The Silence of the Shepherds

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The Silence of the Shepherds
By Jan Markell

It is true — the headlines, photos, and videos coming out of the current Mideast conflict are not seeker-sensitive. They won’t make church attendees feel good. Talking about the sensitive situation won’t fit into any church-growth strategy. It won’t encourage anyone to become purpose-driven. It could even create divisiveness.

So, I should not have been so thrown when I began to get e-mails from across the country stating variations of the following:

Jan, I was very dismayed that the church we attended did not even make mention of what was going on in Israel on Sunday, October 8. Nor did the topic arise on Wednesday night — though there were several mentions of the Houston Astros game…

No One Can Say They Didn’t Know​

Has there not been wall-to-wall coverage on all media outlets, day and night, for days? Can anybody claim they didn’t know? There were demonstrations demanding that we should “gas the Jews.” The scenario could expand to a Mideast war. Some are saying World War III is at hand. We have evil at a new level on display.

And yet the silence of some shepherds is deafening!

Evangelical Foolishness​

I checked the website of the largest evangelical organization — the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE). Wouldn’t they have a banner headline calling on us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem? Actually, their banner was all about racial justice.

Scrolling down, they have a blurb in an article written that Israel should not act out of revenge and that they should support the dignity of all people affected. Note to the NAE: Terrorists have no dignity. They are evil. They are demonized.

Know What You Believe!​

Are pastors, churches, and denominations silent because of their theology? Perhaps it doesn’t fit with the current scenario? Perhaps they believe the church is the new Israel (Replacement Theology). Perhaps they are Amillennial, and Israel is a bit inconvenient. This belief encompasses many Protestants and all Catholics.

Outfits like Bethel Church in Redding, CA, believe in Dominionism — that is, that the church will save the world and then they establish the thousand-year reign of Christ on earth. The literal restoration of Jerusalem is not important. The church supersedes the calling of Israel to be a light to the nations!

Silence in the Face of Evil is Evil!​

But there is still human disaster and suffering at play here! Bonhoeffer said, “silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” How can you be silent?

If every church in North America were to meet for special prayer, could an unspeakable disaster be averted?

Can we set aside theology and pray — from the pulpit — for the salvation of the Jews and Muslims? Don’t these esteemed church leaders know that is the only path to true peace? Many Jews and Muslims are secular and, thus, are open to the gospel.

You’re Grafted In!​

May I remind all pastors and evangelical leaders that because of the Jews, we have our Bible, the prophets, the apostles, and our Messiah. In fact, “salvation is of the Jews.” (John 4:22) Gentiles are “grafted in” to the Jewish olive tree. (Romans 11:11-31)

This is an appeal to pastors to not keep silent. Help your flock understand that Christians are often the greatest friend Israel has. At the very least, instruct them on how to “pray for the peace of Jerusalem.” (Psalm 122:6). Do you know there is then promised a blessing: “They shall prosper who love thee”?

That sounds like church growth could happen as a blessing from God!

How odd of God to choose the Jews,
But not so odd as those who choose
The Jewish God, but spurn the Jews.

https://www.raptureforums.com/end-times/the-silence-of-the-shepherds/

usoutpost31

We should be watching the other Mideast situation as well. Watchdogs as well as Secretary of State Blinken, and many other world leaders are warning that Turkey and Azerbaijan are looking at Armenia with genocidal intent. Taking advantage of the fact the world is distracted by Ukraine and Israel.

They want to finish what the Ottoman Turks started a century ago; eliminate the Armenian Christians for good.

Andy C

This is an appeal to pastors to not keep silent. Help your flock understand that Christians are often the greatest friend Israel has. At the very least, instruct them on how to “pray for the peace of Jerusalem.” (Psalm 122:6). Do you know there is then promised a blessing: “They shall prosper who love thee”?
All churches should already be doing this, but sadly, they are not.

NavyMom

I've had something on my mind for a couple of weeks but wasn't sure where to post it. Maybe this thread is the spot.

