Trucks

Andy C

I sold my fifth wheel, and later this year will sell my truck. Prices have went way up on RAM 3500s, and my 2019 Truck with only 9800 miles is worth more than what I paid.

We dont have the time to spare to get away for weeks at a time due to family commitments so, goodbye RV life for now.

If we decide in another year or two to get another RV, it will be a smaller Class A Motorhome, one that will easily fit in any state park campground.

LoudRam77

The price of used trucks are unbelievable. This is the time to sell. Glad to hear you might be coming back to camping. I love it.

We just bought a new trailer. Went a little smaller. From '33 down to '29. We go once a month for a weekend. That's enough for us. I would like to go more but I work 2 weekends out of 4.

Batman

And prices of new vehicles will almost assuredly keep going up, up, up.
True TT, True...........so how is this sustainable? I know there are a lot of wealthy folks and I know there are a lot of check-to-check folks that are buying new and used trucks, especially 4x4's; but how has this been sustainable for so long and definitely how can it be as the prices go up and up and up at ridiculous speeds?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
True TT, True...........so how is this sustainable? I know there are a lot of wealthy folks and I know there are a lot of check-to-check folks that are buying new and used trucks, especially 4x4's; but how has this been sustainable for so long and definitely how can it be as the prices go up and up and up at ridiculous speeds?

I've long wondered how the average person can afford any new vehicle. I understand that most people buy vehicles on a payment plan which, in most cases, adds to the actual cost of the vehicle. That the average person seems to be able to manage to purchase a new vehicle has long been a mystery to me.

I saved and saved and lived well below my means all of my life and invested the savings and did fairly well. But only something like 5% of the population has managed their financial assets well... most are carrying debt, living pay check to pay check, in many cases folks are just a couple of paychecks from homelessness. Americans are not taught to manage their finances well, but are encouraged to spend, spend, spend... and that's what most do. When they come upon some extra money, saving it doesn't cross the mind, but figuring out what they can buy with it certainly does.

Batman

I've long wondered how the average person can afford any new vehicle. I understand that most people buy vehicles on a payment plan which, in most cases, adds to the actual cost of the vehicle. That the average person seems to be able to manage to purchase a new vehicle has long been a mystery to me.

I saved and saved and lived well below my means all of my life and invested the savings and did fairly well. But only something like 5% of the population has managed their financial assets well... most are carrying debt, living pay check to pay check, in many cases folks are just a couple of paychecks from homelessness. Americans are not taught to manage their finances well, but are encouraged to spend, spend, spend... and that's what most do. When they come upon some extra money, saving it doesn't cross the mind, but figuring out what they can buy with it certainly does.
TT..........I'm just as puzzled but perhaps there are some signs that indicate how the average person does this. America is no longer a judo-Christian church society and it has to be a huge number of people that do NOT give a dime or much to a church. Another sign is that a couple (2 people no matter what gender, etc.) both are already working to pay bills so that would help. A third sign is the 72, 84, and even 96 month financing that now attracts the vehicle buyer with little regard for how long and how much interest it will cost. The fourth sign is that folks are also willing to get a very used high mileage but still nice looking truck if that's all they qualify for or can muster for payments/insurance/gas. The last sign is that people are just willing to do it to look cool, enjoy the fruits of their work/pay, and ultimately just because they wanted one.

Andy C

Key take away is managing your own family finances well.

Its a really bad time to need a good used truck with prices so high, but its also a really good time to privately sell my truck that is already paid off. Whoever I sell it to will get it well below the market price, or I might trade it in but that will be a hard deal to make since its worth more than any car I would want.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Not counting a VW Bug that I had for a couple of years when I was a teenager, my early transportation was by motorcycle until my late 20's. I then bought a used little truck to do a do-it-yourself move in the military. I haven't been without a truck since and kind of feel like once you have a truck, you'll always need a truck. That bed in the back is so useful, and if you find yourself without that you might quickly be reminded how useful the truck bed is. @Andy C, now that you're truckless I wonder how long it'll be before you're itching for another truck. Ford is going to start building the Maverick which in its base form is powered by a tiny gas engine and an electric engine... I guess those are called hybrids... Since it's built on a compact unibody, I don't really see the Maverick as a truck, but it does have a truck bed, so could be quite useful. It supposedly will get around 40 mpg.

