’ll find that all the hurtful thoughts and words that boil up inside you, only hurt others, and they hurt you.

“No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” – Luke 16:13.

Allow Jesus to be your master and obey Him. Only He can be trusted.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way,
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Fellowship. The Greek word is” koinonia” and means association, community, communion, joint participation”. Can you even imagine the joy of one day sitting at Jesus’ feet in pure and sweet fellowship? I long for perfect fellowship with Christ. Will that day come after my death, or will I be taken in the Rapture? I have no way of knowing, but I yearn for the Rapture. It will be then that my human nature to sin will be gone, and I will do His bidding with no doubt. Until then, I will do what I can here in this life to serve Him. Scripture tells us to be careful who we fellowship with:

“And be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?” – 2 Corinthians 6:14.

Have fellowship with fellow believers and help each other to trust and obey Jesus.

Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey

Are you happy in Jesus? If not, then maybe it’s time to trust Him and obey Him.

“Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.” – Jude 1:24-25.

God bless you all,

Nathele Grahams
[email protected]
[email protected]

All original scripture is “theopneustos” God breathed.

If you’d like to be on my mailing list to receive the commentaries just drop me an email and let me know.

https://www.raptureforums.com/ron-nathele-graham/trust-and-obey/

Back