Thinking they are saved

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
How is it some people are not known by God when they get to Heaven, but professed Jesus on earth? I get it that they never truly believed, but did a person such as this fool themselves? I don't understand how a person can know about Jesus, speak about Jesus, but yet not believe?
Matthew 15:8 maybe?
They honor him with their lips, but their hearts are far from him.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
How is it some people are not known by God when they get to Heaven, but professed Jesus on earth? I get it that they never truly believed, but did a person such as this fool themselves? I don't understand how a person can know about Jesus, speak about Jesus, but yet not believe?
Well one way is if they depend on their "works" to get them into Heaven, rather than what Jesus did on the cross.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

InsuranceGuy

I was listening to Andy Woods and he said something about a great number of people who claim to know Christ being denied entry into the Kingdom. It is hard for me to imagine as a relationship with Jesus is very personal. How can a person miss that? I wonder if some of these mega churches who never mention sin or repentance are included.

soundingthealarm

I was listening to Andy Woods and he said something about a great number of people who claim to know Christ being denied entry into the Kingdom. It is hard for me to imagine as a relationship with Jesus is very personal. How can a person miss that? I wonder if some of these mega churches who never mention sin or repentance are included.

IF you read the passage of Mathew 7:21-23 it states of a people who knew ABOUT Jesus but didn't know THE GOSPEL or they wouldn't have been bringing their (Impressive) SELF-righteous resume'

The Gospel that there is NOTHING flesh and blood can do to merit salvation has been rare for years. So much of Jesus PLUS SELF doing or self keeping has gone out and Grace has been made very un -amazing.

Proverbs 16:25 says "there is a way that seems right to man, but leads to death." SELF-righteousness is very very deceitful.

I'm so thankful that God made it very simple in that HE opens our eyes to BELIEVE upon Him whom He sent.

"Who do you say that I AM?" "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God." "Flesh and blood did NOT reveal this to you but rather My Father in Heaven."

FREE GIFT---AMAZING GRACE

soundingthealarm

I am NOT trusting in that I said a prayer, or that I "turned" from sins (I'm still a sinner) who needs GRACE 24/7
I'm NOT trusting I walked an aisle, or I confessed to others or that I did anything.

I'm trusting that IT IS FINISHED and thanking My Heavenly Father He opened my eyes to believe in this.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 King James Version (KJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I am NOT trusting in that I said a prayer, or that I "turned" from sins (I'm still a sinner) who needs GRACE 24/7
I'm NOT trusting I walked an aisle, or I confessed to others or that I did anything.

I'm trusting that IT IS FINISHED and thanking My Heavenly Father He opened my eyes to believe in this.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 King James Version (KJV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
Amen!!!

MilkyWay1

Well, think of Mormons. I hate to say that because I know a lot of Mormons and many of them are so kind and truly have servant hearts. But they absolutely claim to know Jesus yet depend on their own works to get them to the “celestial kingdom”. They also believe they themselves will become gods one day. It’s so tragic. :(

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Well, think of Mormons. I hate to say that because I know a lot of Mormons and many of them are so kind and truly have servant hearts. But they absolutely claim to know Jesus yet depend on their own works to get them to the “celestial kingdom”. They also believe they themselves will become gods one day. It’s so tragic. :(
It is tragic.
The shed blood of Jesus Christ is sufficient.
To think one would have to do X,Y,Z as far as "good works" in relation to obtaining salvation completely contradicts the very nature of God, which is PERFECT.
My first mission trip was to Utah .
It was alot of things .
Had me SMH.
Mormonism is cloaked in pure wickedness.
Within the secular eye "they" hide it quite well.
To a blood bought child of God who is perceiving it through Scriptural lenses and a prophetic scope it isn't at all.
Having the gift of discernment followed by the indwelling of The Holy Spirit sure helps alot ;)
All that being said , it is so tragic, that many are being led down that long cobblestone driveway paved with the lies and deceit of Satan himself, hence why it is such a looooooog one.
Whether it be Mormonism or Hinduism ect...
Outside of Jesus Christ, there is no hope.

Peace in Christ.

