The Story

Patiently...

I just read our church newsletter and I'm at a loss at what to think.

From the newsletter:
Join us for a journey through The Story
beginning January 5, 2014
The Story is a book of selections from the Bible, arranged
chronologically, that reads like a novel. During this unique
31-week experience, we are encouraging every family to
purchase their own copy of the book and to read the
weekly selection. Our Sunday School lesson and our
morning message will coincide with the week’s reading.
To make things simple, we will have the books available at
the Church for $10 each.
Come discover together with us how our story is found in
God’s story!
The pastor says this is moving across the country and how wonderful............ they left out the begats and all that stuff that are boring to read.
I don't know anything about this book, but I don't like the sounds of it for some reason.
I have a chronological bible ~ begats and all. I do like it because was nice to read everything in order. But, I don't know... it just doesn't feel right.
Anyone have any knowledge about this?

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I think you are right to be hesitant.

**********: Customer Reviews: The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People

The most helpful favorable review on Amazon gave the book 4 stars and the most helpful critical review gave it 3. There is discussion of the reviewer comments on that site.

Maybe someone here will have read and/or studied it. I have not.

Ken B

A guy at work gave me a copy... It has occupied space on the back seat of my truck, probably been stood on by my 5 yr old LOL! If you want it let me know, i will mail it to you!:lol:

It is by Max Lucado who used to be solid but just not sure anymore... I trust fewer big names each day.

So I just blabbed on but not much help, sorry.

PS: If you really do want it I will have to make sure its still there...

Patiently...

:lol: Thanks for the offer Ken, but your son may need something to stand on again.
A long time ago I really liked Max Lucado.............
It just sounds to me like an abridged Bible in chronological order.
I like the whole thing. :nod

Kem

Citizen
I really do not like the idea of abridging the Bible in any way. If the Holy Spirit wanted to say less than He did then He would have said less than He did. To me it is a violation of Revelation 22:19
"and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."

While some say it refers only to the book of Revelation, it more likely refers to the whole Word of God. There are also these verses;
All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, [2Ti 3:16 NKJV]
that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. [2Ti 3:17 NKJV]

I would say that all means all.

ReadyforSupper

Sis, it sort of made me sick too. Any time you have that feeling, trust it. When we're presented with watered down Gospel, we feel ill in our spirits. I too, like the "whole thing". If they want the "thees and thous" taken out, then they can read the NASB!

Better yet, hand em a copy of Egermeyers Bible Story Book!

It's amazing the lengths "Christians" will go to to keep from actually reading the Word! Here's the problem with that "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

How will they ever form that rock solid faith that gets us through the most horrendous situations without knowing the truth? :((

Lujack Skylark

I just read our church newsletter and I'm at a loss at what to think.

From the newsletter:

The pastor says this is moving across the country and how wonderful............ they left out the begats and all that stuff that are boring to read.
I don't know anything about this book, but I don't like the sounds of it for some reason.
I have a chronological bible ~ begats and all. I do like it because was nice to read everything in order. But, I don't know... it just doesn't feel right.
Anyone have any knowledge about this?

Is this called "Simply the Story" by D.A. Miller? The Bible is recorded on video players and those players are being taken to the remote parts of our world in over 300 languages to witness to people. There are workshops throughout the United States being set up to help people present the Bible like in the fashion the apostles first did. I saw D.A. Miller in St. Louis this September. The groups of people at these workshops are strongly Bible literalist word for word the story is told in their presentations about the Bible. Several people in the group risk their lives in Moslem nations to lead other people to Jesus Christ. Is this the organization you are refering to?

D.A. Miller was connected to Jeremiah Films in the 1990's and this company produced a series of videos with Hal Lindsey, Chuck Missler and other Bible scholars. Jeremiah Films exposed false cults in the videos. D.A. Miller was working at Jeremiah Films when I bought a copy from Jeremiah Films in the 1990's on the Gog/Magog prophecy narrated by Hal Lindsey. I sent the video to a Jehovah Witness who did not believe Israel was in Bible prophecy but now he asks questions about Israel all the time.

What have people to your knowledge have been saying about these work shops?

People in various nations want the Bible translated in their own language and the Bible is being translated from the Kings James version as ministers from around the world are using these video players and the presentations to lead people to Jesus Christ in these last days before the rapture.

This is what I know about the work shops if we are talking about the same organization.

Last edited:

Lujack Skylark

I think you are right to be hesitant.

**********: Customer Reviews: The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People

The most helpful favorable review on Amazon gave the book 4 stars and the most helpful critical review gave it 3. There is discussion of the reviewer comments on that site.

Maybe someone here will have read and/or studied it. I have not.

