The World Mission Society Church of God

Nopq

I’ve had an encounter with a cult, that I’d like to share here.

I have a friend who is a member of an organisation called The World Mission Society Church of God.

A strange cult that originates from South Korea.

I once visited their place of worship.

They believe that its founder and his wife are divine:

They call the founder “Christ” (he is now dead) and his wife “Heavenly Mother” (who is still alive) and believe they are both somehow God. And if you ask them, they will "prove" it by relating different bible verses to one another.

This friend of mine has been heavily coached in explaining and promoting this cult.

He calls himself a Christian, he believes this cult is the one and only authentic church.

He cross-references bible passages to prove that the bible mentions this cult and supports its outrageous claims. To me it all seems rather tenuous and desperate.

I do not consider them Christian as they deny the true nature of Christ and have built their religion around two people who are not Christ. Indeed, I'd go as far to say that they ignore Christ. Instead they have their "Heavenly Mother".

I went there once with him and they tried to bother me to get baptised by them. They kept asking and asking but I kept saying “no thank you”

I declined!

They then ushered me into a small room and for about an hour took it in turns to go to work on me, one-to-one. They tried to brow-beat and charm me into getting baptised there by showing me connections within a bible that "proved" they were the one true church. And they had another book, that contained "evidence" of their various claims and interpretations. I was having none of it and they eventually gave up! I think they tried every trick in the book and exhausted their repertoire!

I resisted - and won!

It would have been so easy for me to get carried away with it all and to give in and get baptised by them. They were all very charming.

This was in 2019.

Earlier this year I got baptised in a truly Christian church. When I visited this "church" I considered myself a Christian but had not been properly baptised.

I'm still friends with the friend who took me there, but I will never set foot in their place again, now that I've been baptised.

cheeky200386

I was approached by two young woman the first year I was saved. Immediately when they said Jesus returned, the Holy Spirit reminded me of Matthew 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. I declined their invitation and countered their twisting of scripture with paraphrases from the Bible. They gave up and walked away. This was at a Walmart. I left and looked up the church name and was horrified at their teachings. I was praising God on my ride home.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve had an encounter with a cult, that I’d like to share here.

I have a friend who is a member of an organisation called The World Mission Society Church of God.

A strange cult that originates from South Korea.

I once visited their place of worship.

They believe that its founder and his wife are divine:

They call the founder “Christ” (he is now dead) and his wife “Heavenly Mother” (who is still alive) and believe they are both somehow God. And if you ask them, they will "prove" it by relating different bible verses to one another.

This friend of mine has been heavily coached in explaining and promoting this cult.

He calls himself a Christian, he believes this cult is the one and only authentic church.

He cross-references bible passages to prove that the bible mentions this cult and supports its outrageous claims. To me it all seems rather tenuous and desperate.

I do not consider them Christian as they deny the true nature of Christ and have built their religion around two people who are not Christ. Indeed, I'd go as far to say that they ignore Christ. Instead they have their "Heavenly Mother".

I went there once with him and they tried to bother me to get baptised by them. They kept asking and asking but I kept saying “no thank you”

I declined!

They then ushered me into a small room and for about an hour took it in turns to go to work on me, one-to-one. They tried to brow-beat and charm me into getting baptised there by showing me connections within a bible that "proved" they were the one true church. And they had another book, that contained "evidence" of their various claims and interpretations. I was having none of it and they eventually gave up! I think they tried every trick in the book and exhausted their repertoire!

I resisted - and won!

It would have been so easy for me to get carried away with it all and to give in and get baptised by them. They were all very charming.

This was in 2019.

Earlier this year I got baptised in a truly Christian church. When I visited this "church" I considered myself a Christian but had not been properly baptised.

I'm still friends with the friend who took me there, but I will never set foot in their place again, now that I've been baptised.
Yeah, they "came to town" a year or two back and I looked it up when their sign went up. The building is now for rent/sale and the location is no longer on their website - PTL!!! This is what it says on their website about them:

The World Mission Society Church of God is a Christian non-denominational church with more than 3 million registered members in approximately 7,500 locations in 175 countries. The Church of God believes in Second Coming Christ Ahnsahnghong and God the Mother — based on the Bible.

Nothing but blasphemy!!!

And of course as you mentioned they say their beliefs are "based on the Bible" :rolleyes

I'm glad you were able to resist their nonsense. :thumbup

KWD25

I ran into one of their members at my local Walmart. I was running a fever and was trying to buy some Tylenol when the man came up and started talking about their religion. From what I could tell, they twist the scriptures around to make a case for the woman leading the cult as being "God the Mother." Also, they apparently believe you have to "take the passover" to be saved. I don't know exactly what they think taking the passover is and I didn't stick around to find out (I figured this was a good idea when he asked if I wanted to take the passover "right now").