The "Unforgivable Sin": What to do if you think you have committed it

PraisingHimAlways

watching and waiting
You see, when we first truly turn to God, He never lets go of us. His love for us is beyond anything we can imagine. If we have ever truly wanted to serve Him, He will always work to bring us back and make us into what He has destined us to be.
This took me a long time to understand...I wanted Him in my life so badly...I'd prayed for forgiveness so many times...asked Him to "please don't forget me", "please don't give up on me"...but I felt a barrier between us...then I asked Him "Lord, please make me willing, I cannot do this on my own". Then He began to show me that He'd been there the whole time...preserving me...not leaving me to my own devices...He is the only source of true Joy; nothing else even comes close. To know that my purpose here is to glorify Him, and that I will one day spend eternity with Him, is truly something so wonderful I can hardly fathom it. :nod

Robert

God walks with us, and even watches as we walk away from him. But for those that are truly his, he never lets go, and sooner or later, we return.

I know: there were times I walked away.

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
Not too clear on monergism or theology, I just read the Bible a lot and hunger and weep and worry and wonder, so this article hits close to home for me....

The Nature and Basis of Assurance by A.W. Pink
The Nature and Basis of Assurance
by A.W. Pink

At the commencement of Matthew 5 we find the Lord Jesus pronouncing blessed a certain class of people. They are not named as "believers" or saints," but instead are described by their characters; and it is only by comparing ourselves and others with the description that the Lord Jesus there gave, that we are enabled to identify such. First, He said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit." To be "poor in spirit" is to have a feeling sense that in me, that is, in my flesh, "there dwelleth no good thing" (Rom. 7:18). It is the realization that 1 am utterly destitute of anything and everything which could commend me favorably to God’s notice. It is to recognize that I am a spiritual bankrupt. It is the consciousness, even now (not years ago, when I was first awakened), that I am without strength and wisdom, and that I am a helpless creature, completely dependent upon the grace and mercy of God. To be "poor in spirit" is the opposite of Laodiceanism, which consists of self-complacency and self-sufficiency, imagining I am "rich, and in need of nothing."

"Blessed are they that mourn." It is one thing to believe the theory that I am spiritually a poverty-stricken pauper, it is quite another to have an acute sense of it in my soul. Where the latter exists, there are deep exercises of heart, which evoke the bitter cry, "my leanness, my leanness, woe unto me!" (Isa. 24:16). There is deep anguish that there is so little growth in grace, so little fruit to God’s glory, such a wretched return made for His abounding goodness unto me. This is accompanied by an ever-deepening discovery of the depths of corruption which is still within me. The soul finds that when it would do good, evil is present with him (Rom. 7:21). It is grieved by the motions of unbelief, the swellings of pride, the surging of rebellion against God. Instead of peace, there is war within; instead of realizing his holy aspirations, the blessed one is daily defeated; until the stricken heart cries out, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Rom. 7:24).

"Blessed are the meek." Meekness is yieldedness. It is the opposite of self-will. Meekness is pliability and meltedness of heart, which makes me submissive and responsive to God’s will. Now observe, dear reader, these first three marks of the "blessed" consist not in outward actions, but of inward graces; not in showy deeds, but in states of soul. Note too that they are far from being characteristics which will render their possessor pleasing and popular to the world. He who feels himself to be a spiritual pauper will not be welcomed by the wealthy Laodiceans. He who daily mourns for his leanness, his barrenness, his sinfulness, will not be courted by the self-righteous. He who is truly meek will not be sought after by the self-assertive. No, he will be scorned by the Pharisees and looked upon with contempt by those who boast they are "out of Romans 7 and living in Romans 8." These lovely graces, which are of great price in the sight of God, are despised by the bloated professors of the day...

