Tolkien fans, unite!

SarahRose

With all the craziness going on, I think I’d like an adventure.

My second round of reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings begins tonight.

If you want to join me in this quest, you are already adventuring, or you’ve had your fill of adventures and just want to reminisce, let’s gather here!

Side note I’m not a hater of the LOTR movies (probably because I watched them before reading the books).

The Hobbit movies however…

Just kidding, all are welcome

P.S. if there is another LOTR thread going, so sorry please cast this thread into the fire

JSTyler

If you want to join me in this quest, you are already adventuring, or you’ve had your fill of adventures and just want to reminisce, let’s gather here!

Side note I’m not a hater of the LOTR movies (probably because I watched them before reading the books).

P.S. if there is another LOTR thread going, so sorry please cast this thread into the fire
I highly recommend searching the web for the Phil Dragash audio version of the complete LoTR trilogy. It's dramatized, filled with music and sound effects and is quite the audio book experience. Also, it's free. He did an amazing job of it as a one-man-show and just for the love of the material. I won't post a direct link for fear of violating one of the legions of board rules.

A few years back when I first came across it, it was approved of by the Tolkien estate and legal to obtain. You can find his site by just using his name. However, you will need to do some digging and web sleuthing to find the actual audio files...which isn't difficult.

***He's an artist and as it is will all artists and creators, there's likely something to be found that could offend anyone.***

And about the RCC affiliation, the same could somewhat be said about C. S. Lewis and Calvin and Luther and many others. I know many RCC folk that I will get to enjoy eternity with, though I do recognize the horror of much of their doctrine. It's a fantastic evangelical field, the RCC is and they are at the very least, receptive.

Jared

I absolutely loved the movie trilogy, some of the best ever made! Especially loved Aragorn, Gimli, and Samwise. (Though I ahve to admit I sometimes fast forward through some scenes). I still haven't seen the Hobbit movies, however.

I did try to read the books, but found it harder to get through, probably since it's a different writing style.

SarahRose

I highly recommend searching the web for the Phil Dragash audio version of the complete LoTR trilogy. It's dramatized, filled with music and sound effects and is quite the audio book experience. Also, it's free. He did an amazing job of it as a one-man-show and just for the love of the material. I won't post a direct link for fear of violating one of the legions of board rules.

A few years back when I first came across it, it was approved of by the Tolkien estate and legal to obtain. You can find his site by just using his name. However, you will need to do some digging and web sleuthing to find the actual audio files...which isn't difficult.

***He's an artist and as it is will all artists and creators, there's likely something to be found that could offend anyone.***

And about the RCC affiliation, the same could somewhat be said about C. S. Lewis and Calvin and Luther and many others. I know many RCC folk that I will get to enjoy eternity with, though I do recognize the horror of much of their doctrine. It's a fantastic evangelical field, the RCC is and they are at the very least, receptive.
Wow, I didn't know about this! Thank you for sharing. I'll look into it today -- I love having something good to listen to while I work.

Thanks for the insight in your last point, too.

SarahRose

I absolutely loved the movie trilogy, some of the best ever made! Especially loved Aragorn, Gimli, and Samwise. (Though I ahve to admit I sometimes fast forward through some scenes). I still haven't seen the Hobbit movies, however.

I did try to read the books, but found it harder to get through, probably since it's a different writing style.
Agreed! Samwise it probably my favorite character in both the movies and the books :) Aragorn and Gimli are great too.

I only saw the first Hobbit movie and I wasn't real happy with it, so didn't try to watch the other two. Seemed like the typical "lets draw this out as much as possible to make money" hollywood move, but that might just be me being judgy.

Cloud Watcher

My ex introduced them to me when I was in my early 20's. I was immediately hooked. I have reread them many times. I have the extended versions of the movies. They make for a long marathon of viewing.

I love fantasy!!!!!! But since I am busy with other projects right now, I won't be getting them out to read along with you, but might make comments about things you bring up.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

Although i've maybe read the Hobbit once in highschool as part of our English assignment, I'm for the movies but do like how people make the comparisons between the books and the movies.

I reckon that Tom Bombadil shoulda got a run in the movies or Glorfindel

alisani

Uh oh. Tom Bombadil gets on my ever lovin' last nerves in the book. Constantly repeating the same few phrases over and over. Goldberry was a woman of patience. He could have taken the ring to Mordor though I think, without any trouble. I think Tolkien realized it and gave him a boundary.

I reread these yearly, usually in autumn.

SarahRose

Uh oh. Tom Bombadil gets on my ever lovin' last nerves in the book. Constantly repeating the same few phrases over and over. Goldberry was a woman of patience. He could have taken the ring to Mordor though I think, without any trouble. I think Tolkien realized it and gave him a boundary.

HA! I can see that being the case :)

I was going to save my next round of reading until fall/winter but I’ve been in a book rut so thought I’d just go with what I know/love.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

So he's a "Fool of a Took" ?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

MapleLeaf

I don't really care for Tom Bombadil myself. I find that part of the story sort of drags when I am eager to get on with the rest of the adventure. It has been a long while since I have read them. I always preferred The Hobbit over the main trilogy. Probably because it is the more fun, silly adventure and reminds me of Narnia which was my real childhood favourite.

I am not sure I fully qualify as a Tolkien fan as the hardcore fans can be scary. I like the books and want to read them again and I even enjoyed the Silmarillion. But I'm not well-versed on all the little details and I guess I'm not as emotionally attached as some can be. I am a fan in that I really like the books and I first read them at a time in my life where they just spoke to me, I guess. And the movies came out months after I first read them so it became a thing for awhile. But I think I know the movies better.