Trump fires John Bolton

Almost Heaven

WASHINGTON — President Trump fired John R. Bolton, his third national security adviser, on Tuesday amid fundamental disagreements over how to handle major foreign policy challenges like Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan.
Mr. Trump announced the decision on Twitter. “I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House. I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration, and therefore I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning. I thank John very much for his service. I will be naming a new National Security Advisor next week.”
His departure comes as Mr. Trump is pursuing diplomatic openings with two of the United States’ most intractable enemies, efforts that have troubled hard-liners in the administration, like Mr. Bolton, who view North Korea and Iran as profoundly untrustworthy.
The president has continued to court Kim Jong-un, the repressive leader of North Korea, despite Mr. Kim’s refusal to surrender his nuclear program and despite repeated short-range missile tests by the North that have rattled its neighbors. In recent days, Mr. Trump has expressed a willingness to meet with President Hassan Rouhani of Iran under the right circumstances, and even to extend short-term financing to Tehran, although the offer has so far been rebuffed.

To his admirers, Mr. Bolton was supposed to be a check on what they feared would be naïve diplomacy, a cleareyed realist who would keep a president without prior experience in foreign affairs from giving away the store to wily adversaries. But Mr. Trump has long complained privately that Mr. Bolton was too willing to get the United States into another war.
The tension between the men was aggravated in recent months by the president’s decisions to call off a planned airstrike on Iran in retaliation for the downing of an American surveillance drone and to meet with Mr. Kim at the Demilitarized Zone and cross over into North Korea.

Mr. Bolton favored the strike on Iran and publicly criticized recent North Korean missile tests that Mr. Trump brushed off. After the president arranged the DMZ meeting with Mr. Kim via a last-minute Twitter message, Mr. Bolton opted not to accompany him and instead proceeded on a previously scheduled trip to Mongolia.
The rift between the president and his national security adviser owed as much to personality as to policy. The president never warmed to him, a dynamic that is often fatal in this White House. Mr. Bolton also clashed with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/us/politics/john-bolton-national-security-adviser-trump.html

Andy C

Its getting impossible to keep up with who is still a key player in his administration. Many talented people wont work for the President, and those that do either quit or get fired.

I have always respected John Bolton views on foreign policy, and its sad to see him go.

This President whom I still support seems to alienate folks on both sides of the aisle.

This next election is going to be much closer than it needs to be.

TimeWarpWife

Gotta side with Mr. Bolton ~ Iran and NK are NOT to be trusted. These nations are run by raving lunatics and personally I believe Kim's latest missile tests are also a test to see what the President will do, which in this case, was nothing. While POTUS has done a lot of good things for the country, making nice with someone like Kim, who I truly believe is mentally unstable, is beyond my scope of understanding. :idunno I'm also concerned about how many great people who've been in this administration and have either quit or been fired ~ General Mattis and now John Bolton, who are great at what they do, forced to resign doesn't sit right with me. While POTUS is the best with things in the business and financial areas, he is not as savvy, nor does he have the experience in dealing with military and foreign relations matters. You can't deal nicely with foreign dictators like Kim as you would some CEO of a Fortune 500 company in a business deal. Sometimes I think the President's ego gets the better of him and he's not taking the right advice of people more experienced in military and foreign policy than he.

Last edited:

antitox

Just because Trump may play nicey and say nicey doesn't mean he trusts them. But what he's done for many years is schmooze his clients and that's what he's trying to do. He'll say things that you think are not safe but he has to put on that air so he can get his foot in the door. After he became president, I then began to see some of his footwork and it impressed me. Maybe I should read his art of the deal.

Andy C

Why cant the President take the high road for once. Why do we now have to decide who we believe, Bolton or Trump, as to wether he resigned or was fired.

Let it go Mr President. You remind me of a toddler at times that always has to get the last words in, just like with the tweeting about the projected path of hurricane Dorian. Why make himself the story, vice the actual event speaking for itself?

Im really getting tired of trying to reinvent ways to defend this Presidents odd, and childish behavior.

His policies work very well. His mouth...not so much.

Lets hope and pray this is the last Trump......

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (1Cor 15:52)

Last edited:

antitox

Don't worry he'll fire somebody else. He's been known for this. He wants absolute results or he gets somebody else. He's not a politician, he's a businessman and he will do everything to get what he wants. If he has too much resistance on-board, he knows it will hamstring his efforts, so he's working to get what will help things move forward. He doesn't like bottlenecks, anemia, or anything that slows him down.

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
This is interesting. I am up in the air. All the comments are good and make sense. I just hope he really knows what he is doing. Obviously, there are secrets when it comes to national security we are not privy to. So maybe that's it. Not sure.

Saved and Waiting

Interesting times, right?? I voted for Donald Trump for several reasons....admittedly voting for him against Hillary was very easy for me. Also, he wasn't a Washington politician and I was ready for his big mouth and at times seemingly childish behavior. As I look at the Democrats actions before, during, and since President Trump being elected, can any of us doubt they all have been acting like children having a hissy-fit EVERYDAY for the last 3 years (and before)?? His tweeting is aggravating but with the hatred and outright lies and made up garbage about him from the press and so many others, I suppose I would resort to just about any means available to me to get the truth out to the American people. We who voted for him, I believe, heard what he wanted to do for America....change for the better and I believe he has continued to fulfill the promises he made despite all Hell against him. I like John Bolton but I'm going to trust that God sees and knows all the "behind the scenes" goings on and that Mr. Bolton will be replaced by the person who needs to be in there NOW. I am one who wonders if Donald Trump is a very good actor (think Ronald Reagan) and although appearing a little dense or unwise at times, he not only keeps his friends close but his enemies closer and knows exactly how to maneuver in this ever changing world. God obviously thought different than Mr. Bolton in striking Iran a while back and it didn't happen. I prefer to look at that as God's decision, not President Trumps. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to pop more popcorn, sit back, put my legs up, and trust our God completely. I believe that's exactly what He wants us to do...Trust Him.

Hidden

Hmm...Although a strong presence, I find Mr. Bolton a little too trigger-happy. He was pushing for war with Iran last June, but thank God Trump decided to abort the strikes at the last minute. I think Trump may come off as a loose cannon at times, but his moves are mature, tactical, and with calculation.

anath

I Love the Lord
I like John Bolton but I'm going to trust that God sees and knows all the "behind the scenes" goings on and that Mr. Bolton will be replaced by the person who needs to be in there NOW. I am one who wonders if Donald Trump is a very good actor (think Ronald Reagan) and although appearing a little dense or unwise at times, he not only keeps his friends close but his enemies closer and knows exactly how to maneuver in this ever changing world. God obviously thought different than Mr. Bolton in striking Iran a while back and it didn't happen. I prefer to look at that as God's decision, not President Trumps. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to pop more popcorn, sit back, put my legs up, and trust our God completely. I believe that's exactly what He wants us to do...Trust Him.
I'm with you Saved and Waiting :thumbup

Whatever Trumps personality or his behavior, I believe the Lord is using him precisely into bring about His plan.
It's all about God fulfilling His plan for these end times.

God is just soooo Sovereign(I know that word can't be modified) GOD is the supreme authority and all things are under His control.

Last edited:

antitox

Just for the record, I just read Yahoo's article that says, "Trump Fires Bolton and It's a Bad Sign." I wrote it is not a bad sign. Funny how they hated Bolton when he came on, but now they say it's bad that he's going. Oh really? How bout making up your mind, yahoo? The bias in the news is unbelievable.