He who is really honest with himself and has had his eyes opened in some degree to see the awful sinfulness of self, and who is becoming more and more acquainted with that sink of iniquity, that mass of corruption which still indwells him, often feels that sin more completely rules him now than ever it did before. When he longs to trust God with all his heart, unbelief seems to paralyze him. When he wishes to be completely surrendered to God’s blessed will, murmurings and rebellion surge within him. When he would spend an hour in meditating on the things of God, evil imaginations harass him. When he desires to be more humble, pride seeks to fill him. When he would pray, his mind wanders. The more he fights against these sins, the further off victory seems to be. To him it appears that sin is very much the master of him, and Satan tells him that his profession is vain. What shall we say to such a dear soul who is deeply exercised over this problem? Two things.

First, the very fact that you are conscious of these sins and are so much concerned over your failure to overcome them, is a healthy sign. It is the blind who cannot see; it is the dead who feel not—true alike naturally and spiritually. Only they who have been quickened into newness of life are capable of real sorrow for sin. Moreover, such experiences as we have mentioned above evidence a spiritual growth: a growth in the knowledge of self. As the wise man tells us, "he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow" (Eccl. 1:18). In God’s light we see light (Ps. 36:9). The more the Holy Spirit reveals to me the high claims of God’s holiness, the more I discover how far short I come of meeting them. Let the midday sun shine into a darkened room, and dust and dirt which before were invisible are now plainly seen. So with the Christian: the more the light of God enters his heart, the more he discovers the spiritual filth which dwells there. Beloved brother, or sister, it is not that you are becoming more sinful, but that God is now giving you a clearer and fuller sight of your sinfulness. Praise Him for it, for the eyes of the vast majority of your fellows (religionists included) are blind, and cannot see what so distresses you!

Second, side by side with sin in your heart is grace. There is a new and holy nature within the Christian as well as the old and unholy one. Grace is active within you, as well as sin. The new nature is influencing your conduct as well as the old. Why is it that you so desire to be conformed to the image of Christ, to trust Him fully, love Him fervently, and serve Him diligently? These longings proceed not from the flesh. No, my distressed brother or sister, sin is not your complete master; if it were, all aspirations, prayers, and strivings after holiness would be banished from your heart. There are "as it were the company of two armies" (Song of Sol. 6:13) fighting to gain control of the Christian. As it was with our mother Rebekah—"the children struggled together within her" (Gen. 25:22)—so it is with us. But the very "struggle" shows that the issue is not yet decided: had sin conquered, the soul would no longer be able to resist. The conqueror disarms his enemy so that he can no longer fight back. The very fact that you are still "fighting" proves that sin has not vanquished you! It may seem to you that it soon will: but the issue is not in doubt—Christ will yet save you from the very presence of sin.

Having sought in the above paragraphs to heed the injunction found in Hebrews 12:12, 13 to "lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees," and to make "straight paths" for the feet of God’s little ones, "lest that which is lame be turned out of the way," let us again direct our attention unto those who "have not a doubt" of their acceptance in Christ, and perhaps feel no personal need for what has been said above. The Lord declared that a tree is known by its fruits, so there cannot be anything wrong in examining the tree of our heart, to ascertain what kind of "fruit" it is now bringing forth, and discover whether it be such as may proceed from mere nature, or that which can only issue from indwelling grace. It may at once be objected, But nothing spiritual can issue from ourselves. From our natural selves, No; but from a regenerated person, Yes. But how can an evil tree ever be any different? Christ said, "Make the tree good, and his fruit good" (Matt. 12:33). This is typed out by engrafting a new slip on an old stock...

In considering the basis of the Christian’s assurance we must distinguish sharply between the ground of his acceptance before God, and his own knowledge that he is accepted by Him. Nothing but the righteousness of Christ-wrought out by Him in His virtuous life and vicarious death—can give any sinner a perfect legal standing before the thrice holy God. And nothing but the communication of a new nature, a supernatural work of grace within, can furnish proof that the righteousness of Christ has been placed to my account. Whom God legally saves, he experimentally saves; whom He justifies, them He also sanctifies. Where the righteousness of Christ is imputed to an individual, a principle of holiness is imparted to him; the former can only be ascertained by the latter. It is impossible to obtain a scriptural knowledge that the merits of Christ’s finished work are reckoned to my account, except by proving that the efficacy of the Holy Spirit’s work is evident in my soul.