There are probably competing products, but I've become somewhat Ford-centric in my later years... My first truck was either a little Toyota or a little Ford truck. If it was a Ford, then it was actually built by Masda for Ford. Despite its tiny size, it was built on a frame and I think I got about 25 mpg. The new Ford Maverick starts at about 20K but more realistically will cost around 25K. If you add all of the options available I think it comes in around 30K.

Then there's always the Tesla delorean... I mean truck...

Andy C

Not counting a VW Bug that I had for a couple of years when I was a teenager, my early transportation was by motorcycle until my late 20's. I then bought a used little truck to do a do-it-yourself move in the military. I haven't been without a truck since and kind of feel like once you have a truck, you'll always need a truck. That bed in the back is so useful, and if you find yourself without that you might quickly be reminded how useful the truck bed is. @Andy C, now that you're truckless I wonder how long it'll be before you're itching for another truck. Ford is going to start building the Maverick which in its base form is powered by a tiny gas engine and an electric engine... I guess those are called hybrids... Since it's built on a compact unibody, I don't really see the Maverick as a truck, but it does have a truck bed, so could be quite useful. It supposedly will get around 40 mpg.

There are probably competing products, but I've become somewhat Ford-centric in my later years... My first truck was either a little Toyota or a little Ford truck. If it was a Ford, then it was actually built by Masda for Ford. Despite its tiny size, it was built on a frame and I think I got about 25 mpg. The new Ford Maverick starts at about 20K but more realistically will cost around 25K. If you add all of the options available I think it comes in around 30K.

Then there's always the Tesla delorean... I mean truck...
No, Im done with truck and already bought a new car.

DWB

I just got a 2017 Ram Laramie and I really like it. I had a 2016 Tundra and hated it, mainly due to it being a base model. It looked great, but no extras. I drove a 2004 Dodge Rumble Bee for 14 years before it wore out, my favorite truck to date.

If anyone wanted a hot rod toy, I had a 2019 Mustang GT with the new 10 speed automatic transmission that was a rocket. They will keep up with anything except the supercharged cars.

Misty S

I just got a 2017 Ram Laramie and I really like it. I had a 2016 Tundra and hated it, mainly due to it being a base model. It looked great, but no extras. I drove a 2004 Dodge Rumble Bee for 14 years before it wore out, my favorite truck to date.

If anyone wanted a hot rod toy, I had a 2019 Mustang GT with the new 10 speed automatic transmission that was a rocket. They will keep up with anything except the supercharged cars.
I have been wanting a Mustang for some time now. As far as trucks go, that 2021 Chevy Colorado in sand dune metallic looks like the stuff that I need.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I have been wanting a Mustang for some time now. As far as trucks go, that 2021 Chevy Colorado in sand dune metallic looks like the stuff that I need.
Hey! Where'd you come from? No girls allowed!

Seriously though, I want to get a used V8 to have just for the utility of it (and I love trucks). Talked to my mechanic friend and he said GMC or Chevy. He's seen plenty with 200-300k miles still with the original transmission.

I really like the Sierras. I'd get a truck if the prices weren't so high.

Andy C

I really thought I would miss my truck, but I dont. I especially dont miss being limited in parking options, or driving it through tight drive throughs. I do miss towing somewhat, but using a RAM 3500 supercrew cab, long bed, as my everyday vehicle, not in the least.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I really thought I would miss my truck, but I dont. I especially dont miss being limited in parking options, or driving it through tight drive throughs. I do miss towing somewhat, but using a RAM 3500 supercrew cab, long bed, as my everyday vehicle, not in the least.

When I'm traveling, I visit some towns and I quickly deduce that I couldn't own a full size crew cab pickup if I lived there because there would be no place where I could park. I would never miss the parking situation with the large truck, but it is so much more comfortable for me than in the smaller vehicles, and so easy for me to get in and out with my disabilities, that it would be hard to give it up even if I didn't need it for anything.

LoudRam77

Using a HD pickup as a daily driver is a bit much. I'd only consider getting one if we got a trailer that called for it. Right now the new trailer we got a few months ago fits my 1500 perfectly.

My wife hated the bathroom and small shower in the last one we had and I wanted something shorter. Our new one is only 29' vs 33' for the old one. It's a little lighter but weight was never an issue. The only weight I worried about was the tongue weight. Because this one is shorter and it has wide stance axels the loaded tongue is much lighter even though the dry tongue was almost the same. The new trailer is 850 loaded and the old one was 1100. Both were around the 650-670 range dry.