IF one is talking about "God's Story" its an account in pictures in video starting from the Book of Genesis to Revelation translated into 300+ languages worldwide by D.A. Miller who uses the King James version of the Bible.

If one is talking about "Simply the Story" ministers throughout the world are seeking to be part of this project. The Bible is presented in the way the apostles would present God's word to people. Video players are sent to pastors throughout the world with videos in their native language to reach people in remote areas of our world. Pastors preach to people about Jesus like the apostles spoke to the people in the times Jesus lived. American missionairies are wanting copies of this work. The people flock to hear the message and people are coming to Jesus Christ. Some people even risks their lives in Moslem nations to get these videos out to the lost.

I imagine we are talking about the same group of people. I first met D.A. Miller when D.A. Miller was working at Jeremiah Films and she went to nursing homes in California on Sunday's to witness to the elderly whom in many cases had no family. I bought my first Bible Prophecy video on the Gog/Magog War narrated by Hal Lindsey in the 1990's from Jeremiah Films which also produced videos which exposed the various cults arising in America.

I hope this imformation helps!

Lujack Skylark

A guy at work gave me a copy... It has occupied space on the back seat of my truck, probably been stood on by my 5 yr old LOL! If you want it let me know, i will mail it to you!:lol:

It is by Max Lucado who used to be solid but just not sure anymore... I trust fewer big names each day.

So I just blabbed on but not much help, sorry.

PS: If you really do want it I will have to make sure its still there...

Ken, you mentioned Max Lucado. The person I know who wrote "God's Story" and "Simply the Story" was D.A. Miller. We must be talking about two different writers. Thanks for mentioning Max Lucado. I was thinking about D.A. Miller's work by this title "The Story" on this post. I just want to keep the story straight!

maryrae

Sis, it sort of made me sick too. Any time you have that feeling, trust it. When we're presented with watered down Gospel, we feel ill in our spirits. I too, like the "whole thing". If they want the "thees and thous" taken out, then they can read the NASB!

Better yet, hand em a copy of Egermeyers Bible Story Book!

It's amazing the lengths "Christians" will go to to keep from actually reading the Word! Here's the problem with that "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:17

How will they ever form that rock solid faith that gets us through the most horrendous situations without knowing the truth? :((

I LOVED that Bible Story book as a kid, when my parents read it to us!!!!!:yeah:

Lujack Skylark

I LOVED that Bible Story book as a kid, when my parents read it to us!!!!!:yeah:

My neighbor gave me a Bible with illustrations as a child and that is how I got saved. Many people in the third world are illiterate and they need illustrations to get saved. I thought D.A. Miller's presentation in St. Louis this September work shop was real helpful in missionary work working with illiterate people yearning for god who wanted to be saved in third world nations. Its just my opinion. I saw D.A. Miller one Sunday around 20 years ago preaching to the lost elderly in a nursing home and then singing to them about the love of Jesus getting many elderly saved before they went to be with the Lord. I didn't see anything wrong with that.

Am I wrong to believe these illustrated stories read to illiterate people are not bringing them to Jesus Christ? What is everyone's opinion on this? The illiterate people come back to their preachers wanting more stories about Abraham, Joseph and Jesus. The people feel Jesus in the parables he preached and they give their lives to Jesus Christ and many pronounce their faith when their lives could be easily snuffed out by the Moslems population or Hindu populations in their lands.

Last edited:

ReadyforSupper

Believe it or not, I have it here. My poor hubby has mirror image dyslexia and a retention problem. So, God worked it out for us. Eddie can relate the book of Genesis, accurately, up to the point where Noah builds the altar. He's been 3 years just getting that down.

Our church goes over the entire Bible, from Genesis, every year. This year they started in Genesis about 3 weeks before we started going there. Guess where the church was when we started going to sunday school? Yep, Noah building the altar!!!

So, what I've done is: When I know we're coming up on the next story in the Bible, I take the Egermeyers and read it to him, so when we take it verse by verse, he'll have already understood the story and now will get the details! It's working!! :yeah:

ReadyforSupper

My neighbor gave me a Bible with illustrations as a child and that is how I got saved. Many people in the third world are illiterate and they need illustrations to get saved. I thought D.A. Miller's presentation in St. Louis this September work shop was real helpful in missionary work working with illiterate people yearning for god who wanted to be saved in third world nations. Its just my opinion. I saw D.A. Miller one Sunday around 20 years ago preaching to the lost elderly in a nursing home and then signing to them about the love of Jesus getting many elderly saved before they went to be with the Lord. I didn't see anything wrong with that.

