The Sojourner's Tale:

I was born into a family that was Catholic; when I was around 9 years old though, my folks and I were shopping at K-Mart, and I found a tract in the men's room that explained the gospel and a bit about Christianity. After that, my dad kept finding and bringing home more tract ( which my mom would throw away until they became too many and she finally gave up!). After reading the tracts for some months, I "repented" but it was shallow; I only wanted to avoid hell. It wouldn’t be until much later that I would truly repent. Because I was a kid from the "projects", that was pretty much a social death sentence' at school and the kids made sure I never forgot it. But if school was torture, then home was a living nightmare: my brother was a 350+ pound monster (I was only 220 at the time of our last fight), who would get into fights with me, then blame me for it. I went to the police once after being beaten by my brother, and was called “a liar”. So, going to anyone was pretty much useless, and “escaping” from them was pointless as well. As many times as I tried to run from home or later move out, my mom’s side of the family would hunt me down and threaten me with physical harm, while lying to the police and then punishing me for seeking help from them or anyone else. My father did what he could to protect me, but he didn't want to abandon my mom. It was him vs. my mom's side of the family, and even being a war vet could only prepare him so much for how brutal they could be on average.

Sadly, in all of this, I didn't rely upon the Lord, and only knowing the scripture verses from the tracts and not the whole bible, I had no firm ground to stand on. I became dark and brooding, and began wearing black and scowling at people. I may have "claimed" to be a Christian", but I'm convinced that I was about as saved as a turnip, and about as half as appealing. I looked evil, and acted like it as well. It took the Lord several years to reach me, and eventually He did.

But it took an awful lot…

On May 15th, 2007, my mom was in ICU with a severe lung infection. After she slipped into a coma, the doctors came to us with grave news: they had done an MRI on my mom, and found what they believed were nodules of cancer throughout her lungs. To make matters worse, my brother made matters worse by making threats against the hospital if they didn't save her life. A family friend of ours who had connections to law enforcement was forced to turn my brother in to the police, who then arrested my brother and searched his room at our house, where they found weapons and explosives. Whatever strength of my own I had at this point finally gave out; with the situation we were facing with my brother and all, it was more than I could take. I had no ability to deal with this, and finally saw myself as I was; small and weak. My world was over, and everything that meant anything was in ruins. I didn't fully realize then what I do now, but I knew I needed Christ, and just surrendered to him.

The doctors meantime performed the biopsy on mom’s lungs that we requested: they found that the "cancer" in her lungs was actually INHALED FOOD!!! The nursing home had fed her too fast, and being that my mom has COPD, the food went into her lungs. When they did the MRI, it showed up as organic lumps. After removing the inhaled food, my mom began to improve rapidly. She didn't regain consciousness right away, but to our relief, when she did; there was no brain damage that we knew of from oxygen deprivation. But while my mom was recovering (in a medically- induced coma to let her heal), my older brother ended up going to prison for his threats. My dad and I moved to a city near where I grew up and moved my mom to a nearby home until we could bring her home. I continued to learn more of the Lord, His incredible love, and the scriptures in a depth I never thought possible. When my mom was well enough, we broke the news to her about her eldest son. She wasn’t happy, but it was what it was.

But the worst was to come...

In late 2010, my brother was arrested again, this time for almost killing his then 4-month old daughter (I had warned the state and the authorities prior to this about his violent tendencies, but they didn’t listen). When my mom heard the news on TV, she suffered a series of heart attacks (one caused brain death due to oxygen deprivation, the last one killed her). My dad followed 5 months later of a broken heart. My mom was 64; my dad was 84. I ended up leaving and moving far from home in an odyssey that lasted 9 long years. My parents have been dead for 9 years now, and my brother was released from prison over a year ago; to that end, I have been advised by both legal counsel and my pastor not to have anything to do with my brother for my own physical safety (I have received death threats from him).

I suffer the lingering (and lifelong) effects the beating in 2007 inflicted upon me: traumatic brain injury (occipital and parietal regions of skull controlling movement and perception, along with seizures compounded by Tourette’s Syndrome from birth), spinal damage, nerve damage to the left side of my body, further nerve damage to my already-injured left leg, vision impairment (peripheral and depth-perception), extensive amounts of scar tissue in my back and chest from tendon and ligament damage, repeated blunt-force trauma resulting in increased ossification/ thickening of parts of my skull, permanent damage to the balance centers (semi-circular canals); early onset arthritis throughout my body and Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (compelte with flashbacks and emotional instability). I also gained a "considerable" amount of weight that has been nearly impossible to shed over the 13 years since that attack.

The worst part of telling my story it is when folks ask me “Why didn’t you/ don’t you (insert idea or comment here)?” without considering that I already tried what they suggested. I have tried: disability (turned down twice through TWO lengthy processes and was deliberately delayed out until I no longer had “qualifying quarters” in an effort to keep people off SSD), employment agencies, doctors, tried schooling twice, tried calling social services (whom provided enough stress to cause several seizures and at least one medical emergency), tried "disability services" like Goodwill and Easter Seals ( "I'm sorry sir, we only serve the mentally disabled"), and tried dealing with the courts/ law enforcement concerning my brother (“I’m sorry sir, but until he commits a crime, there is nothing we can do. It’s your word versus his”.)

That said: where I am now in life is just doing whatever I can to survive with what I have left: my wife and my two cats. She, like me, is disabled as well (in different ways), and we keep each other company. Most of my friends are gone, and the few left want nothing to do with me (outside of people I meet here).

Basically, just waiting for the Rapture to come and doing what little I can for the Lord with the time that is left.

