The "Unforgivable Sin": What to do if you think you have committed it

SimplyJulie

Nearer My God to Thee
I think, as a Christian, if you have to question and wonder if you have committed it, it is very likely that you have not. Sort of like the rule of thumb for Alzheimer's...if you are cognitive enough to think you may have it, you most likely do not.

I think a sin of that magnitude would be a very deliberate and intentioned act, with the full knowledge of commission, but no remorse of the same.

Robert

Well, those verses you made reference to aren't stating, in any way, to be sins for which there is no forgiveness; at least it does not say so within the text. You can understand I have no reason whatsoever to defend a text about something when the text is silent.

I hold to once saved, always saved but also believe the scriptures condemn sin from start to finish. The line is simple for me, all sin is sin, and sin hinders a Christian's communion with God until it is repented and confessed. God bless.

Really?

Let's look at them:

"Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits. For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned." (Hebrews 6:1-8, NASB, emphasis mine)

"For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY.” And again, “THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.” It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:26-31, NASB, emphasis mine)

"If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death." (1 John 5:16-17, NASB, emphasis mine)

Now, since scripture does not say there is more than one sin that "leads unto death", then all of this is the same sin. And Jesus' words in Matthew to the pharisees about the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit indicate:

"“Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come." (Matthew 12:31-32, NASB, emphasis mine)

These verses are indeed speaking about the unforgivable sin, as I already made the case for in the OP. It all speaks to a final hardening of the heart and turning away from the Lord. If God is a spirit and is worshiped in spirit and in truth, then the Holy Spirit is blasphemed in the spirit. It's ONE sin, and it's unforgivable because the person who commits them doesn't want forgiveness nor thinks they have need of it. The text in this matter is far from silent, and speaks to a great degree on this.

To approach this from another angle: Yes, the Lord holds us to Him and keeps us. But if one continually walks away and struggles to get free of the Lord, not wanting to be with Him, the lord is not going to force someone to stay with Him. The prodigal son did come home, and his father rejoiced to see him and came out to him. But the father did not pursue him, or force him to stay when he initially left. Likewise, the Lord calls, but does not force us to stay if we choose to walk away.

To sum it up: if someone kept walking away from you and keeping their distance, even though they said they loved you, how seriously would you take them?

I think SimplyJulie has it right: it is not those who are afraid they have committed it who have done so, but those who do not care.

Noah Cotterill

I think, as a Christian, if you have to question and wonder if you have committed it, it is very likely that you have not. Sort of like the rule of thumb for Alzheimer's...if you are cognitive enough to think you may have it, you most likely do not.

I think a sin of that magnitude would be a very deliberate and intentioned act, with the full knowledge of commission, but no remorse of the same.
I'll add a little to this, falling along the same lines: Anyone, have you ever sinned (and very rebelliously, enjoying it too) and then thought after, "Dear Lord [respectfully, not blasphemously] forgive me. I'm just so uncontrolled. I don't want to do it, but like Paul said, I do what I wish not, and don't do what I wish to be so." If you say that, I'd say you're in a good place.

Remember the tax collector who wouldn't even raise his eyes to heaven, nor call God 'Father,' but calling Him Lord in stead whilst the Pharisee exalted himself? The tax collector prayed for forgiveness.

The difference between a Christian and an unbeliever is belief in sin, fault. An atheist cannot possibly believe that anything they do has fault (some may to an extent), unless they are acting quite hypocritically. This is due to a fundamental concept (which I won't get into at length. It would be pages long) that without a higher power of absolute truth or morals, and no absolute existing, only what you believe is true matters. Thus, who's to say who is right or wrong? The man with the most military strength.

Sinners deny their sin because they want to keep sinning, not feeling guilt and owning up to their faults. Us, well, we're no better, we just accept that we're sinners and permanently forgo denying God's omnipotence, omniscience, and blamelessness, holiness, and grace.

twit

@Robert, thanks for kind response and explanation. Again I stress that unforgivable sin isn't mentioned, barr Matthew, in these txts. The way I see it, if the Holy Spirit wanted to equate these scriptures with Matthew then He would surely have inserted it, bearing in mind He wrote through one of the brightest minds in the NT. We have a saying in N. Ireland...say what you see.

25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. 26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one. John 10.