- A.W. Pink, Studies on Saving Faith Excerpted from two chapters: The Nature of Assurance & The Basis of Assurance

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
It is impossible to obtain a scriptural knowledge that the merits of Christ’s finished work are reckoned to my account, except by proving that the efficacy of the Holy Spirit’s work is evident in my soul.
Absolutely. Not that works or changes are the cause of salvation, but rather the fruit of it.

Elijah's Mantle

when I was first saved then after words had struggles with complete obedience I thought that I would not be forgiven because I was disrespectful to somebody and I got into trouble and I now know that I can be forgiven :(( I was terrified about it because I thought I could maybe not :crying

from reading this I understand that when we have problems between people and harsh words are said :crying we can still be forgiven and it does not mean we are unpardonable because we sinned if we go and
seek with all our hearts to repent making whatever was done in disrespect right

right ?

Elijah's Mantle

when is talks about the fruit and the tree wasn't Jesus raised on firstfruits ?

that means if he was that he is the tree of life for us so we can be resurrected from the dead ?

I think I get most about the reserection of the dead but I understand it is Jesus that is the tree of life from studying about it

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
when I was first saved then after words had struggles with complete obedience I thought that I would not be forgiven because I was disrespectful to somebody and I got into trouble and I now know that I can be forgiven :(( I was terrified about it because I thought I could maybe not :crying

from reading this I understand that when we have problems between people and harsh words are said :crying we can still be forgiven and it does not mean we are unpardonable because we sinned if we go and
seek with all our hearts to repent making whatever was done in disrespect right

right ?
Right, bro! :thumbup

Meg

Matt, thank you! I needed this statement right about now. You need to remind yourself of your own words now and then as well, we all do sometimes...

You see, when we first truly turn to God, He never lets go of us. His love for us is beyond anything we can imagine. If we have ever truly wanted to serve Him, He will always work to bring us back and make us into what He has destined us to be.
:meet: :meet: :meet:

Last edited by a moderator:

Meg

This took me a long time to understand...I wanted Him in my life so badly...I'd prayed for forgiveness so many times...asked Him to "please don't forget me", "please don't give up on me"...but I felt a barrier between us...then I asked Him "Lord, please make me willing, I cannot do this on my own". Then He began to show me that He'd been there the whole time...preserving me...not leaving me to my own devices...He is the only source of true Joy; nothing else even comes close. To know that my purpose here is to glorify Him, and that I will one day spend eternity with Him, is truly something so wonderful I can hardly fathom it. :nod
:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug Here's another piece of what I'm needing lately. The whole meaning of the answer to my tortured questions is starting to show now...

Meg

Quote lifted from the article Micah posted:

"Blessed are they that mourn." It is one thing to believe the theory that I am spiritually a poverty-stricken pauper, it is quite another to have an acute sense of it in my soul. Where the latter exists, there are deep exercises of heart, which evoke the bitter cry, "my leanness, my leanness, woe unto me!" (Isa. 24:16). There is deep anguish that there is so little growth in grace, so little fruit to God’s glory, such a wretched return made for His abounding goodness unto me. This is accompanied by an ever-deepening discovery of the depths of corruption which is still within me. The soul finds that when it would do good, evil is present with him (Rom. 7:21). It is grieved by the motions of unbelief, the swellings of pride, the surging of rebellion against God. Instead of peace, there is war within; instead of realizing his holy aspirations, the blessed one is daily defeated; until the stricken heart cries out, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Rom. 7:24).
I have found this sort of thing can be rooted in uncertainty. When people dealing with pride issues speak to people dealing with uncertainty issues, the proud often accuse the uncertain of unbelief. Thats not fair. Please check my prayer request for my community in the Prayer Request board for the backstory there.

