Thought on Isaiah 26:19-20

townerka

I've always thought this was one of the OT passages that hinted at the rapture. I was thinking about it today and I noticed something interesting:

But your dead will live, Lord;
their bodies will rise—
let those who dwell in the dust
wake up and shout for joy—
your dew is like the dew of the morning;
the earth will give birth to her dead.
20 Go, my people, enter your rooms
and shut the doors behind you;
hide yourselves for a little while
until his wrath has passed by.
21 See, the Lord is coming out of his dwelling
to punish the people of the earth for their sins.
The earth will disclose the blood shed on it;
the earth will conceal its slain no longer.

Isaiah is speaking here and the few verses before that he is saying we several times. Then it shifts here and he says their (the Church). Just thought it was interesting it may be nothing.

Edit: To be clear. I believe the Holy Spirit revealed this to me.

Last edited:

athenasius

I've always thought this was one of the OT passages that hinted at the rapture. I was thinking about it today and I noticed something interesting:

But your dead will live, Lord;
their bodies will rise—
let those who dwell in the dust
wake up and shout for joy—
your dew is like the dew of the morning;
the earth will give birth to her dead.
20 Go, my people, enter your rooms
and shut the doors behind you;
hide yourselves for a little while
until his wrath has passed by.
21 See, the Lord is coming out of his dwelling
to punish the people of the earth for their sins.
The earth will disclose the blood shed on it;
the earth will conceal its slain no longer.

Isaiah is speaking here and the few verses before that he is saying we several times. Then it shifts here and he says their (the Church). Just thought it was interesting it may be nothing.
I did something on that passage a little while back because I was SURE it's a rapture passage. A lot of theologians say no BUT

You pulled out something else out that I hadn't seen, in favour of it being a rapture passage.

THANK YOU!

I'll give you what I had figured out.

here's what I wrote (it was a rabbit trail in the middle of cavalier's Gog Magog thread page 10)

###################

I got an idea about Isaiah 26:20 and comparing the order of things with 1Thess 4:13-17

First off lets look at the surrounding verses:
Isaiah 26:19-21
19 Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.

20 Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast.

21 For, behold, the Lord cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.

and now 1Thess 4:13-17
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Look at the order of operations here:

1 the dead rise
2 they enter into chambers
3 while the LORD comes out of His place to punish the earth.

Remarkable how the passage in Isaiah mirrors the same order in Thessalonians.

Now I wondered if we could still include that Isaiah passage as hinting at the Rapture, because Isaiah is one of the OT saints being resurrected here.

But then I remembered that the OT saints are resurrected AT THE SECOND COMING-- the END of the Tribulation. (at least acc to Don Stewart here: https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_138.cfm and J.Vernon McGee here:https://www.oneplace.com/ministries...w-many-resurrections-will-there-be-14814.html)

But Isaiah puts it in a different order-

- the dead rise first (and remember a certain percent of the church is still consisting of Jews who believe thru out history after the Cross-- so Isaiah is still referencing Jews, just believers of the Age of Grace who are saved by belief in Christ, their Messiah and ours.)

--THEN they "enter into their chambers" -- there is a possession of those chambers-- as Jesus said "I go to prepare a place for YOU". We are given a place prepared for us by Christ. Isaiah says "their" chambers.

Finally the Lord punishes the earth.

OK put it another way--
If this is the Jews heading to Petra (Petra is "their chambers") why is the resurrection of the dead happening BEFORE that???? (Remember the OT saints resurrect at the SECOND COMING when Jesus finishes off the Tribulation.)

There are 2 Resurrections of the saints-- the first being before the Tribulation when the Church age saints are Resurrected,

and the SECOND being AFTER the Tribulation, when the OT saints AND the TRIB saints both get resurrected.

3 groups of saints, 2 different Resurrections.

Neither happen just before Petra.

And WHY is the Lord waiting till Petra to punish the earth??? That's been happening all along the Tribulation period. (This is the MIDPOINT if it's Petra we are referencing here!)

The passage clearly indicates they leave for these chambers before the Lord punishes the Earth.

##########

My conclusion then is the same as my conclusion now

This IS possibly a rapture reference.

The timing of events matches the timing of the Rapture of the Church AND NOT the OT saints.

Oh and btw, the "little moment" here in this
"hide thyself as it were for a little moment,"

is none other than Strong's
H7281 (Strong)
רֶגַע

rega‛

reh'-gah

From H7280; a wink (of the eyes), that is, a very short space of time: - instant, moment, space, suddenly.

TWINKLING OF AN EYE anyone????? :D

Last edited:
Back