The Tabernacle, The Tent of Meeting, The First Temple, The Second Temple, The Third Temple, and The Fourth Temple!

Fig Tree

“””Tent of Meeting””” (This was NOT a temple, and I am NOT counting this as one)
The very “First” physical enclosure that was used for communion with Almighty God was a tent that Moses put up outside of the camp of the Israelites in the desert – it was called the “Tent of Meeting.” If any person had a question of importance for the Lord, they would go to the tent of meeting. When Moses would walk toward the tent, all the people got up stood at the entrances of their tents. They watched Moses until he entered the Tent of Meeting. When Moses had entered the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance while the Lord spoke with Moses. When the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to their own tent. The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his assistant Joshua, son of Nun, did not leave the tent. (Exodus 33).

“””The Tabernacle””” (This also was NOT a temple, and I am NOT counting this as one)
Almighty God Himself directed Moses to build a sanctuary (was inside of the Tabernacle) for Him, that He would dwell among them. He directed Moses to build His Tabernacle and that every item in it was to be made exactly as Father God instructed (Exodus 25). The Tabernacle was sanctioned by Almighty God Himself! Jewish records of antiquities indicate that the Tabernacle (transportable tent) was constructed one year after the people crossed the Red Sea. It remained with them until the building of the First Temple (described in 1 Kings). Three times each year every man in Israel must appear before the Sovereign, the Lord, the God of Israel (Exodus 34). Almighty God Himself told Moses that He had chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills. Father God also appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. There were many others who received blessings of special skills to build the tabernacle (Exodus 31).

“””The First Temple”””
A prophet named Gad communicated a message from the Lord to David. He told David, “Go up and build an altar to the Lord on the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.” David went to Araunah and paid 50 silver shekels (weight of 1.25 pounds) for the threshing floor and the oxen (2 Samuel 24:24); Chronicles states that David paid 600 gold shekels (weight of 15 pounds) for the entire site where the threshing floor was located (1 Chronicles 21:25). The entire site today is called: The Temple Mount – Judaism's holiest site. See also, 1 Kings 6 and 2 Chronicles 3. Jewish tradition holds that the Temple Mount (where the first and second temples were built) is where God created Adam, the first man. Additionally, Mt. Moriah, now known as the Temple Mount, was the place Abraham took Isaac to be sacrificed.

A little about King Solomon…

1. He was the third king of Israel (reigned from 970 until his death in 930 B.C.).
2. Nathan the prophet gave Solomon an additional name shortly after his birth, he named him Jedidiah, which means: “beloved of Yahweh.” Nathan received that name from Almighty God.
3. He expanded the boundaries of Israel to the furthest distances in its history.
4. During his reign, Israel had peace and prosperity like they never had prior to that time.
5. He asked Almighty God for understanding and discernment so he could properly rule the people. Father God was pleased and granted him those attributes, along with great riches and honor.
6. He wrote over three-thousand proverbs and one-thousand songs.
7. He had 700 wives and 300 concubines.
8. In his older age, his wives turned his heart to other gods, and he was no longer fully devoted to Almighty God the Father.
9. His turning away from Almighty God was what caused the kingdom to split – as Father God said would happen. They were divided and became known independently as Israel and Judah, continually battling each other through the years.
10. He received complete and detailed plans for the building of the First Temple from his father David. David said, "I have in writing from the hand of the Lord upon me, and he gave me understanding in all the details of the plan."
11. After being such a wise man who honored Almighty God and trusted all to the Lord, he later turned away, and at the end of his life was a disappointment.
12. Solomon (name means: Peace) began construction of the First Temple in Jerusalem on Mount Moriah – it took seven years to complete.

King David rose to his feet and said: "Listen to me, my brothers and my people. I had it in my heart to build a house as a place of rest for the ark of the covenant of the Lord, for the footstool of our God, and I made plans to build it. But God said to me, `You are not to build a house for my Name, because you are a warrior and have shed blood.' He said to me: `Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father. I will establish his kingdom forever if he is unswerving in carrying out my commands and laws, as is being done at this time.' This is what the Lord says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling. It was in midspring, in the month of Ziv (April-May), during the fourth year of Solomon’s reign, that he began to construct the Temple of the Lord. This was 480 years after the people of Israel were rescued from their slavery in the land of Egypt. The Temple was a magnificent structure, along with amazing gold fixtures and embellishments. It stood for nearly 400 years. It was destroyed in the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month, which is the nineteenth year of king Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, came Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, a servant of the king of Babylon, unto Jerusalem: And he burnt the house of the Lord, and the king's house (king Zedekiah), and all the houses of Jerusalem, and every great man's house burnt he with fire. Nebuchadrezzar removed the Temple treasures in 604 B.C., totally destroyed the Temple in 587/586 in the month of Av (July–August), and exiled the Israelites to Babylon.

You can read specific details regarding the building and furnishing of the First Temple in 1 Kings; 2 Kings; 1 Chronicles; 2 Chronicles; 2 Samuel, and other books of the Holy Bible.

“””The Second Temple”””

The 9th of Av (July–August) is a significant date in Israel. If you recall from your Bible reading, spies were sent to explore the Land of Israel. When they came back to the people waiting for their report, they said the following: “The land, through which we have gone to spy it out, is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people that we saw in it are of great height.” (Numbers 13:31-33). The report they gave was a lie, it was made up, and is considered to be one of the worst sins of the Israelites – according to Jewish tradition. Additionally, the 9th of Av is the same date both the First and Second Temples in Jerusalem were destroyed – and is considered a National Day of Mourning, in which Jews all around the globe fast.