In times of long drawn out conflict, when we have prayed in genuine faith, but years of preparation for not just one participant in the solution, but all key players are unfolding, sometimes all we see is, as I put it in prayer this morning, "the blood running down the front of me", and things look hopeless. Thats not unbelief, thats uncertainty, and everybody suffers from that. Abraham did, Moses did, I did, everyone else I have ever heard of did. Jesus Christ taught us the only way to put up a fight, "Not My will, but Yours be done". Incidentally, or maybe not..., Jesus Christ was sweating blood when He got to that point. Anyone else been close?

poppycorn

Robert, great great post. I pray life is being blown into the poor soul who "thinks" they have committed the unpardonable sin right now. Thanks for sharing God's word

fisher

yes great post Robert!
the verse from Jn6:39 is awesome, one of those power verses. He's so good and gives us each verses quick to our hearts that turn out to be our own power verse we can stand on! God bless you and rejoice in the Lord! :))

Navyblue

Be the best Briquette in the Lake of Fire, singing Praises at the top of your lungs, forever, if need be, after repenting, of course. Just think how that will irritate Satan, and those of his ilk. Of course you will not want to sleep, but you probably won't be able to any how.

In Messiah, Keeping the Watch.

Arley

athalon7

Thanks for the thread. I agree with the post and appreciate it. I have thought about this a lot over the years. I feel the sin cannot be committed today because the Pharisees attributed Jesus' miracles to Satan which is a sin against the Holy Spirit because the miracles were from the Holy Spirit. Since Jesus is not in the flesh the sin I feel cannot be committed.

So when you say it's the caring that is a sign you are saved it truly is a sign that God has you firmly in His hand. But its not the lack of concern that causes you to be lost as this would be works for salvation. Its the willfull sin over and over again and disregard for God and Jesus that led to the lack of concern. So the lack of concern is a sign but not the reason. I think this is what you are saying but I want to clarify. This does not mean in my opinion God cannot reach down and save a person in this state.

This could lead into another discussion because God has been so patient with me I find it hard to believe that its not possible for everybody to have the chance at salvation right up until the second they die. In other words there is no line that once they cross it, that's it. God has deemed them lost forever even though they are still alive.

I have questioned this for a long time. I believe we all live within a "framework". God gives us freedom up to a point but when we reach a critical level of sin He reaches down and brings us back. But some people are just hardened. Is this because of family and upbringing? I have had a really patient and loving family but look at some of the upbringing some people have had to endure. Can you see how they would be mad at God? I can see it. A wise woman once said that whenever you meet an atheist, look for the trauma in their life. I really would like some thoughts on this, maybe I will start another thread.

Elijah's Mantle

Thanks for the thread. I agree with the post and appreciate it. I have thought about this a lot over the years. I feel the sin cannot be committed today because the Pharisees attributed Jesus' miracles to Satan which is a sin against the Holy Spirit because the miracles were from the Holy Spirit. Since Jesus is not in the flesh the sin I feel cannot be committed.
:thinking: athalon7 I wanted to ask you how do you feel the sin can not be committed because Jesus is not in the flesh ? :scratch: even in the flesh Jesus Christ did Not have a sin nature
and with miracles that happen in todays time , some one could do just as the pharisee's did
even though in the last days were told in scripture all the lying signs and wonders satan will do.
I do not quite get how you come to the conclusion you do for a few reasons .

:thinking:
as far as feelings and all the word of God is very plain about the "sin nature" and just as Paul stated it so clearly in Romans people can be saved but still be committing some sin that they have great concern over and of their own power or will or whatever they cant stop doing it on their own and that is why ?
Jesus went to the cross , it is not by our mere will we can conquer any besetting sin , it is by having faith in what Jesus did on the cross that conquers it from the least born again to the greatest any object they place faith in outside the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross will ultimately produce utter failure .That in no way means that soul may not be saved , it just means that the Holy Spirit has no way to help that person
why ?
spiritual adultery
whats that ?
some one placing their faith in something other than the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross

you can find lack of concern even among those who sincerely believe they are saved and covered by grace Ive ran into those kind a whole lot
you can also note they do sin and as well they believe that repentance is simply a individual matter
not so. Sin is not just a individual matter meaning not just a few individuals sin
nowhere in the word of God will you find sinless perfection taught
the only SINLESS PERFECTION was Jesus Christ :(( even in the flesh while on earth
when you read about redemption and unity in lets say Ephesians chapter 2 ...read it till you read "HAVING ABOLISHED IN HIS FLESH " ..... what does that scripture say ?
It is referring to and speaking of Jesus Christ death on the cross by which HE REDEEMED Humanity
which also means he did not die spiritually as some claim , then it goes on to state The enmity ... what was the enmity ? it was the hatred between God and man caused by sin
from just that passage alone we can know several things more over our own feelings and assumptions
Family and upbringing does not necessarily cause hardening there are people who were brought up in deplorable conditions that become born again and have made it their life mission to win lost souls for Christ Jesus Greg Laurie is but one I can name off the top of my head he wrote the book Lost boy ..look how his upbringing was yet look at what his life was transformed into .
Comparisons are some of the most dangerous frameworks of society and the mentalities of it :rolleyes
when Jesus Christ spoke of the good Samaritan he made it very evident that race creed upbringing or social order had nothing to do with the heart of a person and from that account it debunks totally the assumption made .
As for people being mad at God yes it happens all the time , yet when one comes to understand that enmity was nailed to the cross they dont find just a God that is so above them that he can not come along side them , this is what Religion often does do that causes enmity to exist they create a systematic superior inferior framework which most find nothing is coming along side with them on equal footing and so yes they can easily develop a construed notion of idealism which of course is not based on God's promises .

A wise woman once said that whenever you meet an atheist, look for the trauma in their life. I really would like some thoughts on this, maybe I will start another thread.
atheist tend to not even believe in God so irregardless of what trauma they have or have not suffered
its a big stretch to assume cause and effect based on what they experienced. Paul experienced brutal whippings incarceration shipwrecked bitten by a viper even being slapped off a horse and blinded :fear
he never lost his faith due to trauma even when he lost his head (no pun intended) the man literally lost his head in the end .

well I would also think to ask you athalon7
do you (feel) that some one could accidentally commit the unforgivable sin ?
if they were like a hardened traumatized atheist ?

Elijah's Mantle

This could lead into another discussion because God has been so patient with me I find it hard to believe that its not possible for everybody to have the chance at salvation right up until the second they die. In other words there is no line that once they cross it, that's it. God has deemed them lost forever even though they are still alive.
That would make for a good discussion :(( athalon7

athalon7

Elijah's Mantle,

The reason I believe the unforgivable sin cannot be committed today is because the Pharisees attributed Jesus' miracles to Beelzebub per Matthew 12 22:32 (I put the bold highlight)

"When they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. All the people were astonished and said, “Could this be the Son of David?” But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.” Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. 2If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.“Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house. “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

Because Jesus is not in the flesh performing these miracles the sin cannot be committed today. I really believe the verse states this clearly. Now there is an unforgivable state, but this is for rejecting Jesus' sacrifice outright but is different than the unforgivable sin.

As far as atheists, they say they believe in no God but God has put His truth in everybody's heart regardless of what they say. People can reject this truth for various reasons but it's there. Not all situations and people are alike. Trauma can be phychological. Its just a for instance. I would suspect some atheists just love their sinful lifestyle too much to let themselves believe in a God of judgement but deep down the truth is there. I find it really interesting that I find a lot of atheists hanging out on Christian forums, on youtube videos with a Christian message, and even at some churches. If they are really an atheist why not just go on their way instead of wasting time on things they apparently do not believe in.

Elijah's Mantle

Because Jesus is not in the flesh performing these miracles the sin cannot be committed today. I really believe the verse states this clearly. Now there is an unforgivable state, but this is for rejecting Jesus' sacrifice outright but is different than the unforgivable sin.
:scratch:
different than

I will have to study that :(( athalon7
If some one is in a unforgivable state
due to a unforgiveable sin
what is the difference of what is committed ?

would it change the outcome somehow ?