The "Unforgivable Sin": What to do if you think you have committed it

Elijah's Mantle

:thinking:
what perplexes me about this is those who would be practicing
what is called satanism

considering freewill
and also lines drawn regarding (Father son Holy Spirit )

Im not 100 percent certain it is impossible

very highly unlikely for a believer though :(( that I do agree on

however with satanism
the hierarchical ones for instance warlocks etcetera Im not certain it s impossible for them :scratch:
the nature of what they do alone is enough to convince me they are definably in a state of total unforgivably condition

Robert

Thanks for the thread. I agree with the post and appreciate it. I have thought about this a lot over the years. I feel the sin cannot be committed today because the Pharisees attributed Jesus' miracles to Satan which is a sin against the Holy Spirit because the miracles were from the Holy Spirit. Since Jesus is not in the flesh the sin I feel cannot be committed.

So when you say it's the caring that is a sign you are saved it truly is a sign that God has you firmly in His hand. But its not the lack of concern that causes you to be lost as this would be works for salvation. Its the willfull sin over and over again and disregard for God and Jesus that led to the lack of concern. So the lack of concern is a sign but not the reason. I think this is what you are saying but I want to clarify. This does not mean in my opinion God cannot reach down and save a person in this state.

This could lead into another discussion because God has been so patient with me I find it hard to believe that its not possible for everybody to have the chance at salvation right up until the second they die. In other words there is no line that once they cross it, that's it. God has deemed them lost forever even though they are still alive.

I have questioned this for a long time. I believe we all live within a "framework". God gives us freedom up to a point but when we reach a critical level of sin He reaches down and brings us back. But some people are just hardened. Is this because of family and upbringing? I have had a really patient and loving family but look at some of the upbringing some people have had to endure. Can you see how they would be mad at God? I can see it. A wise woman once said that whenever you meet an atheist, look for the trauma in their life. I really would like some thoughts on this, maybe I will start another thread.
Athalon7,

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but I had to think on you questions.

What I am saying is that the only person who cannot be forgiven is the one who does not want forgiveness. Such a person would think that they have not sinned, which is the attitude that the pharisees had. But as long as a heart has not completely turned to stone, there is still hope that teh holy Spirit can still convict that person. unfortunately, we have no way of telling the condition of a person's heart; only God can do that. If a person is scared they have committed the unforgivable sin, then they are concerned that they have sinned. That means that they seek forgiveness.

That said, i believe as well that up until the second a person dies, if they recognize that they need forgiveness and ask for it, even on their death bed, the Lord will grant it.My upbringing was harsh and the circumstances were not pleasant at all, but those things ultimately led me to God, not away from him. but we are all different. My experience is that the Lord will not allow any of us to leave this life without ample opportunity to accept his precious gift. his love can pierce the hardest hearts, but only if they are willing. My heart was nearly stone at one point, but it is incredible what the Lord can do.

Bert & Ernie

GOD is OUR Savior!
Recently, I have seen on RR and RF christians who believe that they have committed the "Unforgivable Sin," and end up going through a nightmare of panic, horror, agony, heartbreak, sleepless nights, and utter despair. They feel they have lost their salvation, and they are doomed; that God cannot forgive them and that they are now bound for the Lake of Fire.

If you are in that position right now; PLEASE read the following article carefully. It's going to be a bit long, but trust me: you'll be happy you did.

I apologize for this being so long, but I had quite a bit to say, I pray that this message reaches those that are frightened, and offers them some comfort and hope. I have been there, and i have felt the horror and dread of this.

I bid you peace.

YBIC,

-Robert
Thank you for that. I needed it. You sir, are my knowledge highway now. :elmogrin

WWCD!

-Bert & Ernie

jodee

I used to be kind of worried about these same things, then I took an in depth study on Romans:thumbup. Which teaches about justification and sanctification. Justified= Just as if we never sinned. Amazing and humbling to think, huh? These verses also come to mind:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

“ Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool.

- Isaiah 1:18

:cool:

Ducati

To make it simple (having not read the other posts), if you are a Born Again COG then it is imposable for you to commit the unpardonable sin. The unpardonable sin is an on going , willful rejection of the Holy Spirits call to Salvation.

Hope thats not a repost of another. :writing:

Tom Bonvie

WOW! The "UNFORGIVABLE SIN" .....God is not the author of confusion...but Satan IS.

When a discussion comes up concerning the UNFORGIVABLE SIN, be sure of this one thing, Satan has his troops out in full force to interfere and cause CONFUSION.

The number one method that old Devil uses is MULTIPLE APPLICATION of Gods INFALLIBLE Word.
This is done so effectively through the use of different Bible versions. Whenever I see this happen, a red flag goes up and the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart.."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!"

I notice in your descriptive of the UNFORGIVABLE SIN, such is the case.
Not to get bogged down here...for I fear the editor's knife....