From the above text we see 2 type of sheep, with confidence I declare that the true sheep have nothing to fear and the false sheep have everything to fear. I would follow others that teach we're dealing with apostates in the texts from Hebrews. It's clear from Heb 6 that some of these folk were instructed as far as what John the Baptist taught, Paul was trying to enlighten them with the full truth that they were in fact in the heavenlies. Christ is compared and contrasted with the old economy (which had/was passing away). To return to this was utter folly as God had set it aside and the only true place of witness was with Christ.

Hope this help explain my views. If not, say so, and I'll give a full response when I get some free time. God bless.

athalon7

Matthew12:
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

They attributed His miracles to the enemy rather than a good, Holy Spirit. The sin cannot be committed today.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I would disagree, my friend. It can. And is. But never by a person who does not know better. It is a conscious, willful sin.

RandallB

I would disagree, my friend. It can. And is. But never by a person who does not know better. It is a conscious, willful sin.
I can very truthfully testify that I have willfully and consciously sinned against what I knew the Lord wanted in my life. Paul said that he did also.

The only unforgivable sin is not accepting the Holy Spirit's testimony that the Lord died and rose again as payment for your sins. Which the Jews leaders were doing by ascribing Jesus' credential miracles to Satan.

The unforgivable sin can never been committed by someone that has accepted the Lord's finished work at the cross into their hearts.

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
The unforgivable sin can never been committed by someone that has accepted the Lord's finished work at the cross into their hearts.
And there's the rub; the unforgivable sin is the lost person's final rejection of Jesus and no repentance before death.
The saved in Jesus cannot commit this sin.

Those who believe in a works salvation focus on maintaining works to remain saved but that is denying Jesus' work on the cross and His continual cleansing (washing - sanctification) from sin.

newstate

It was almost 15 years ago and my father in law had just suffered a terrible stroke and we traveled to see see him and were able to talk with him for a short time. He had been a sunday school teacher for many years and was very old and he knew alot of scripture, and
he told us that he was afraid he had somehow committed the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit and that was why he had
suffered the terrible symptoms of the stroke. I know he was wrong and that he had lived a fine Christian life and that his last days
here on earth brought him quickly to physical death and also brought him quickly to Heaven.

We told him that we loved him and we knew that he had not committed the unpardonable sin and that was the truth.
I wish that I had then access to this fine write to show him how wrong he was.
(I don't mean my written part of this.)

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Is this still open for discussion
If you want to discuss it. But the answer was the only unforgivable sin today is to not accept the sin payment Jesus paid on the Cross. For that you will not be forgiven. Your destination will be Hell. However, if you accept Jesus' sin payment on the Cross, you will have eternal life.

In the Bible, the unforgivable sin was the religious leaders of Jesus' time attributing His miracles to the power of satan rather than being from God. For this, they were not forgiven. They knew better and they knew who he was. But instead denied it so they could keep their positions of power. They have led many astray over the last 2,000 years as a result. They were the ones who were spoken of in the scriptures as not being forgiven.

But if there is something else you want to talk about feel free.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I can very truthfully testify that I have willfully and consciously sinned against what I knew the Lord wanted in my life. Paul said that he did also.

The only unforgivable sin is not accepting the Holy Spirit's testimony that the Lord died and rose again as payment for your sins. Which the Jews leaders were doing by ascribing Jesus' credential miracles to Satan.

I think you misunderstand, my brother. (Or I just did not say it clearly.) The unforgivable sin is not ANY conscious, willful sin ... but rather one of two: either the conscious, willful and blasphemous rejection of the Holy Spirit, knowing that His work is of God but claiming that His work is actually the work of Satan; or, as Chris and Buzz have said, it is the conscious, willful rejection of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and, thus, the only way to God.

SueD.

An excellent article -- even from all those years ago. Someone had said once that the unforgiveable sin can't be committed anymore -- but only in Jesus time here on earth. That may or may Not be correct -- but as another poster has said -- the person who is concerned that they Might have committed it and concerned about their salvation, doesn't need to worry. Once the Holy Spirit comes to indwell a person, He won't leave until we are safe with Jesus Christ. And if a person Isn't sure of their salvation, Make sure Now.

so-blessed

From Friends of Israel publication Israel My Glory, a teaching which is clear in scripture. It makes it very clear and there are many more out there to reassure that whilst not believing in the risen Christ is a sin that will take you straight to hell it is not quite the same as the unpardonable sin spoken of in scripture. If you are part of the Bride of Christ, rest assured dear one, you have NOT committed this sin.

Q: What is the Unpardonable Sin?
“Therefore I [Jesus] say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come” (Mt. 12:31–32; cf. Mk. 3:22–30).

