The top 500 World biggest Supercomputers run what Operating System?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I don't believe either Windows or Mac have a release designed to run super computers. It seems Linux can be scaled up or down to run anything, which is good. Of course, of those 500 super computers running Linux as the kernal, I'd imagine that not to many of them are actually running the same developed OS.

Wally

Choose your words carefully...
Aren't there a bunch of shells, corn shell, sea shell,.....

And wasn't there East Linux vs West linux...

The Penguin is cute. Just like DonPen.

GEOINTAnalyst

I don't believe either Windows or Mac have a release designed to run super computers. It seems Linux can be scaled up or down to run anything, which is good. Of course, of those 500 super computers running Linux as the kernel, I'd imagine that not to many of them are actually running the same developed OS.
Yep Windows or Mac are not as scalable - Mac was based on BSD originally (Unix) but now has morphed into it's own entity, Mac does use a kernel, albeit a modified one. The top 3 Linux Os are 1) HPE Cray OS which is based on OpenSuse 2) RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and 3) Ubuntu Linux

Wally

We had an old Unisys A4 that used something like dgalgol. Apparently the old algol was so efficient the system would run faster.

TheRedeemed

Windows and Mac O/S don't have licenses for mission critical systems that get run on mainframes and supercomputers and are not allowed to be used for infrastructure projects such as govt, transport, health systems etc., because they're more geared to consumer products and non critical software projects.

Govt, medical, military, airlines, and train companies generally have to write their own un-crashable operating systems so that folks don't die because they fail. By this I mean the aeroplanes, trains and medical life support systems themselves and not the general day-to-day office type software for managing the staff, passengers, patients etc.

Not surprised at all to find no Mac or Windows on any of these computers.

Wally

No, but neighbors have kuneknue pigs.

I almost went ham before cell hones. Heathkit would have been my choice.

Carl

The process computer where worked was a Burrows computer that ran on Unix. Had very little trouble with it.It did send information to a computer downtown.
Later we purchased a mainframe computer and installed work stations for most of office workers. The mainframe used Unix and all the work stations used NT. The workstations became infected from the internet. The main frame did nothing with the viruses. Not the right language.