Transmission Problems, need advice

Dave

I have been having truck problems here lately. I had a problem with my truck not wanting to switch gears. The highest I could get was to 40 and I had to go to neutral and then back to drive to get it speed up. I took it to a shop that works on transmissions and the guy there told me I needed new Govenor sensors because my old ones went out and it would be 650.00. I paid it and thanked the Lord that was all that it was.

I started hitting some stores and getting my truck up to 60. Giving it a good workout to see if it was fixed. It was shirting great. Then I was close to work and the Transmission Temp. light came on. I pulled in to my work place and parked it. The light went out the next day and I tried driving it again to see if it was going to happen again. It did and I pulled into my driveway and let it cool off. My mind was made up that I was going to take it back to the shop again. I decided I was going to drive it to my parents and leave it there overnight because they were alot closer to it then I was. I started driving and then I heard a roaring sound like something came loose.

I got it back to the shop and the guy there told me I needed to get the Over Drive rebuilt. He was going to give me a discount and it was going to be 1,200.00 dollars. He said it was fine to drive as long as I left the Overdrive off.

I got to discussing it with my parents and they said you might want to go buy a new car. If you get the transmission rebuilt there is no guarantee that it will last till it goes out again. My Dad said it could last six months then you have to have it rebuilt again. That I would be throwing money away that I could use in buying a new car. He said that was what he was hearing and that he was not really sure. One Mechanic told us that if we get it rebuilt then I should be good for awhile. That it will last. It was a guy I was getting a second opinion from. I am not sure if I believe him or not.

I just would like to hear what others think and what their experiences are. Have any of yall have your transmissions rebuilt and last for a good while or is it throwing money away? I hardly know anyone outside of my parents and we keep to ourselves alot.

Steve53

If the transmission is rebuilt by a reputable shop, you should be fine. A good shop will also give you a warranty of either time or mileage somewhere along the lines of: 3 months or 3000 miles, great shop - 6 months, 6000 miles....

Goodboy

I had a transmission rebuilt once in a Camry. It lasted a least two years at which time I sold it. Not sure how long it lasted after that. The only thing I did not like is the Camry did not accelerate as well with the rebuild. I think whatever they did changed the gear ratio.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Either a rebuilt slapped onto your car or getting the transmission rebuilt by a decent mechanic should take care of your transmission problems. I would not have the shop that did the previous work for you do the additional work. They were remiss in not fully evaluating the transmission's condition before doing the work that was completed.

If the car is quite old, it might be more prudent to get a newer one if the age is such that you could reasonably expect more costly problems to arise with this one. Vehicles seem to last a long time nowadays, so that's a hard call to make.

Dave

Its a 2001 Dodge Ram. I mostly just drive it around town and back and forth to work. I bought it brand new off the lot right after 9/11. I have to look at the miles. My Dad says it does not have that many miles on it for its age. My boss at work who is younger then me suggested buying a new transmission. I have to look into that. Newer trucks are very expensive and I notice they hardly offer single cab trucks anymore so I maybe considering a car.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I like your suggestion Tall Timbers about not taking it back to the guy that did the original work. I might go with the guy that I got the second opinion from because he was recommended by two people. That is if I decide to go with rebuilding it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Its a 2001 Dodge Ram. I mostly just drive it around town and back and forth to work. I bought it brand new off the lot right after 9/11. I have to look at the miles. My Dad says it does not have that many miles on it for its age. My boss at work who is younger then me suggested buying a new transmission. I have to look into that. Newer trucks are very expensive and I notice they hardly offer single cab trucks anymore so I maybe considering a car.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I like your suggestion Tall Timbers about not taking it back to the guy that did the original work. I might go with the guy that I got the second opinion from because he was recommended by two people. That is if I decide to go with rebuilding it.
If you wanted a new transmission, it would probably be a rebuilt. It can be cost effective to ship components like transmissions to just one place where all they do is rebuild them, and install a rebuilt, as opposed to the shop itself rebuilding it.

chaser

How many miles on the truck? How is the motor, no leaks, good oil pressure? Trucks are expensive, even used trucks, and just curious was routine maintenance completed at proper intervals? Could be cheaper to put a new remanufactured in from Certified Transmissions for about 2700$, with 3yr 100k warranty, than to buy another vehicle.

Last edited:

Dave

I looked at my truck mileage yesterday before going into work and its 104962. I am seriously starting to consider in going ahead and let the work be done by the shop that gave me the second opinion. I think he told me he could do it for around 1,700 something dollars. I am going to budget myself into saving for a new car in the mean time. Cut back on stuff. One guy at work told me his father works on transmissions for a living and he said if the work is done right then I should have no problems. He told me to go with the one where I got the second opinion at because they have a good reputation. Thats what I am considering.

chaser

Just an FYI on Remanufactured vs Rebuilt:
Generally remanufactured is the better way to go, it is also more expensive. When engines/transmissions/diffs etc. are rebuilt only worn/damaged components are replaced. Any parts that are still within serviceable specs are reused.