RonJohnSilver

MilkyWay1 beat me to it. Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, any number of fringe cults and, sadly, even those in legitimate churches. The cults have a distorted view of Jesus, who He is, the nature of the trinity or they believe in Jesus, but not as God or not as a man or they deny things like original sin. Anyway, some cardinal view of God/Jesus/Salvation that you have to get right to be saved. The lesser cults, that is, those with only a few hundred members, often have some truth but still distort Jesus. Jesus is the real key to cults. True Christians can be wrong on many biblical issues...end times, baptism, gifts, but you get Jesus wrong and you're hell bound. Sadly, this is one issue that I have with Roman Catholics. I'm sure there are many legitimate believers in that system, but they have gotten so many biblical truths wrong that I can't feel comfortable when someone says they were raised in that system. And then, in true Bible believing churches, you will find people who sit in the pews every Sunday yet still somehow, fail to see Jesus. Like that adage that just because you live in a garage doesn't make you a car.

kathymendel

Jesus paid it all
All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain
He washed it white as snow.
Period.

There is nothing I can ever do that will count toward my salvation. I believe in Him.......... Jesus, the Christ........ He died for my sin, was laid in a tomb, was resurrected on the third day, ascended to heaven, sent me the Holy Spirit when I received Him, and has promised to come back for me one day very soon. Period. He did everything. I only chose to believe it.......... and that, with the leading of the Holy Spirit. Thank you, Lord.

Some people feel they live a good life, or are nice people........ certainly a lot better than many others: rapists, murderers, etc. They refuse to believe that they are guilty of sin, or at the least sin less than others. So, they believe they will be accepted into heaven. But, they have not acknowledged that it is Jesus who did the work for them. How sad it will be for them, when Jesus says, "depart from me, I never knew you."

soundingthealarm

James said demons believe there is One God, not that they believe The Gospel.

James exhorts believers to do good works to be a blessing to others.

Not to add anything to the finished work, but to honor it, by loving our neighbor. LOVE motivated.

”My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” - Jesus

Paul wrote to the Galatians addressing the fact that they’d fallen for a performance based message that had put them back into bondage even as believers.

They were still saved but bewitched into believing they had to “measure up” to someone elses performance expectations, which can be mean task master.

MilkyWay1

It is tragic.
The shed blood of Jesus Christ is sufficient.
To think one would have to do X,Y,Z as far as "good works" in relation to obtaining salvation completely contradicts the very nature of God, which is PERFECT.
My first mission trip was to Utah .
It was alot of things .
Had me SMH.
Mormonism is cloaked in pure wickedness.
Within the secular eye "they" hide it quite well.
To a blood bought child of God who is perceiving it through Scriptural lenses and a prophetic scope it isn't at all.
Having the gift of discernment followed by the indwelling of The Holy Spirit sure helps alot ;)
All that being said , it is so tragic, that many are being led down that long cobblestone driveway paved with the lies and deceit of Satan himself, hence why it is such a looooooog one.
Whether it be Mormonism or Hinduism ect...
Outside of Jesus Christ, there is no hope.

Peace in Christ.
Great post. I grew up in Salt Lake City. I’m curious, did you ever help lead any Mormons away from Mormonism? They are a tough bunch. Extremely set in their ways.

mattfivefour

This!

John Piper (who has a lot of problems in some of his doctrine and associations but nonetheless has sound doctrine regarding salvation and sanctification) wrote the following, based on Hebrews 9:28. It is relevant to this discussion.
_____
Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. (Hebrews 9:28)
The question before us all is: Are we included in the “many” whose sins Christ bore? And will we be saved at his second coming?

The answer of Hebrews 9:28 is, “Yes,” if we are “eagerly waiting for him.” We can know that our sins are taken away and that we will be safe in the judgment, if we trust Christ in such a way that it makes us eager for his coming.

There is a phony faith that claims to believe in Christ, but is only a fire insurance policy. Phony faith “believes” only to escape hell. It has no real desire for Christ. In fact, it would prefer if he did not come, so that we can have as much of this world’s pleasures as possible. This shows that a heart is not with Christ, but with the world.

So, the issue for us is: Do we eagerly long for the coming of Christ? Or do we want him to stay away, while our love affair with the world runs its course? That is the question that tests the authenticity of faith.

Let us be like the Corinthians as we “wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 1:7), and like the Philippians whose “citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20).

That’s the issue for us. Do we love his appearing? Or do we love the world and hope that his appearing will not interrupt our plans? Eternity hangs on this question.
_____

This is definitely a thought-provoking message!