Never the less, I will put in my 2 cents and then be gone ..and I will not "clutter" the acute minds of the weary of heart with scripture.

Instead, allow me to say this: to those who are still mesmerized by what really is the UNFORGIVABLE SIN.....is it not attributing the perfect will of God to that of the Devil and his demons? (full stop)

One must also be mindful to pay particular attention to whom SPECIFICALLY the books of Peter and Hebrews are addressing, just as we also discern the old and new testaments AND Law and Grace.

In conclusion: in my earnest opinion, as being influenced by the Holy Spirit of God and His PRESERVED WORD, that one who is truly SAVED can NOT commit the UNFORGIVABLE SIN.

Tom Bonvie (One God..One Bible) "Why make it complicated?"

Last edited by a moderator:

JC1949

WOW! The "UNFORGIVABLE SIN" .....God is not the author of confusion...but Satan IS.

When a discussion comes up concerning the UNFORGIVABLE SIN, be sure of this one thing, Satan has his troops out in full force to interfere and cause CONFUSION.

The number one method that old Devil uses is MULTIPLE APPLICATION of Gods INFALLIBLE Word.
This is done so effectively through the use of different Bible versions. Whenever I see this happen, a red flag goes up and the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart.."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!"

Never the less, I will put in my 2 cents and then be gone ..and I will not "clutter" the acute minds of the weary of heart with scripture.

Instead, allow me to say this: to those who are still mesmerized by what really is the UNFORGIVABLE SIN.....is it not attributing the perfect will of God to that of the Devil and his demons? (full stop)

One must also be mindful to pay particular attention to whom SPECIFICALLY the books of Peter and Hebrews are addressing, just as we also discern the old and new testaments AND Law and Grace.

In conclusion: in my earnest opinion, as being influenced by the Holy Spirit of God and His PRESERVED WORD, that one who is truly SAVED can NOT commit the UNFORGIVABLE SIN.

May I suggest you download the sermon "CONFUSION" from my web site tillhecomes.net (BATTLE SITE FOR CHRIST)

I AGREE.....NO BORN AGAIN BELIEVER,one who is SAVED BY GRACE through FAITH in JESUS FINISHED WORK CAN EVER COMMIT THIS KIND OF SIN.:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Robert

Please do not turn this into a "bible version" thread; I get "red alert" when someone insists God could not keep His word pure in several versions, and thus waters down His power and sovereignty. If you read scriptures, there is a common thread throughout the passages that speak on the unforgivable sin. And it is NOT "attributing the perfect will of God to Satan". The pharisees hearts were solid stone, and they spat in the face of the Holy Spirit. This theme of turning away from the Lord is at the core of all the passages involving the "unforgivable sin".

As for "not cluttering the acute minds of the weary of heart with scripture"; please do post whatever passages you feel would support your case. In the passages that have been posted here, nothing has been read into scripture (eisegesis), but instead, the reading of scripture has formed the opinion (exegesis). I have seen too many live in fear of having committed the unforgivable sin; that is why this was written.

BTW: I do not fear the "editor's knife" here. The moderators are not petty nor subjective in their work, and they do not play favorites. If something gets deleted, rest assured, it was for a good, biblical reason.

caligal

Thank God that I was able to find this topic again. I have been looking for it for days. The devil has been tormenting me with something I said years ago before I was saved. I once carelessly agreed with someone that maybe God was dead or maybe didn't even exist. :crying Satan loves holding this one conversation in front of my face and uses it to make me tremble and even cry.:crying I am crying even as I type this. I love the Lord and the most fearful thing I can think of is Him saying, depart from me, I never knew you. Roberts explanations have helped reassure me that I am indeed in the palm of Gods hand, safe forever.

caligal

Thank you Mattfivefour. The evil one usually jumps at me with this when I am rejoicing to God for my salvation and looking eagerly for His return for His bride. I remind myself, greater is He that is in me , than he that is in the world. Lately though he has been hammering me with this, and I knew there was a thread that addressed this and started looking for it.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
He used to do the same thing to me with the fact that many, many years ago I swore falsely on the Blood that I had not done something that I had done. I claimed to be born again at the time but was not serving God and was attempting to cover my sin. Satan used that for years, telling me I could never be saved because of that. As I said, he is a liar.

Tom Bonvie

I've always believed that he who commits the "unforgivable sin" is simply not saved to begin with.

Committing the UNFORGIVABLE SIN is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to that of Satan.

He who is truly indwelt by the Holy Spirit WOULD NOT and CAN NOT commit this verbal atrocity.

twit

I believe this was aimed a those Pharisees specifically, for what they said. I do not believe it can happen today as Jesus is no longer on earth. That He came unto His own but was rejected was bad enough, but these Pharisees cried, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. I believe that only a Jew could commit this sin, and only while Jesus was amongst them. God bless.

