Trucks

Dave

I love this thread! I only had 1 truck in my life but it was my favorite vehicle, and it may have helped saved my life. (The real credit goes to the Lord)
I owned a 2004 black Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 with 4WD from 2005 til 2011, and I could power my way through the harsh snow up here in NY without a problem.
I was on my way to work one morning and a car ran the red light (without slowing down) and turned right into me for a head on collision as I was driving with a green light.
I remember coming to again and hearing the sirens approaching. I got out of my truck very dazed and noticed the whole front of my truck was smashed in.
Thank God no one was seriously hurt. I had some neck pain but was ok.
When the police officer came on the scene she asked me if that was my truck and she told me I was lucky to be Alive.
After that accident, I started going to church and started to seek God.
I loved that truck.
That is a pretty amazing story!

chaser

My 2012 F150 V8 has 100k miles and is using oil, about a quart every oil change, this last oil change we had just got back into town from a 900 mile trip pulling our boat that is about 3k pounds. The shop said it was 2 quarts low this time, there is no leak so it is burning oil although I never smell it, or see smoke. The truck has been well maintained so it bothers me that it is using oil, how long before it turns into a smokey joe ??

LoudRam77

My 2012 F150 V8 has 100k miles and is using oil, about a quart every oil change, this last oil change we had just got back into town from a 900 mile trip pulling our boat that is about 3k pounds. The shop said it was 2 quarts low this time, there is no leak so it is burning oil although I never smell it, or see smoke. The truck has been well maintained so it bothers me that it is using oil, how long before it turns into a smokey joe ??
As long as cars and trucks go in between oil changes nowadays using one quart isn't that bad. Between my truck and my wife's Trailblazer they both usually go 8k to 10k miles between changes. I changed the oil when the computer tells me to. Modern vehicles can go that long because of advancements in oil and they hold more oil. Because of that longer interval I use a high end oil filter that can last 10k miles and Walmart full synthetic oil.

An example is my old 2001 Ram had a 360 V-8 and took 5 quarts. At the time we had a 2003 PT Cruiser that also took 5 quarts and that had a 4 cyc. Now both my truck (Hemi) and my wife's 2006 Trailblazer (I-6) take 7 quarts. More oil capacity=longer change intervals.

Last edited:

greg64

If you're going every 3000, you might consider conventional instead? If you search on it, you'll find all kinds of arguments on both sides. Usually comes down to the molecule size and that synthetics help clean your engine better. If seals are a little worn, that can supposedly allow more leaks with synthetic. Conventional is a little dirtier and can possibly act somewhat like a sealant.

LoudRam77

If your changing the oil at 3000 miles then don't go sythetic. Your wasting your money. Sythetic is designed to provide longer engine protection without breaking down. And as Greg said it does clean better than dino oil too. I think your fine with using a blend.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If you're going every 3000, you might consider conventional instead? If you search on it, you'll find all kinds of arguments on both sides. Usually comes down to the molecule size and that synthetics help clean your engine better. If seals are a little worn, that can supposedly allow more leaks with synthetic. Conventional is a little dirtier and can possibly act somewhat like a sealant.
Scratch changing it more often... 3K is more than often enough...

Here's a youtube video that I think is pretty good regarding synthetic v.s. conventional oils:

https://youtu.be/l58autifBJY

SonSeeker

I change it every 3000, if went from synthetic blend to full synthetic would that make any difference ?
What does your oil look like after only 3000 miles, Al? The reason I ask is after 3,000 miles in my Toyota, It's so clean, I can barely see it on the dipstick. Not that that's a good indicator, just an observation. That 'change it every 3,000 miles' regimen was great when we were in our teens and 20's, and the only oil available was dino oil. Today's full synthetic can go much farther than that! Keep in mind, the oil distributors and retailers want us to buy as much oil as possible, so they can profit as much as possible. And another thing, the name brands aren't necessarily any better than Walmart brand. Read the cans and compare what's in the stuff. I kind of forget, your truck is "Betsy"? She'll be just as happy whether the can says Walmart or Mobil One. The only who'll know is you, and your wallet.:thumbup

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
What does your oil look like after only 3000 miles, Al? The reason I ask is after 3,000 miles in my Toyota, It's so clean, I can barely see it on the dipstick. Not that that's a good indicator, just an observation. That 'change it every 3,000 miles' regimen was great when we were in our teens and 20's, and the only oil available was dino oil. Today's full synthetic can go much farther than that! Keep in mind, the oil distributors and retailers want us to buy as much oil as possible, so they can profit as much as possible. And another thing, the name brands aren't necessarily any better than Walmart brand. Read the cans and compare what's in the stuff. I kind of forget, your truck is "Betsy"? She'll be just as happy whether the can says Walmart or Mobil One. The only who'll know is you, and your wallet.:thumbup
When I was a youngster back in the day when cars didn't have computers calling the shots and you had to tune your vehicle if you wanted it to keep running the oil change interval standard was something like 12K miles or a year, whichever comes sooner.

Then advice started changing and the industry had us all changing our oil every 3K miles. In more recent years those change interval recommendations have trended towards more miles or up to a year. Synthetic oil is definitely better but as it does its job it gets dirty just as quickly as the dino oil. Having shifted from the old days interval of once a year whether it needed changing or not, to changing the oil every 3K miles, I've now settled in to changing it every 5000 miles give or take some, even though the vehicle manufacturer includes a feature that tells me when it is time to change the oil, and if I listened to them, it would probably be about every 9K miles or so. One reason I chose a 5K mile interval for oil changes is because it is easy for my old brain to remember. I could wait longer but engines do like clean oil and it costs very little when I do it myself. I do use full synthetic and agree that the standard/reqts that the oil meets matters more than the brand.

Andy C

We did not go on our planned trip to NC and back. But we did spend 13 days going up and down highway 101 on the southern Oregon coast, and northern coast of CA. My truck towing our 11000 pound fifth wheel handled well, and especially going up and down some 6 and 7 percent grades. Whoever invented the diesel exhaust brake is genius.

I came to realize from my past experiences that its very easy towing a long distance on the mostly straight interstate highways. However, towing on the mountainous with lots of curves highway 101 was challenging, but the truck did make it less difficult. Glad I did not have a Ford......

chaser

And another thing, the name brands aren't necessarily any better than Walmart brand
A young man that manages one of the local automotive service facilities here told me all the car dealers and service shops use the same oil in bulk, unless it is a specific service center like a Jiffy Lube that uses Penzoil or a Valvoline for their service centers, not sure if he is correct, anyone know for sure?

LoudRam77

I'm sure they do. They cut costs where they can and if the oil is safe in your car they'll use it. As long as it has an API certification for gas engines your good to go too. Each brand had their own proprietary blend of additives to add to the oil but only a few companies actually make the base oil. Walmart or Amazon certainly doesn't make their own oil.

SonSeeker

QUOTE="chaser, post: 842872176, member: 18369"]
A young man that manages one of the local automotive service facilities here told me all the car dealers and service shops use the same oil in bulk, unless it is a specific service center like a Jiffy Lube that uses Penzoil or a Valvoline for their service centers, not sure if he is correct, anyone know for sure?
[/QUOTE]
I don't know for sure, but it is very likely he is correct. Just go to a Walmart, or a parts house, and read the ingredients on the various bottles of oil. They're pretty much identical, except for the price. The extra dollars per quart you're paying for Mobil One just goes to their Christmas bonuses.:doh2