Am I wrong to believe these illustrated stories read to illiterate people are not bringing them to Jesus Christ? What is everyone's opinion on this? The illiterate people come back to their preachers wanting more stories about Abraham, Joseph and Jesus. The people feel Jesus in the parables he preached and they give their lives to Jesus Christ and many pronounce their faith when their lives could be easily snuffed out by the Moslems population or Hindu populations in their lands.

There is nothing wrong with illustrated books to teach the unsaved! As a matter of fact (will look for the citation, but I'm sure one of us has it on hand) Illustrated Bibles were all that were used when the "beginning of the end" of the dark ages was happening! Reading was illegal, lest someone actually understand the Word and rebel against Rome. Illustrated Bibles were what they had and were perfect. I believe that the Spirit guides us all and even more so when we can't read. I see it all the time in my husband. He actually quotes scripture and doesn't know it's scripture! He's always shocked when i show him.

Patiently...

Is this called "Simply the Story" by D.A. Miller?

No, it is called "The Story" by Maz Lucado and Randy Frazee.
The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People: Zondervan: 9780310950974: **********: Books
'THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD' IS MORE THAN JUST A CLICHe. God goes to great lengths to rescue lost and hurting people. That is what The Story is all about: the story of the Bible, God's great love affair with humanity. Condensed into 31 accessible chapters, The Story sweeps you into the unfolding progression of Bible characters and events from Genesis to Revelation. Using the clear, accessible text of the NIV Bible, it allows the stories, poems, and teachings of the Bible to read like a novel. And like any good story, The Story is filled with intrigue, drama, conflict, romance, and redemption; and this story's true!

As Samuel said for those who have never read the Bible perhaps it could be a good thing.
What we are going to do is everyone is supposed to read a chapter then the sermon each Sunday will be on what we read.

I think my reservations are the same as Kem ~

Kem
Re: The Story
I really do not like the idea of abridging the Bible in any way. If the Holy Spirit wanted to say less than He did then He would have said less than He did. To me it is a violation of Revelation 22:19
"and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."

While some say it refers only to the book of Revelation, it more likely refers to the whole Word of God. There are also these verses;
All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, [2Ti 3:16 NKJV]
that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. [2Ti 3:17 NKJV]

I would say that all means all.

readytogo

It is not my intention to high-jack this thread, but by way of explanation, I attended a church a few years ago that went "purpose driven" because my pastor considered Rick Warren to be his mentor. The purpose driven books were a way to unite the church under one teaching and a way to "grow" the church. The church grew, but gradually was preaching a "different gospel". One of the reasons that I moved to this state was to get away from that church.

Since moving here, I have been declared "disabled" and I totaled my car and can't replace it. I finally found a Bible-centered church that sends a bus for me to attend Sunday services and Sunday school. I have a few friends there as well. Imagine my consternation when I found out that they would be doing "The Story"! I was still reeling from the "purpose driven" stuff. I missed the first few weeks of "The Story" due to my hesitation. I didn't have to worry very much. We did as you said Patiently.... We would read a chapter of The Story, we would discuss it in Sunday School, the pastor would preach on it, and then we would listen to a DVD in our "life group" by Randy Frazee on that chapter. The Story was not intended to replace the Bible. It was more written for people who had never read the Bible, or as a supplement that was easier to understand. Each week, the pastor would point out the books or chapters of the Bible where the same stories could be read. He also pointed out where Old Testament stories pointed to Jesus in the "upper story". There was never a hint of replacement theology and it was true to the real gospel. From the little kids to the seniors, we were all studying the same stories. I think that the "success" or "failure" of The Story lies in the pastor of your church. My pastor always tied the chapters in with the gospel, and did an invitation at the end. The only chapter that really disappointed me, was the chapter on Revelation. But that is again because of my pastor who is a preterist and doesn't teach or even believe in Bible prophecy of the end-times. I disagree with the pastor on end-times, but otherwise, I'm happy with his teaching.

Again, The Story isn't to replace the Bible that you already have. It should be used as a supplement to sound Bible teaching. What you get out of The Story depends on your pastor. Do you trust him? The true gospel is found in The Story.

Patiently...

Thank you readytogo.
That is exactly what happened at my church. The previous Pastor did the purpose driven thing. He is gone and we've had this new one for about three years and he suggested this. My reaction may have been because of that.

OnceWasLost

Super Moderator
The whole story in 31 weeks? I looked at the chapter outlines and there is a whole bunch of "the story" that will to be missing since there is not enough room. This is like looking at earth from a satellite and never seeing any real definition or detail.

Do people really have such a short attention span? Never mind we already know the answer or a book like this, despite the good intentions of the author, would not have a market, nor would churches use it to entertain the masses on Sunday.

Come on pastors, teach the whole Word and put away the gimmicks, stop being lazy.