Trucks

Andy C

I drove F250s as daily drivers for a few decades before I ever sat in the driver seat of a half ton. The half ton felt like a toy that first time.
In all actuality, my recently sold 3500 was much easier driving around town as my daily vehicle than my previous 2012 RAM 3500, which had duallys. The fat back end made parking a real pain, and was challenging on narrow streets with cars parked a little to far from the curbs.

Andy C

Using a HD pickup as a daily driver is a bit much. I'd only consider getting one if we got a trailer that called for it. Right now the new trailer we got a few months ago fits my 1500 perfectly.

My wife hated the bathroom and small shower in the last one we had and I wanted something shorter. Our new one is only 29' vs 33' for the old one. It's a little lighter but weight was never an issue. The only weight I worried about was the tongue weight. Because this one is shorter and it has wide stance axels the loaded tongue is much lighter even though the dry tongue was almost the same. The new trailer is 850 loaded and the old one was 1100. Both were around the 650-670 range dry.
You are talking about an RV trailer, only weighing 1100 pounds?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
In all actuality, my recently sold 3500 was much easier driving around town as my daily vehicle than my previous 2012 RAM 3500, which had duallys. The fat back end made parking a real pain, and was challenging on narrow streets with cars parked a little to far from the curbs.

I sure wouldn't want to be saddled with a dually...

LoudRam77

Are you saying the payload was only 1000 lbs?
The payload limit on my truck is 1600 lbs. The 1100 lbs was the trailer tongue weight. That didn't leave much room. That's why I wanted to go smaller. I don't like towing at my max. My truck can tow 10,600 lbs. That's why I wasn't worried about the weight of the trailer. I'm no where near my towing limit.

My new trailer weighs even less. It's a Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB.

Last edited:

Andy C

The payload limit on my truck is 1600 lbs. The 1100 lbs was the trailer tongue weight. That didn't leave much room. That's why I wanted to go smaller. I don't like towing at my max. My truck can tow 10,600 lbs. That's why I wasn't worried about the weight of the trailer. I'm no where near my towing limit.

My new trailer weighs even less. It's a Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB.
Payload/cargo capicity limits is one area many who tow overlook, or worse, dont know about what it is. With a fifth wheel, thats really important. My fifth wheel was approx 13k fully loaded, with the hitch weight adding approx 1800-2000 pounds on my truck bed. However, my Ram 3500 had a payload capicity of 4300, so I could load my truck and truck bed with whatever I wanted, and still be under my 4300 pound cargo limit.

Batman

Does your model of F150 have individual coil packs instead of a distributor of past technology? We have 2 different years of Mercury Sables and they both have had unreliable coil pack issues that have to be chased and figured out in order for the motors to run smoothly.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Been thinking about getting a motorcycle just to give me more options. I thought you rode? @TallTimbers I thought I remembered that from RR? I got off them when I had a bad wreck in 1993. I am fairly certain that head injury is with me today.

With the exception of the purchase of a 64 bug that I had for less than a couple of years, I rode motorcycles exclusively until I purchased a used truck when I was about 27-28 to do a military DITY (do it yourself move). While I thoroughly enjoyed that means of transportation when I was a young man, I haven't caught the biker bug as a senior... yet. If I moved to an area with a warmer climate I just might...

Are you aware @stillwaiting, that there are bulletin boards for just about every make, model, and year of vehicle out there? Even before I purchase a vehicle, I've joined a bulletin board that focuses on the vehicle I'm planning on purchasing. Lot's of mechanics enjoy sharing their knowledge and you can often find others who've had your exact problem and can provide the solution.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
So I went back to the generation before OnStar and started buying those. I know GM started installing black boxes in 1999. I know this probably just sounds paranoid. Maybe it is?

I don't remember when vehicles started getting computers installed... but I think you need to go back to the days of plugs, points, and condenser if you want to play it safe...

Andy C

You're just the man I need to talk to. I've got a small pile of clunker trucks that have all recently failed on me so out of desperation I bought a 2005 F150 a couple of weeks ago because it was physically close and I lack the capability of renting cars, hiring rides and so forth.