The Second Temple was the Jewish place of sacrificial worship from around 515 B.C. until its destruction. It was built on the Temple Mount, the very same location where the First Temple existed. In 538 B.C., Cyrus (King of Persia and Media), defeated the Babylonians and announced that the temple of the Jews in Jerusalem was to be rebuilt, and that the Jews were free to return to Judea. The prophets Haggai and Zechariah encouraged and supported Zerubbabel to construct the Second Temple in 521 B.C. The temple, the temple area, temple building itself, and outer courtyard surrounding the compound were “refurbished and enlarged” by Herod the Great. NOTE: Herod the Great “did not” build the Second Temple, nor did he build a third temple. He was simply credited with “refurbishing and enlarging” specific areas, as mentioned above. The Holy Bible validates this fact: Then the word of the Lord came to me: “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; his hands will also complete it (Zechariah 4:8-9). The Great Revolt of the Jews against Rome led to the Romans destroying the city – and Second Temple in 70 C.E. When the Romans destroyed Judaea and Jerusalem in A.D. 70, Josephus said that more than 1,100,000 Jews perished, and 100,000 were taken captive. Christ Jesus worshipped and taught – many times – in the temple. He knew all about the corruption that existed in the monetary affairs of temple maintenance and the corrupt purchases of animals for sacrifices. I’m sure you recall His overturning of the money changers tables (Mark 11:15). Christ Jesus clearly told His disciples about the future destruction of the second temple (Mark 13:1-2).

“””The Third Temple”””

Christians must know that this temple will be built just prior to, or during the beginning stages of the Tribulation Period…

In order to understand the desire of the Jews to build a third temple, you must understand what they profoundly believe – per the teachings they have received. The following contains the basic premise of/for their motivation. “They believe that a Mashiach (Messiah) has not yet arrived, but they anticipate his coming. They believe in a Messianic Redemption which is one of the central values of their Jewish faith. Jews believe that the Mashiach (Messiah) will arise and restore the Kingdom of David to its original state and sovereignty, that Jews from around the globe will return to the promised land (regathering of dispersed Israel) which is called “Aliyah.” Finally, the rebuilding of the Temple (Hebrew: Beit Hamikdash – “Beit” meaning house, “HaMikdash” meaning holy), together the meaning is, “The Holy House,” and only the Temple in Jerusalem is referred to by this name in rabbinic literature.” Devout Jews foresee the Third Temple as being a central building that will welcome “all” nationalities, religions, and beliefs to bring peace and harmony throughout the nations.

Some state that there will absolutely be no Third Temple because Christ Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice, therefore, there is no need for a future temple, priest, or sacrificial system. The fact is, Jewish people do not believe in Christ Jesus, and do not believe in the ultimate and eternal sacrifice that Christ made for all mankind. This is why sacrifices will resume in a Third Temple.

The Antichrist will warmly encourage and welcome a Third Temple for the Jews to worship in, and to perform sacrifices. He will relish the blasphemy of Old Testament worship and sacrifice – knowing that Almighty God will be angry that His Son, Christ Jesus’ ultimate sacrifice on the cross was rejected by the Jewish people. He (Satan) will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him (Daniel 9:27). There are four scriptures that specifically acknowledge the existence of a temple during the Tribulation: Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15, 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4, and Revelation 11:1-2.

For those that absolutely refuse to believe there will be a Third Temple because they were taught various elucidations from lacking leaders, I provide the following…

1. The Holy Bible does not say anywhere that Christ Jesus returned in any shape, form, or fashion in 70 A.D. Every early Church leader who wrote about the Tribulation, the Rapture, and the Second Coming made it perfectly clear that they were writing about things to be fulfilled in the future. They also agreed
that the Antichrist would rise to power in the future.
2. Nero, who many say was the Antichrist, was never in Jerusalem, and he never sat in the temple of Almighty God declaring himself to be God.
3. Nero reigned for 14 years (54-68 A.D.). The Holy Bible says the Antichrist will reign for 42 months (3½ years).
4. Nero died on June 9, 68 A.D., after cutting his throat. He cannot possibly be the Beast (the Antichrist), because that enemy of God will be slain (Daniel 7.11), and then be resurrected.
5. There was no period of world-wide “peace and safety” (1 Thessalonians 5.3) before the alleged start of the Tribulation in 66 A.D.
6. There was no world church that ruled over the Antichrist (Revelation 17.3).
7. There was no mark of any kind that people had to take to be able to buy or sell.
8. All the nations of the world were not gathered against Jerusalem in 70 A.D.
9. Nation did not rise against nation and kingdom did not rise against kingdom in 70 A.D. (Matthew 24.7). There was only a minor revolt in the Roman Empire from 66 to 70 AD by a few thousand Jewish zealots.
10. There is no historical record of an event that could be a biblical fulfillment of the “abomination of desolation”.
11. John was instructed to write about things to come (Revelation 1:1). By 95 A.D., it was well-known that the second temple was destroyed. John was describing a future third temple. He was specifically writing down information about the Tribulation period.

Unlike the first and second temples, this third temple will not be sanctioned by Almighty God.

“””The Forth – and Final Temple”””

There is a great deal written in scriptures regarding the Millennial Temple. The references below are for you, if you care to read and study them. The final temple will be magnificent to behold!

Ezekiel 48:35; Isaiah 33:5; Jeremiah 31:40; Psalm 2:6; Psalm 110:2; Isaiah 2:2-4; Isaiah 24:23; Micah 4:7; Zechariah 14:9-10; Isaiah 2:2; Isaiah 60:11; Isaiah 66:12; Isaiah 40:2; Isaiah 66:20; Jeremiah 31:6; Isaiah 60:3; Jeremiah 3:17; and Zechariah 8:23.

Back