3) one hope of your calling;
4) One Lord,
5) one faith,
6) one baptism,
7) One God and Father of all,
Who is above all, and through all, and in you all.'
(Ephesians 4:1-6)

Hello there,

This sevenfold unity is something we are urged by the Apostle Paul to endeavour to 'KEEP', as a trust: but is christendom doing this?

Instead of one body, there are many bodies in evidence, in the form of separate denominations differentiated by differing doctrines: and though there is one hope, yet, among the denominations there is more than one 'hope' expressed: Similarly with one faith. Also instead of one baptism, that performed by the Spirit, in spirit on believing: there is also the continued use of water baptism, and the advocation of the necessity for a second experience in the form of baptism in the Spirit as evidenced during the Acts period, when there were two baptisms in operation . If you have thoughts to share on this I would be glad to hear them.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:

Wings

'Till we all come in the unity of the faith,
.. and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
.... unto a perfect man,
...... unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children,
.. tossed to and fro,
.... and carried about with every wind of doctrine,
...... by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love,
.. may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
.... From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth,
...... according to the effectual working in the measure of every part,
........ maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.'

(Ephesians 4:13-16)

Hello again,

This is the glorious object of keeping the unity of the Spirit, in the bond of peace. This is the glorious goal in view! How important therefore that it be kept.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Andy C

nstead of one body, there are many bodies in evidence, in the form of separate denominations differentiated by differing doctrines: and though there is one hope, yet, among the denominations there is more than one 'hope' expressed: Similarly with one faith. Also instead of one baptism, that performed by the Spirit, in spirit on believing: there is also the continued use of water baptism, and the advocation of the necessity for a second experience in the form of baptism in the Spirit as evidenced during the Acts period, when there were two baptisms in operation . If you have thoughts to share on this I would be glad to hear them.
Maybe its just me, but Im not sure what point you are trying to make in regards to baptism?

Reactions: Kem

Wings

Maybe its just me, but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make in regards to baptism?
Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
There is -
... one body, and
.... one Spirit, even as ye are called in
...... one hope of your calling;
........ One Lord,
.......... one faith,
............ one baptism,
.............. One God and Father of all,
Who is above all, and through all, and in you all.'

(Ephesians 4:1-6)

Hello @Andy C,

Perhaps I should ask you what baptism is being referred to in Ephesians 4:5, as the 'One Baptism' that is part of the sevenfold unity of the Spirit that we must endeavour to 'KEEP'? During the Acts period two baptisms were in evidence, baptism with water and baptism in the Holy Spirit, but here there is just one mentioned,

What is the 'One Body', or the 'One Hope', the 'One Faith' etc.,? What do they comprise? Is our understanding the same in regard to each of these points punctuated by the word, 'ONE'?

Thank you for responding.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
If I may just say since the subject of unity is being discussed (along with baptism), unity in Christ must be unity in biblical truth, not just unity for the sake of unity, otherwise, often there is truth mixed with no truth (and even complete lies). Just throwing that out there, since false teaching is being promoted in the name of unity throughout Christendom. :)

Also instead of one baptism, that performed by the Spirit, in spirit on believing: there is also the continued use of water baptism, and the advocation of the necessity for a second experience in the form of baptism in the Spirit as evidenced during the Acts period, when there were two baptisms in operation .

It sounds like you are contesting the idea that one is saved through water baptism and the idea that one is later baptised again by the Holy Spirit, but agreeing that those who've placed their faith in Jesus Christ have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and filled with the Holy Spirit already, correct?

We know in scripture that a person is saved only by repentance (change of mind) and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior......accepting His complete work done by Him for us on our behalf for our Salvation. All throughout Jesus' ministry His main focus was for people to believe in Him, place their faith in Him.

Don’t work for the food that perishes but for the food that lasts for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal of approval on Him.”

“What can we do to perform the works of God?” they asked.

Jesus replied, “This is the work of God—that you believe in the One He has sent.”
John 6:27-29

This is why the thief on the cross next to Jesus went to be in Paradise with Jesus, because of his faith placed right then and there in Jesus while on the cross. This shows that one is saved by faith in Jesus Christ period.

Then one of the criminals hanging there began to yell insults at Him: “Aren’t You the Messiah? Save Yourself and us!”

But the other answered, rebuking him: “Don’t you even fear God, since you are undergoing the same punishment? We are punished justly, because we’re getting back what we deserve for the things we did, but this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!”

And He said to him, “I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise.”

Luke 23:39-43

My understanding of baptism is that it's something that some people do in response to being saved from God's wrath to God's favor by placing their faith in Jesus Christ, rather than the baptism being a means of salvation.

It's all about faith in Jesus Christ, period. Faith is the means to salvation.

As far as baptism, these might be interesting articles to consider:

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/is-baptism-required/

I recently attended a church that is part of the Restoration Movement. This is the first I’d heard of it, but what puzzled me is that they believe baptism is necessary for salvation. They quote Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16 in their literature. Could you please give your take on these verses?

A
Baptism is the evidence of salvation, not a requirement for it. It’s the public confirmation of a decision made in the heart. Mark 16:16 encourages baptism as evidence of salvation but does not say that the failure to be baptized will result in condemnation. Only the failure to believe can cause that. The same is true of Acts 2:38. In both cases baptism is shown to be an important step in the salvation experience. But nowhere is it described as an essential prerequisite. If it is then the thief on the cross could not have been saved.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/baptism-paul-referring/

In our discussion group, a question about Galatians 3:26-27 came up. The question was “to what baptism is this making reference? Some say it is referring to water baptism, some thought it could be a spiritual baptism equivalent to “baptism of the Holy Spirit”. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

A
Here’s what Galatians 3:26-27 says. “You are all children of God through faith in Jesus Christ, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
The phrase translated “baptized into Christ” signifies the remission or washing away of sins. There is disagreement among scholars as to whether an actual immersion in water is necessary to be “baptized into Christ.” The clearest scriptures on this matter tell us believing that Jesus died for our sins and rose again is all that’s necessary to be included in Christ (John 5:24, John 6:28-29, Romans 10:9 Ephesians 1:13-14, etc.). After all, our sins are not “washed away” by the water. We are cleansed of all our sins by the shed blood of Jesus the moment we believe He died for us personally. Water baptism is a public ritual that demonstrates a private decision to be born again. Without that decision the public ritual is meaningless.
Paul said, ‘For Christ did not send me to baptize people but to preach the Gospel (1 Cor. 1:17). But if he was referring to an actual baptism in Galatians 3:26-27 it would have to be the water baptism because he never spoke of any other kind.

Wings

Thank you, @Everlasting Life,

For responding as you have. I will come back and reply properly asap, probably on Sunday now (God willing). It is after 11.00pm here in the UK,, so no time or energy to give your post the attention it deserves.

Within the love of Christ our Saviour.
Chris

Back