Looks like I got the business from the used car guy. Was talking to a different dealer who also has a 11th gen F150 and he said that they all have "chain slap". He started his, but someone had stolen the catalytic converter. But I still feel that I could have heard the noise I hear on mine even with the loud exhaust.

Another issue with these trucks is apparently the rough idle. Seems like people chase this someitmes endlessly. Since the truck was in this conditon he ran it only a short time and it would not have goneinto closed loop mode in that state regardless. Which my truck seems to idle well at first, but then when warm gets rough. I could live with that.

This truck was supposed to be the cheapest nearest 'for now' solution, but the timing chain started scaring me so much I am afraid to drive it anywhere not utterly essential. Which now is to go make another mistake. I do this a lot and at the monet it is only punishing and not devastating, but I need to find my cheapest route to something to do this job ahead of me.

Locally a 1979 F150 with 460 just showed up. Supposedly everything is rebuilt, engine, trans and rear, but whoever knows for sure? I generally do most of my own work and have a truck that would do the job, but lost the key last Thanksgiving. Should have called a locksmith like I was advised, but decided to two it home myself and started trying to remove it myself. Now I have butchered it up.

I am ready to spend money with local mechanics but still only use cash and paper checks so I am not even sure if that is possible??

I'd be happy if I could get this truck reliable enough for around town immediately. Can't believe it lasted for about a week or so and then developed these issues. Actually, yeah I can believe it. I do this sort of thing over and over. Just trying to make the most of the latest.

Really like the trucks ride though. Overall it is solid without being stiff like my parked 2500HD. Got a small fleet of 90s GM trcuks, but they sort of messed up on me at once. Before I could get moved to a place where I have a excellent place to work on them. Things have changed here lately and that is becoming no longer an option for me.

Anything you know about those 2004-2008 F150s would be helpful.

This thing has me tied up not knowing which way to go. Anyone one who just wants to pray for Guidance that would be appreciated.

I have the resources to do better that this. Just can't seem to pull the trigger or make a smart choice.

Anybody's ideas are welcome. I'm frazzled.
I drive them, but cant do anything mechanical.

Here is a Ford forum link for 2004-2008 F150s. Im sure you can browse through the various threads there and find similiar problems.

https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=31

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The thing about these F150 forums I was following is that too many spoke like the problems were never able to be corrected. I was happy to get back on the road. Knew I was risking taking a hit with this quick fix. Am willing to take my haircut and reverse course. Or plow in deeper if I can gain confidence in them.

With auto forums, you just have to figure out which members seem to know what they're talking about and pay attention to them while ignoring the rest. Since many go to those forums to figure out problems, it sometimes seems that every vehicle has insurmountable problems that affect them when it's usually just a small percentage of the vehicles that roll off the line that ever have the problem.

MikeD

As others have said this is a good thread on trucks. Currently I own a 2006 Dodge Dakota crew cab truck and love it. But at work have recently become the owner of a 2014 389 Peterbilt. Never thought I'd be the owner of a truck like this. And what a truck it is! Has got to be the smoothest riding big truck I've ever driven and that's nice for an old Pawpaw like me. Truck is in the shop getting it ready for tank operations. But to be truthful can't wait to get this thing out there on the road!!

Batman

We need a 4x4 truck for winters and periodic truck-bed loading/unloading projects but I am having a real hard time finding anything reasonable in price unless very used and ridiculous mileage. This is a travesty in comparison to many decades of truck buying prices that allowed every day people to buy them without fear of having to live in them or do without other things to get one.

Deano

As others have said this is a good thread on trucks. Currently I own a 2006 Dodge Dakota crew cab truck and love it. But at work have recently become the owner of a 2014 389 Peterbilt. Never thought I'd be the owner of a truck like this. And what a truck it is! Has got to be the smoothest riding big truck I've ever driven and that's nice for an old Pawpaw like me. Truck is in the shop getting it ready for tank operations. But to be truthful can't wait to get this thing out there on the road!!

Congrats on the Petercar! What kind of tanker yanking will you be doing?

Side note - 2019 Toyota Tundra and love it.