According to Jesus, the unpardonable sin is “blasphemy against the [Holy] Spirit” (Mt. 12:31). However, it is important to study the context of Matthew 12:22–32 to understand what this means.

Jesus had just healed a blind, mute, demon-possessed man who then immediately spoke and saw (v. 22). The multitudes were amazed and asked with some skepticism, “Could this be the Son of David?” (v. 23). In other words, is Jesus the promised Messiah who has come to rule over Israel?

The Pharisees, however, declared, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons” (v. 24). They admitted Jesus performed a miracle; but they accused Him of being demon-possessed and performing the miracle through Satan. Therefore, they were proclaiming that Jesus was not the Messiah.

Jesus countered their accusation by telling them the following:

1. Satan would never cast out demons because it would destroy his kingdom (v. 26).

2. If Satan empowered exorcisms, then the Jewish exorcists, whom the Pharisees believed cast out demons using divine power, also cast out demons using demonic power. Therefore, their logic actually condemned their own exorcists as well (v. 27).

3. If Jesus cast out demons by the Holy Spirit, which He did, then Jesus was destroying Satan’s kingdom and had come to institute God’s Kingdom in Israel through the Holy Spirit (v. 28).

4. Casting out demons for a good purpose (to heal a man and deliver him from demon possession) proved Jesus’ miracle-working power was from God, not Satan.

To attribute the Holy Spirit’s power to Satan was unforgivable blasphemy. The unpardonable sin was attributing to Satan the righteous work of the Holy Spirit of God in healing the demon-possessed man through Jesus (v. 32).

This sin was unique and exclusive to this particular situation. The unpardonable sin cannot be committed today because Jesus is not physically on Earth performing miracles through the Holy Spirit of God.

David M. Levy is the Director of Education and Ministry Relations, as well as being an author and Bible teacher for The Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
From Friends of Israel publication Israel My Glory, a teaching which is clear in scripture. It makes it very clear and there are many more out there to reassure that whilst not believing in the risen Christ is a sin that will take you straight to hell it is not quite the same as the unpardonable sin spoken of in scripture. If you are part of the Bride of Christ, rest assured dear one, you have NOT committed this sin.

Q: What is the Unpardonable Sin?
“Therefore I [Jesus] say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come” (Mt. 12:31–32; cf. Mk. 3:22–30).

According to Jesus, the unpardonable sin is “blasphemy against the [Holy] Spirit” (Mt. 12:31). However, it is important to study the context of Matthew 12:22–32 to understand what this means.

Jesus had just healed a blind, mute, demon-possessed man who then immediately spoke and saw (v. 22). The multitudes were amazed and asked with some skepticism, “Could this be the Son of David?” (v. 23). In other words, is Jesus the promised Messiah who has come to rule over Israel?

The Pharisees, however, declared, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons” (v. 24). They admitted Jesus performed a miracle; but they accused Him of being demon-possessed and performing the miracle through Satan. Therefore, they were proclaiming that Jesus was not the Messiah.

Jesus countered their accusation by telling them the following:

1. Satan would never cast out demons because it would destroy his kingdom (v. 26).

2. If Satan empowered exorcisms, then the Jewish exorcists, whom the Pharisees believed cast out demons using divine power, also cast out demons using demonic power. Therefore, their logic actually condemned their own exorcists as well (v. 27).

3. If Jesus cast out demons by the Holy Spirit, which He did, then Jesus was destroying Satan’s kingdom and had come to institute God’s Kingdom in Israel through the Holy Spirit (v. 28).

4. Casting out demons for a good purpose (to heal a man and deliver him from demon possession) proved Jesus’ miracle-working power was from God, not Satan.

To attribute the Holy Spirit’s power to Satan was unforgivable blasphemy. The unpardonable sin was attributing to Satan the righteous work of the Holy Spirit of God in healing the demon-possessed man through Jesus (v. 32).

This sin was unique and exclusive to this particular situation. The unpardonable sin cannot be committed today because Jesus is not physically on Earth performing miracles through the Holy Spirit of God.

David M. Levy is the Director of Education and Ministry Relations, as well as being an author and Bible teacher for The Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry.
Absolutely correct in EVERY respect! Excellent.

Rocky Rivera

I once had this kind of worry. It stressed me for over a week, until I realized in an answer to prayer that anyone who is "freaked out" over allegedly committing this sin has not done so because that individual shows, by his / her very concern, that they have NOT committed it. A person who has done so wouldn't care.