Noah Cotterill

This subject ... of sinning deeply after having received the knowledge of the gospel and so being cast away from His Presence forever ... has touched me. I, too, went through a period when I felt all hope was gone. But, you see, I just did not understand the richness or the height and depth and breadth of the love of God that He has shed on us in Jesus.

I was listening to Jason Crabb tonight tell the story of his dad—a man who had walked away from the Lord and wound up divorced, then remarried, and finally a broken down alcoholic with six kids. Jason said, after all of this and after years of wandering, his dad was alone one rainy day in the small car wash he ran when he heard God speak to him and say, "Gerald, I still love you." Tears began streaming down his face and he got down on his knees in the mud of that car wash and said to God, "I still love you, too. I am so sorry. Please forgive me." He was restored by the love of God, pastored a small church in Kentucky, and became one of the great gospel song writers of all time.

You see, when we first truly turn to God, He never lets go of us. His love for us is beyond anything we can imagine. If we have ever truly wanted to serve Him, He will always work to bring us back and make us into what He has destined us to be.

Out of Gerald Crabb's experience came his first great gospel song: Please Forgive Me. Jason and the rest of the Crabb family sing this song below. The lyrics follow.

I pray that if anybody feels that they have gone too far from God that Gerald Crabb's story will convince them of the everlasting love of God ... for THEM. He doesn't just love mankind in general: He loves YOU. You, the individual. The one reading this. With all your faults. With all your fears. With all your failings. With all that you have done. Call out to Him, dear one, He will restore you and make you a pillar in His church.

[YOU TUBE VIDEO]P-7pX7-DQoQ[/YOU TUBE VIDEO]

My sleep is gone, my heart is full of sorrow,
I cant believe how much I've let you down.
I dread the pain that waits for me tomorrow
When the sun reveals my broken dreams scattered on the ground.

Chorus:
Please forgive me;
I need your grace to make it through.
All I have is you, I'm at your mercy.
Lord, i'll serve you
Until my dying day,
And help others find the way
At your mercy.
Please forgive me

I cant believe the God of earth and glory
Would take the time to care for one like me;
But I read in the Bible that old story
How he plead for my forgiveness while He was dying on a tree

Chorus:
Please forgive me;
I need your grace to make it through.
All I have is you, I'm at your mercy.
Lord, I'll serve you
Until my dying day,
And help others find the way
At your mercy.
Please forgive me.

Isn't that wonderful? We go out and spend all our father's money, get drunk, sleep with women, and eat pig slop metaphorically speaking, and God welcomes us back and throws a party when we seek Him again. He doesn't woop us like I would be inclined to do if my son did that.

Robert

I believe this was aimed a those Pharisees specifically, for what they said. I do not believe it can happen today as Jesus is no longer on earth. That He came unto His own but was rejected was bad enough, but these Pharisees cried, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. I believe that only a Jew could commit this sin, and only while Jesus was amongst them. God bless.
I think otherwise.

As I stated in the OP, it happens when one's heart hardens completely and they die in their sin. And if it could only happen while Jesus was on earth, then the verses in Hebrews 6 and 10 as in John 5 would be false.

Keep in mind: John said in his first letter "there IS a sin unto death"; this would contradict the unforgivable sin only being able to be committed in Jesus' day.

I really think it's time to examine our hearts and see if the so-called "OSAS" is scripturally supported. No, God is not looking to boot us out for one offense, and He's not looking to throw us into hell for the slightest slip. But that said: He takes sin seriously, and if we're trying to find where the Lord has "drawn the line", then perhaps we're closer to stepping over it than we suspect.

The Lord gives us two points to show us the road between, not so we may cling to one curb or the other.

twit

I think otherwise.

As I stated in the OP, it happens when one's heart hardens completely and they die in their sin. And if it could only happen while Jesus was on earth, then the verses in Hebrews 6 and 10 as in John 5 would be false.

Keep in mind: John said in his first letter "there IS a sin unto death"; this would contradict the unforgivable sin only being able to be committed in Jesus' day.

I really think it's time to examine our hearts and see if the so-called "OSAS" is scripturally supported. No, God is not looking to boot us out for one offense, and He's not looking to throw us into hell for the slightest slip. But that said: He takes sin seriously, and if we're trying to find where the Lord has "drawn the line", then perhaps we're closer to stepping over it than we suspect.

The Lord gives us two points to show us the road between, not so we may cling to one curb or the other.

Well, those verses you made reference to aren't stating, in any way, to be sins for which there is no forgiveness; at least it does not say so within the text. You can understand I have no reason whatsoever to defend a text about something when the text is silent.

I hold to once saved, always saved but also believe the scriptures condemn sin from start to finish. The line is simple for me, all sin is sin, and sin hinders a Christian's communion with God until it is repented and confessed. God bless.