The Unforgivable Sin

Ruth

About a year ago, I posted a thread on this topic on another message board and because I was unsure of the answer - it became a dreadful mistake. This is not a topic to enter in lightly but it has been brought up in another thread so I want to bring it out into the light and I am asking all my brothers and sisters in Christ to please jump in on this one to support the truth of God's word.

There is ONE unforgivable sin. That is to reject the gospel of Jesus Christ unto death.

There are some who claim it is calling what is of the Holy Spirit - evil and for that a person is not forgiven. Some say that this cannot be done today and was only possible in the presence of Jesus when he walked in the flesh among them.

I reject the entire teaching because Jesus does walk among us today - while not in the flesh - I don't think something so serious would be qualified by Him being in the flesh or in the Spirit.

Also - if calling what was done by the Holy Spirit evil was 'the' sin then Paul - having been party to Stephen's stoning and being the number one persecutor of the Christians - was forgiven by Jesus on the road to Damascus and that would disqualify this explanation.

Acts 9:4
He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"

Blasphemy of Holy Spirit is rejecting the gospel. It is telling the Holy Spirit, who bears witness to all men's hearts - the testimony of Jesus Christ and the gift of grace to be born again a new creation, that you don't believe Him and in essence, call Him a liar - and through that decision - a person will not be forgiven.

None of us know what a person is given the truth in its fullness for their decision to be made. We are told that none of us know the day or hour of our death. No one should put off receiving the gift of grace for that reason.

There are no second chances on the other side of this life. If a person rejects the gift unto death - they have committed the only unforgable sin.

John 12
35Then Jesus told them, "You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. 36Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of light." When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.

Hebrews 6
4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, becauseto their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

This again - if a person having been given the truth in the light of the Holy Spirit and reject it by falling away from the truth - what more is there for them? There is no other truth for them to embrace and there is no hope for them.

Put another way - if you had the 'perfect' teacher give you a lesson on how to build a boat so it did not sink or ever take on water and you pushed that teaching aside and said - you're wrong. And then another comes along who teaches them a different way (but not the perfect way) and they accept that truth as the way to do it- they will build that boat and when they are out to sea - there is no hope because their boat will sink.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is rejecting His truth as a lie and dieing in their sins. There is only ONE sin that is unforgable and rejecting the gospel is it. There is nothing else under the sun that is not forgiven.

If doing what Paul did was the unforgivable sin then we would not have his writings or Jesus would not have converted Him to a child of light.

Back