Third-biggest egg farm in US catches fire

ChildofLight

Third-biggest egg farm in US catches fire, 21 fire departments respond to huge blaze that likely killed thousands of chickens

A massive fire engulfed a large egg farm on Saturday. The huge blaze likely killed thousands of chickens, and is expected to exacerbate the current dilemma of skyrocketing egg prices.

Around 1 p.m. on Saturday, a three-alarm fire was reported at the Hillandale Farms property in Bozrah, Connecticut.

WSFB reported that a total of 21 fire departments responded to the three-alarm fire, and it took firefighters eight hours to put out the blaze.

Norwich Firefighters Local 892 said a two-story, 400-foot by 100-foot chicken coop was on fire.

The fire was so large that it could be seen from miles away.

John Way, a safety officer for the Bozrah Volunteer Fire Co., said the coop housed an unknown number of chickens.

Multiple local reports cited the Salvation Army that around 100,000 chickens were killed, but that number has not been confirmed.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the massive fire at the egg farm was not immediately clear. Authorities are still investigating the blaze.

Hillandale Farms said it raises over 20 million chickens for eggs and is one of the top five egg producers in the country. Hendrix Genetics lists Hillandale Farms as the third-biggest egg producer in the U.S. with 20 million hens.

There have been several major fires at egg farms in the past few years.

In December 2022, a fire caused $12 million in damages and killed a reported 250,000 chickens at a large poultry farm in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, according to WGAL.

In October 2022, approximately 7,000 chickens were incinerated in a farm fire in Lexington, South Carolina.

In February 2020, a blaze at the Michael Foods farm killed approximately 400,000 chickens.

In December 2020, around 240,000 chickens died when a fire burned three barns in Pasco County, Florida. The fire happened at a Cal-Maine-operated egg farm, which is "one the largest producer and distributor of shell eggs in the United States. It sells under brands including Egg-Land's Best and Land O' Lakes," according to CBS News.

The Animal Welfare Institute reported that nearly 1.3 million cage-free hens "perished in potentially preventable barn fires" in 2020.

In December, egg prices skyrocketed 60% more than a year prior, according to Consumer Price Index data.

In California, the average retail price of eggs went from $2.35 a year ago to $7.37 this year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The worst outbreak of avian flu on record has caused egg and poultry prices to surge. More than 58 million birds from commercial and backyard flocks have been affected by avian influenza in the past year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/egg-f...01-29&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - 7 Day Engagement

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Lots of smaller egg/chicken farms. NOT massive complexes. That's better planning.

A lot of dairies in Dutch country have closed and converted to chicken.
My understanding is much goes to NYC and other metro areas where margins are much better.

Most farms are gated or fenced to limit exposure to bird pathogens. Probably the annual snow geese visit to Middle Creek will be considered a crowd spreading event.

Maybe they spray the fields with Listerine or Lysol?

mphsmom

I believe these fires on places that produce food are on purpose. And I also read that they are putting something in the chicken feed that stops the hens from laying. I read an article where the guy got in touch with 100 people who raised chickens. 96 of them had all their hens stop laying. They were using the standard chicken feed that Tractor Supply sells. The 4 people who had hens that were laying fine used a different chicken feed.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I believe these fires on places that produce food are on purpose. And I also read that they are putting something in the chicken feed that stops the hens from laying. I read an article where the guy got in touch with 100 people who raised chickens. 96 of them had all their hens stop laying. They were using the standard chicken feed that Tractor Supply sells. The 4 people who had hens that were laying fine used a different chicken feed.

The Deep State/Globalist crowd seems to have endless ways to lead the world to perdition. I believe they get their marching orders from the demonic realm which helps ensure compliance around the world.

Wally

TSC = This S.... from China.

It's not rocket science sometimes.

MapleLeaf

I don't want to become a crazy conspiracy lady and so many things can cause a fire but it always seems to be factories for what is already deemed to be in a 'shortage' that gets set on fire and it's also always food that is being put on the "no-no" list. It's never the cricket factory or the "beyond meat" factory that is burning down. It's never the train carrying electric batteries for teslas that derails.

TrustinHim

I heard about the chicken feed on a video also. It was advised to buy feed produced locally.

I heard that the feed has decreased protein and the hens need a certain amount for laying eggs.

DWB

This is where the ABC govt agencies need to be spending their time. But, maybe they already know.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Yeah, all these things happening to our crops and foods and animals is looking less and less like coincidence to me.
Something is fishy.............. anything to raise the prices and create shortages......... and fear.
Yes , something is fishy as you say.
Beyond coincidental , rather conspiratorial.

Over 30 fires in 22 states in the first 6 months of
2022 involving food processing plants and livestock.
The cause of half of those fires are unknown.
The majority of the others were ruled as an explosion.
What caused the explosions?
Two of them were cause by small plane crashes.

The only deaths that occured to people in all these fires were the individuals in the plane crashes , which were 3 total.

1,000's of jobs lost , others relocated.
Hundreds of millions in damage.
This is just for the first 6 months of 2022.
This was on top of already historic supply
shortages.

Our food supply is under attack.
Why?
By who?

China is the biggest producer of eggs .
Over 600 Billion in 2021.

United States is the 4th biggest producer.
Over 111 Billion in 2021.

months ago the average cost of a dozen eggs was $1.72, now the average price is $4.25.
That is a staggering increase.

All that for just the first 6 month of 2022.
Going over the fires the last 6 months of 2022
only adds to the numbers and consistency of the preceding 6 months.

One who controls the food and fuel has much , much power at their disposal.

ChildofLight

That feed from TSC is what I buy. I haven’t had any problem with it. My hens always have gone through a rest period in the winter and are now laying well again.

I personally believe that a lot of those large production places try to do their best to keep their birds healthy. I wonder if sometimes it’s over done, making them more susceptible to illnesses. Then again, I do not trust this government at all anymore. Are there a lot of dead wild birds laying around? Haven’t heard anything. I also don’t trust the “testing” of viruses anymore either. So much stuff is made in China.

I keep reminding myself the Lord will provide and I need to lose weight anyway.

Wally

A coupe other factors:

Some of these business rushed into being - seeing only profit $$$
No doubt there was cost cutting in the process.

Most of the egg farms around here are pole buildings - mostly metal. Aside from chickens, what is burning? I don't see much in the way of bedding, but the dust and dried stuff in the corners can be a problem if you don't muck.

Poor design of heating systems (lp-propane), electrical systems not robust and chicken resistant are another factor.
Most of our local farms are family run and place value on their business, hence the quarantine/hazmat notices- Do Not Enter signs, and gates/fences.

And if the labor force is unskilled (really - no graduates or interns?), smokes whatever, and doesn't really care,
The fires are probably normal as many industry accident are just waiting to happen.

Its still a tough call whether the cause is common neglect, or deliberate acts.

Back