Remanufactured engines/transmissions/diffs etc. get torn down and all wearable items are replaced regardless of condition. The core is inspected against manufacture specs. Generally remanufactured is as close to being new without actually being brand new and have best warranty.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Generally remanufactured is the better way to go, it is also more expensive. When engines/transmissions/diffs etc. are rebuilt only worn/damaged components are replaced. Any parts that are still within serviceable specs are reused.

Remanufactured engines/transmissions/diffs etc. get torn down and all wearable items are replaced regardless of condition. The core is inspected against manufacture specs. Generally remanufactured is as close to being new without actually being brand new and have best warranty.
Upstream I'd been using the word rebuilt when I was thinking remanufactured...

pixelpusher

Completely agree. I don't have direct experience with trans, when mine started going out in a Nissan a few years back, I traded the vehicle immediately. But going completely reman is the way. Otherwise you will have a trans like Daniel's statue, part strong, part weak, and the next weakest links in the system will be at risk of breaking.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I am going to call that place where I got the 2nd opinion and ask them about it. I got some more thinking to do. Meanwhile I found a small truck I might be interested in but its up there as well around 25 thousand. It at least looks to have a truck bed I could be happy with where I can store lumber or be able to transport stuff.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm into this problem now. My 2000 Honda Odyssey is having problems shifting into second gear. Sometimes I put on the gas and only the RPM needle moves. :lol It takes a bit to get up to speed at times which is nerve breaking when you are in the middle of a big intersection and worry if you are going to make it through. :sad

I've got 174,000 miles on it. I've seen them for sale with 290,000 mile on them. So, I know they can last a long time. The shop wants $3,000 for a new transmission and I think that is rebuilt. I read an article on the car repair websites that said that Honda had an engineering fault on the design of the 2000-2002 version of this vehicle, so my thinking is that any rebuilding of a faulty designed transmission might be a bad decision? :scratch The called it the Honda tranny bomb! :lol

My son is going to need a car this year, so I went ahead and bought his 10 year old used car for about twice the money of the transmission repair and with about 60,000 miles less. It is a very good little car and we are happy with it. I bought his so that when he is ready to drive this year, I will then make my decision on whether to fix the van or not, but I am leaning towards not fixing it and get something else. I've only bought one new vehicle in my life.

They told me that in about 25,000 miles I would need the $800 timing belt repair and there is an engine mount that needs to be replaced. So, there is at least another $1,000 on top of regular maintenance and repairs that will need to be done in addition to the $3,000 transmission replaced. The engine does smell of burning oil, so with all those things I thought I'd be better off finding another vehicle. :idunno

chaser

They told me that in about 25,000 miles I would need the $800 timing belt repair and there is an engine mount that needs to be replaced. So, there is at least another $1,000 on top of regular maintenance and repairs that will need to be done in addition to the $3,000 transmission replaced. The engine does smell of burning oil, so with all those things I thought I'd be better off finding another vehicle. :idunno
I have only had one vehicle that made it past 174K miles and it was a Ford Explorer Sport Trac, basically an Explorer with a truck bed, it had 293K on it. Once they get past 175K miles there are a lot of issues that can come up. My bro n law had an Odyssey and was always replacing parts he has a couple Toyotas now and has had good results with them. Anything with low miles is expensive anymore, but Trucks and big SUV's are super pricey even used. Our only vehicle is a 2012 F150 4x4 we bought it 3.5 yrs ago with 25K mi on it, to buy a new one it would cost more than what we paid for our house:eek:

Dave

I only bought one new vehicle in my life as well. I would not have a problem buying used but like Chaser said they want a fortune for one with low mileage just like with a new one. I figure as well as my parents if you are going to pay that kind of money then may as well start fresh. I really don't know. The real problem I think is they keep coming up with all this fancy stuff to add to these vehicles and that drives the price up. I really just need something simple that will get me down the road.

I talked to the guy with the second opinion. He says he plans on replacing everything on the Transmission and that it will be like new, pretty much a remanufactured transmission like Chaser and Tall Timbers talked about. I had a list of questions I was asking and before I could get to the one where I would ask if he installs remanufactured ones, he just came right out and said that he was going to replace everything on it. He offers a warranty for 12 months which is a year. He says he is going to charge me 1,487 for the work. I told him I am going to do some more thinking about it. My Dad says he thinks thats pretty low for wanting to replace everything. I don't know. This guy was referred to me by Midas, a place I go to get my truck worked on but said they don't do transmissions and someone else that told me they had their's done there.

I am thinking of going ahead and going with it and like I said before, start budgeting for a new car.

Dave

I got my truck back this afternoon. I went in to pay the guy and he asked me if someone tinkered with it before I brought it to him. I kept silent and he said it did not matter if someone did or not that he found some stuff loose in my transmission. He said the bearings went out on it as well and that was my problem. I am glad I went with the second guy this time around. Thank you all for your prayers. The truck is running great and I gave it a good drive around hitting 60 and no temp. lights and no rumbling sounds. I have a warranty for a year and for 12,000 miles. I pray that its all fixed and nothing comes up like before. I am going to stay away from the first guy that worked on it before.