Tony Blair finally apologizes for war in Iraq

Timna

Tony Blair finally apologizes for war in Iraq

Tony Blair has finally apologized for the Iraq War. The former Prime Minister said he accepts that the conflict has been a factor in the rise of Islamic State. Blair made the startling confession during a TV interview in which he acknowledged the 'hell' that had resulted from his and George Bush's decision in 2003, to oust Saddam Hussein from power.

In an interview by US political broadcaster Fareed Zakaria, Blair is asked point-blank: "Was the Iraq War a mistake?" He replies matter of factly: "I apologize for the fact that the intelligence we received was wrong. I also apologize for some of the mistakes in planning and, certainly, our mistake in our understanding of what would happen once you removed the regime.

Mail online reports that when asked if the Iraq War was 'the principal cause' of the rise of Islamic State, he said: "I think there are elements of truth in that. Of course you can't say those of us who removed Saddam in 2003 bear no responsibility for the situation in 2015."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tony-blair-finally-apologises-war-iraq-1525552

Dave

Saddam was no saint. I feel at some point he would be a problem again if he remained in power. I look at this as one of those you are cursed if you do, you are cursed if don't kind of things. No telling what kind of problems we might be facing if Saddam remained in power. Then I imagine alot of people would be yelling we should have taken him out a long time ago. Just what I think.

Heistheway

People have short memories. Saddam had already attacked Iran, in a protracted engagement to determine regional supremecy. When that drew to a stalemate, he began his WMD collection, and began boasting his potential to be the Islamic messiah, while declaring his authority over the Hormuz Strait and all oil shipping lanes. He was killing the Kurds, and attacked Kuwait and commandeered their oil fields.

The UN, not just US intelligence sources, declared without reserve he had amassed mulitiple bio-chemical weapons and thousands of SCUD missles to deliver them. He shot some into Israel. We had a mandate to go into Iraq and remove him. ??? We for some unknown reason waited nearly a year before doing so. THAT IS WHAT WE SHOULD APOLOGIZE FOR. Stopping unbridled evil was not wrong. IF it did give rise to ISIS, then we did not start it, but merely gave additional motivation to the
effort.

Once removed, we should have set up an oversight committee of nations which prevented any build-up of weaponry for a period of time, to let the dust settle. We of course, ran out of country, leaving a power vacuum which was quickly filled with tribal quibbling and 'give me respect'stuff.

BarbT

People have short memories.
Boy is that an understatement!
The UN, not just US intelligence sources, declared without reserve he had amassed mulitiple bio-chemical weapons and thousands of SCUD missles to deliver them. We had a mandate to go into Iraq and remove him. ..... We for some unknown reason waited nearly a year before doing so. THAT IS WHAT WE SHOULD APOLOGIZE FOR.
Or perhaps the UN should admit they messed up. :tappingfoot

As I recall it was the UN that kept demanding that S. Hussein open up to UN inspectors "or else" but he kept stalling them. {It was common knowledge that the U.S. would be the muscle behind the "or else". The entire world was on board with that plan}.

More UN threats, more stalling. For 18 months Hussein stalled the inspections, giving him plenty of time to transport his cache out of the country. Many people, including me, are certain his lethal stockpile ended up in Syria. President Bush was doing the world's bidding, with nearly everyone's support, when he invaded Iraq. People who ran like rats and vilified him after the fact should be ashamed.

Last edited:

Elijah's Mantle

Heistheway your absolutely right on about that :campfire

most do believe his lethal stockpile wound up in Syria :idunno and that is why right as we speak the hotter side of it all is happening :marionettethe political straight jacket rhetoric is enough to burn down the house before we make it to election :groan can you imagine what the first year will look like :groan God help us all :hairout

Timna

:hmmm you know the more I reason on it I bet they did that on purpose it so well fits their obvious future agenda :hmmm Its getting really sinister folks what is going on :hmmm

And, sinister as it is, if God is as "deliberate" as he has been, and I personally think he will be, it is going to get much more sinister, much, much more.

ShilohRose

And, sinister as it is, if God is as "deliberate" as he has been, and I personally think he will be, it is going to get much more sinister, much, much more.

Sigh. I keep hoping that we'll be out of here before then, but I can't say that I really think we will be. :hide