-Sojo414

*NOTE: Anyone seeking to pray for my brother
: please do not. He is evil beyond all measure, and publically swore "to hunt me down and sacrifice me to Satan”. He is deeply into the occult, and has made it clear repeatedly that he has permanently rejected Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Wow, Sojourner414, that is a really tough situation to have come through. I'm so sorry you had to endure all of that and still dealing with the effects of it today. I'm glad you that you are saved and that your eternal life is secure in Christ. I am also glad that you are here at R.F.

I will certainly be praying for the safety of you and your wife and for God's continued help for you.

You know, I have noticed that you seem to be gifted in writing, it's something I've noticed here at R.F. I wonder if that's something that could be utilized in your life somehow.

May God bless you!

:pray

Wow, Sojourner414, that is a really tough situation to have come through. I'm so sorry you had to endure all of that and still dealing with the effects of it today. I'm glad you that you are saved and that your eternal life is secure in Christ. I am also glad that you are here at R.F.

I will certainly be praying for the safety of you and your wife and for God's continued help for you.

You know, I have noticed that you seem to be gifted in writing, it's something I've noticed here at R.F. I wonder if that's something that could be utilized in your life somehow.

May God bless you!

:pray
If my writing is in any way gifted, that's the Lord. Historically in my life, I've never been much good at it. I am training for IT (desktop support), where hopefully I can use my mind (or what's left of it) for work.

Last edited:

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
First of all, thank you for the privilege of reading your testimony.

Second....look back on this https://www.raptureforums.com/forum...stribute-vaccine.160859/page-9#post-843054625 thread, and read my exchange with you. When you came into the thread, and mentioned the military, I was distracted with cooking dinner and running from the stove to my ipad. BorrowedTime had said something about being on his wrong course, and then you posted your post. I replied to you that I was glad you didn't end up in prison, and that God had changed the course of your life. I didn't realize until later, when you clarified that you aren't a veteran, that I thought I was replying to BorrowedTime! In my distraction, I thought you and he were the same person. At the time, I was embarrassed....but now I see that what I had said to you was indeed *for you.* When I was a lurker, if I had read anything about your past history, I did not remember it.

In light of that, I'm going to say what is on my heart for you right now.

I hope that every single day, you have a sense of how you were plucked out of darkness into marvelous Light. And I hope that gives you joy.

I hope that you see and tangibly feel and know that the joy of the Lord is your strength.

And I hope that, every day, you see something that reminds you that His strength is made perfect in your weakness.

I hope you keep looking forward....eyes forward, face like a flint.

I hope you keep running your race. And when you can't run...march.
And in those times when you can no longer take a step, and have done all you can do, I hope that you stand.

Stand in the knowledge of who He is, and who you are in Him.

Don't give up.

God has eternal purposes for all that you have been through.

And everything I've just said to you, I have also said to myself.

With Love,

Another Broken One.

First of all, thank you for the privilege of reading your testimony.

Second....look back on this https://www.raptureforums.com/forum...stribute-vaccine.160859/page-9#post-843054625 thread, and read my exchange with you. When you came into the thread, and mentioned the military, I was distracted with cooking dinner and running from the stove to my ipad. BorrowedTime had said something about being on his wrong course, and then you posted your post. I replied to you that I was glad you didn't end up in prison, and that God had changed the course of your life. I didn't realize until later, when you clarified that you aren't a veteran, that I thought I was replying to BorrowedTime! In my distraction, I thought you and he were the same person. At the time, I was embarrassed....but now I see that what I had said to you was indeed *for you.* When I was a lurker, if I had read anything about your past history, I did not remember it.

In light of that, I'm going to say what is on my heart for you right now.

I hope that every single day, you have a sense of how you were plucked out of darkness into marvelous Light. And I hope that gives you joy.

I hope that you see and tangibly feel and know that the joy of the Lord is your strength.

And I hope that, every day, you see something that reminds you that His strength is made perfect in your weakness.

I hope you keep looking forward....eyes forward, face like a flint.

I hope you keep running your race. And when you can't run...march.
And in those times when you can no longer take a step, and have done all you can do, I hope that you stand.

Stand in the knowledge of who He is, and who you are in Him.

Don't give up.

God has eternal purposes for all that you have been through.

And everything I've just said to you, I have also said to myself.

With Love,

Another Broken One.
Thank you, I do what I can; the rest He has to do, because I'm too worn out and busted-up to even try.

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
Thank you so much for sharing your story! I, too, will keep praying for you, your wife, and continued peace. I've noticed as well your incredible writing ability and your artwork! It is such a gift from God. You've been able to write out things in scripture that never totally clicked for me, so I know God has blessed you with insight. For what you have gone through, I cannot even imagine, my heart is with you in this, and I will rejoice with you when we are all in heaven away from this word and the heartbreak. I wish I had better words, but I'm glad you're on here, and that God rescued you, and that you are such a kind and loving brother to all of us here. There is a saying that those who have known suffering have the deepest love for others.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I, too, will keep praying for you, your wife, and continued peace. I've noticed as well your incredible writing ability and your artwork! It is such a gift from God. You've been able to write out things in scripture that never totally clicked for me, so I know God has blessed you with insight. For what you have gone through, I cannot even imagine, my heart is with you in this, and I will rejoice with you when we are all in heaven away from this word and the heartbreak. I wish I had better words, but I'm glad you're on here, and that God rescued you, and that you are such a kind and loving brother to all of us here. There is a saying that those who have known suffering have the deepest love for others.
:hug :hug :hug thank you Mellie; I appreciate the prayers, especially for my wife. All I do is try to take the things I have learned in the Lord and put them down for folks; I think He helps me most of the time, as I never considered myself much gifted at writing.

As for "kind and loving": er... when I first get up in the morning, folks may ahve a different take on that! :rofl

Last edited: