Trump warns Senate not to approve war powers resolution on Iran

Almost Heaven

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday warned the Senate against adopting a resolution that would curb his ability to wage war against Iran, saying it would send “a very bad signal” and allow Tehran to act with impunity.

“It is very important for our Country’s SECURITY that the United States Senate not vote for the Iran War Powers Resolution. We are doing very well with Iran and this is not the time to show weakness,” Trump, a Republican, tweeted.

Democrats last month said they had the votes in the Republican-controlled chamber to approve the measure, which would require the president to seek congressional authorization for military action against Iran.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-congress-trump/trump-warns-senate-not-to-approve-war-powers-resolution-on-iran-idUSKBN2062OE

Footsteps

There are many things we look forward to during the Millennial Kingdom. One of mine is good government. The best form of government is a benign monarchy. That's what we'll have when He rules the nations with a rod of iron. We won't need to ask Mother May I when force is needed. We won't need to defend against hoaxes instead of passing legislation. In fact, we won't need to poll Congress to determine whether Jesus' ordinance is approved. We won't need the United Nations to define right and wrong. We won't need a religious organization to interpret Scripture. There will be One who will open all eyes.

DanLMP

well if the house has anything to say about it then, yeah..they have the votes...but..can't he just veto it again?...
In neither the House nor the Senate does one party have a 2/3 majority. Even with the 8 Republican votes the Senate does not have enough votes to overrule a Presidential veto.

If both the House and Senate can get that 2/3 majority to overrule the veto then the measure passes. It has to be both chambers, not just one.The President does not get a second chance to veto.

House: 197 Republicans, 232 Democrats, 1 Independent, 5 vacancies = 435
Senate: 53 Republicans, 45 Democrats, 2 Independents = 100

Footsteps

Nothing like trying to tie Trump's hands on IRAN of all places. Daily Iran's leadership vows to destroy us.
I guess we will have to rely on Israel to take out Iran's nuclear facilities. Adam Schiff would keep us filling out paperwork if an ICBM were being moved to a launch pad.
The timing of this is unbelievable. It's TIME for Congress to find some work to do.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Huh?....I don't get this post....sorry..after a reread of the thread I get it....I can't believe they passed it..looks to me like the Democratic swamp isn't the only one that needs to be drained..
There are plenty of swamp rats in the Republican party. A lot of them didn't run for re-election last time around so there are fewer now than there were. Both parties are corrupt... The dem party just seems more bent on every kind of evil.

DMac

There are plenty of swamp rats in the Republican party. A lot of them didn't run for re-election last time around so there are fewer now than there were.
Isn't that why we have a Democrat controlled House? Most of those who didn't run, probably would have won as incumbents and we would have kept the House. Wonder what it would have been like not having three years of impeachment nonsense.

twerpv

In neither the House nor the Senate does one party have a 2/3 majority. Even with the 8 Republican votes the Senate does not have enough votes to overrule a Presidential veto.

If both the House and Senate can get that 2/3 majority to overrule the veto then the measure passes. It has to be both chambers, not just one.The President does not get a second chance to veto.

House: 197 Republicans, 232 Democrats, 1 Independent, 5 vacancies = 435
Senate: 53 Republicans, 45 Democrats, 2 Independents = 100

Dan, great post and the one following. Those that wrote the Constitution really knew what they were doing (Divine??). They saw that a President needs the ability to operate freely yet without impunity. Therefore making it really hard to override the person elected to the office.

Lovin Jesus

They got eight Republicans on board. Sounds like they didn't have the 2/3 votes to override a Presidential veto on limiting the war powers of the President.

Last edited: