Tropical Storm Sally develops, as heavy rain expected to hit Florida, Gulf Coast this weekend

Lovin Jesus

Heavy tropical rainfall is expected in Florida and the eastern Gulf Coast this weekend, following flash flooding earlier in the week as multiple storm systems swirl through the Tropics.

Tropical Depression Nineteen turned into Tropical Storm Sally Saturday afternoon and is expected to move west-northwestward or northwestward over the next couple of days.

Sally originally formed Friday afternoon less than 100 miles east-southeast of Miami

"The center is forecast to move over the southeastern and eastern Gulf of Mexico later today and Sunday, and then move over the north-central Gulf of Mexico Sunday night and Monday," the National Hurricane Center said at 2 p.m. ET Saturday.

Sally is expected to become a hurricane by late Monday, with rainfall of 3-6 inches along the Gulf Coast from Florida to southeast Louisiana. Southern Alabama, Mississippi and southeast Louisiana could get 2-4 inches of rainfall farther inland.

A separate system, Tropical Storm Paulette could potentially slam into Bermuda early next week as a Category 2 hurricane with winds of 100 mph, and Rene is in a similar position, located over the central Atlantic.

The tropical wave in the Gulf could bring 2 to 6 inches of rain from Florida to southern Alabama.

Some areas in Florida and Virginia have seen more than 5 inches of rain over the last 24 hours, according to ABC News. A record of almost 3 inches of rain fell in Washington D.C.as well, necessitating water rescues in some areas of the capital city.
Although the heavy rain was over in Washington, there was a flood watch in the Sunshine State from the Tampa Bay area down to Fort Myers.

While hurricane season officially ends Nov. 30, a La Niña climate pattern which has appeared in the Pacific could lead to an increase in activity, forecasters say.

In August, weather events caused an estimated $20 billion in economic lossesthroughout the nation.

foxnews.com
9/12/20

Lovin Jesus

Its odd how I miss hurricane season, but comforting knowing Oregon has never had a hurricane. There have been a few strong wind making systems that have hit, but never an actual hurricane.
I suppose every place has its own weather threats or natural disaster possibilities. Cali has the dreaded earthquakes that come without notice. I’d kinda like to have a pre earthquake warning like there are for hurricanes. They have developed some kind of warning detector but still not enough warning ahead of time.

Andy C

The current NHC track has it going straight into New Orleans and Lake Ponchartrain. Lord I pray this is not another Katrina.
Yes, the track is still directly towards New Orleans. Hopefully, it will not make landfall with New Orleans on the storms right side, which would be devasting with the higher winds and storm surge sweeping in the low lying bowl New Orleans is in.

anath

I Love the Lord
We are ready but weary. When there's a hurricane we all eat the stuff in our freezers to avoid losing our food due to power outtage. Well it just so happens we used all our freezer food the last two hurricanes just 2 weeks ago, now we only have ice cream and some ground chuck so we'll be eating that!
Mike and I moved out of New Orleans a couple years ago and now we are just south, across the River(Mississippi) about 5 miles from New Orleans. Looks like we'll be hit. The Lord loves Mike and me so we are keeping our eyes on Him. Your prayers are needed and much appreciated.

fl2007rn

We are ready but weary. When there's a hurricane we all eat the stuff in our freezers to avoid losing our food due to power outtage. Well it just so happens we used all our freezer food the last two hurricanes just 2 weeks ago, now we only have ice cream and some ground chuck so we'll be eating that!
Mike and I moved out of New Orleans a couple years ago and now we are just south, across the River(Mississippi) about 5 miles from New Orleans. Looks like we'll be hit. The Lord loves Mike and me so we are keeping our eyes on Him. Your prayers are needed and much appreciated.
:pray Praying :hug

Lovin Jesus

Praying for you and Mike sis. God has his shield of protection around you.

Lovin Jesus

Update as of one hour ago
foxnews.com

Hurricane Sally has intensified as it approaches the Gulf Coast.

• FoxLiveBlogTeam

REPORTER
    48 minutes ago
    Dangerous storm surge, rainfall, and wind hazards are expected to extend well away from the Sally's center. An extremely dangerous and "life-threatening" storm surge is expected for areas outside the southeastern Louisiana, the NHC said. Through tonight, Sally may continue to produce flash flooding across the Florida peninsula and prolong existing minor river flooding across west-central Florida.
FoxLiveBlogTeam

REPORTER
1 hour ago
The NHC expects hurricane conditions early Tuesday within the hurricane warning area in southeastern Louisiana. Hurricane conditions are also expected by late Tuesday in the hurricane warning area along the Mississippi and Alabama coastlines, as well as, the western Florida Panhandle. Tropical storm conditions are already occurring in some of these areas. https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1305708189111918593

FoxLiveBlogTeam

REPORTER
1 hour ago
"It is still too early to determine where Sally's center will move onshore given the uncertainty in the timing and location of Sally's northward turn near the central Gulf Coast," the NHC wrote during the update.

FoxLiveBlogTeam

REPORTER
1 hour ago
As of 11 p.m. Hurricane Sally was located about 90 miles east of the mouth of the Mississippi River, according to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami.

FoxLiveBlogTeam

REPORTER
1 hour ago
President Trump on Monday night tweeted that he and his team are closely monitoring the "extremely dangerous" hurricane. "We are fully engaged with State & Local Leaders to assist the great people of Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Be ready and listen to State and Local Leaders!" he wrote.

Fox News report the surge could be as high as 11 feet

anath

I Love the Lord
Sally has shifted more East toward Mississippi & will not hit us directly but not out of the woods so to speak
Hey y'all there are 5 more systems in the Atlantic. The seas and waves are roaring! Look up!
Thank you Rose for your prayers...the Lord has answered them and is keeping Mike and me safe and sound

Andy C

Sally has shifted more East toward Mississippi & will not hit us directly but not out of the woods so to speak
Hey y'all there are 5 more systems in the Atlantic. The seas and waves are roaring! Look up!
Thank you Rose for your prayers...the Lord has answered them and is keeping Mike and me safe and sound
Good news for your area. Its barely a hurricane now, and may not be a hurricane at landfall. Storm surge and the huge amount of rain will be devastating in some areas.

Luckily, out of the five systems out there, only one appears to be heading towards the US.

Lovin Jesus

Praying for everyone impacted by this storm. Watching this mornings news and seeing the flooding is awful. The waters are actually lakes. They rise at the top of cars tires from what I can see. And flowing like a river. I pray Gods shield of protection be with all of his children who love him and any person who calls out to him. Lord please place your all powerful hand in this and this situation bring you glory Father

Beautiful Feet

I was surprised to wake up and see that it actually landed as a category two hurricane and is moving so slowly--which is dangerous.
Goes to show how unpredictable these things can be.

anath

I Love the Lord
In the Gulf, 3 named storms, Teddy, Alpha and Beta. They ran out of alphabet, so they are on the Greek alphabet now with alpha and beta

correction, there are 4! Wilfred, Teddy, Alpha and Beta

3 storms were named in one day(today) No one has ever heard of that happening

Last edited: