The Trial Of Jesus

AngelWings

I'm A Work In Progress
I was reading this last night and thought I would share this. What a great teaching this lesson is.

If you'll recall, a few years ago we had wall-to-wall coverage of the O.J. Simpson fiasco. It seemed like that was the only news that occurred that year. I even heard some people — even some very well respected experts in judicial matters — calling this O.J. Simpson Trial "the trial of the century." I couldn't believe that they would say something like that. I really just had to shake my head. That's so arrogant, it occurred to me, that they would think that something that would happen right then (at that time, in the present) was more important than other things that had happened in the past.

Even in our own century, we've had some pretty world-shaking trials. What about the Nuremberg Trial? That did a great deal to formulate the laws of war in these modern times. What about the Scopes Trial, which is also called the Scopes Monkey Trial, that really allowed evolution into our public schools in a big way? What about Roe vs. Wade, which allowed — to this point — forty million babies to be aborted? (I think it's 1.1 or 1.3 million a year now.) Those trials were not as important as O.J. Simpson, a football player who was accused of killing his wife and another man? That's galling to me, to think about that — that they would think that something like that would be so important. The only reason that it was important was that it was broadcast nationally, and the rest of us got to peek into the courtroom. That's about it. It's really not affected our lives much more than that.

But that started me thinking about the great trials of history. What would you consider history's greatest trial? Some would say, "Well, maybe Galileo's trial before the Catholic Church because of his views on astronomy?" At that point, they pretty much squelched scientific advancement within the Catholic Church; but they couldn't do it. What about Joan of Arc, and her trial for heresy before the Catholic Church? That was a pretty important trial. I don't know if it was world-shaking, but [it was] a great part of history of Western civilization.

What about the Salem witch trials over here in America? Maybe not that great. What about the trial of Charles I? Many of you may not know about that, but he got his head chopped off because of his views concerning the right of kings. He wouldn't work with Parliament and all that. Our system has come down from some of the things that came out of that trial. What about the trial of Socrates? He ended up killing himself by drinking hemlock; but he was condemned to do that, as that was his sentence.

What about the trials of the apostle Paul? In the Bible, he had several; and he came through them pretty well for the most part. He was right in everything; but, eventually, things turned against him. But I think you all know what the actual most important trial of history is. This has all just been a run-up to the greatest trial there ever was. You might call it the Trial of the Millennium. I call it the Mistrial of the Millennium. That is, the trial of the Son of God, Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

I thought a review of Christ's trial would be timely and meat in due season, since we are only two and one half weeks away from the Passover, when this happened. It's good to rehearse what happened there every now and then, to see the injustice of what took place over that very short period of time. Actually, it took place over nine hours basically. That's all it took for them to condemn God to death. We are going to look at that, and look at the injustices that happened. And while we do that, I want you to take a look (I'll point them out every now and then.) at how Jesus acted and reacted throughout the whole thing. It really stands as a testament to us, and a wonderful example of what to do.

Click here for the full lesson:

http://cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Audio.details/ID/718/Trial-Jesus.htm

You can read the lesson online or download as an audio file.

I thought this would be good to share since Easter is just a few weeks away. :pray:

Back