My family and I moved churches after our former church fell apart. They have welcomed a new pastor recently after not having one for about 2 years. We are no longer at that church but I am still a member of their FB Group. Their new pastor made this statement a couple of days after Israel was attacked:

"Church family. With all of the news coming out of Israel, I want to ensure we properly understand our theological stance with respect to the news. Whenever drama happens in the Middle East, especially Israel, many began to think and speak about End Times prophecy and Abrahamic promises. I want you to not be mistaken about Biblical truth:
1. The nation of Israel today is NOT, the same people of God in the Bible.
2. The promise of God given to Abraham is for all those who put their faith in Jesus Christ. There is no special treatment for any group of people just because of ethnicity or nationality. In short, no salvation or eternal protection without faith in Christ alone.
3. All children of Abraham or heirs to the promise of God. They are heirs because of faith in Christ alone.
We do stand and pray for any people who are being terrorized because of their ethnicity or nationality. We do reject ethnically driven violence on any people. There is no justification for the violence Hammas has inflicted on Israel.
As far as End Times, please be aware:
1. Jesus is coming back.
2. Nobody knows when.
3. We need to be ready. [You can only get ready by turning to Jesus by faith.]
Please be cautious and don’t believe everything people (even folks you love and trust) say with respect to the happenings in modern day Israel. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me. I would love to sit and discuss this with you."

What he said really, really bothers me!! And I wanted to say something but was unsure if I should or just stay silent. I did make a "blanket" post to my personal FB giving reasons why Israel is so significant and the importance of what's happening today. A friend, who is still a member at said church, messaged me asking what my sources were!! All I knew to say were God's Word and years of study on End times Prophecy.

What are y'alls thoughts?

*** I am happy to say that our current church fully supports Israel. We are 100% Pre-Trib. And our Pastor has been preaching on Israel and the current situation on Wednesday nights.

alisani

I've had something on my mind for a couple of weeks but wasn't sure where to post it. Maybe this thread is the spot.

My family and I moved churches after our former church fell apart. They have welcomed a new pastor recently after not having one for about 2 years. We are no longer at that church but I am still a member of their FB Group. Their new pastor made this statement a couple of days after Israel was attacked:

"Church family. With all of the news coming out of Israel, I want to ensure we properly understand our theological stance with respect to the news. Whenever drama happens in the Middle East, especially Israel, many began to think and speak about End Times prophecy and Abrahamic promises. I want you to not be mistaken about Biblical truth:
2. The promise of God given to Abraham is for all those who put their faith in Jesus Christ. There is no special treatment for any group of people just because of ethnicity or nationality. In short, no salvation or eternal protection without faith in Christ alone.
3. All children of Abraham or heirs to the promise of God. They are heirs because of faith in Christ alone.
We do stand and pray for any people who are being terrorized because of their ethnicity or nationality. We do reject ethnically driven violence on any people. There is no justification for the violence Hammas has inflicted on Israel.
1. Jesus is coming back.
2. Nobody knows when.
Please be cautious and don’t believe everything people (even folks you love and trust) say with respect to the happenings in modern day Israel. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me. I would love to sit and discuss this with you."

What he said really, really bothers me!! And I wanted to say something but was unsure if I should or just stay silent. I did make a "blanket" post to my personal FB giving reasons why Israel is so significant and the importance of what's happening today. A friend, who is still a member at said church, messaged me asking what my sources were!! All I knew to say were God's Word and years of study on End times Prophecy.

*** I am happy to say that our current church fully supports Israel. We are 100% Pre-Trib. And our Pastor has been preaching on Israel and the current situation on Wednesday nights.
I am sooo glad to hear that you are in a good, sound church. As far as this church in your post, I will pray for them. What was said should bother any and all true believers! I will pray that God will move on your heart and provide both an opportunity and the right words to address this false doctrine! That cannot be allowed to spread among anyone, believers and unbelievers alike. It's false, it's disgusting, it's of the pit. This is not a reflection of God's Truth!

P.S. to add, I agree with @daygo and would also say it sounds like a lot of replacement theology thrown in as well.

NavyMom

I am sooo glad to hear that you are in a good, sound church. As far as this church in your post, I will pray for them. What was said should bother any and all true believers! I will pray that God will move on your heart and provide both an opportunity and the right words to address this false doctrine! That cannot be allowed to spread among anyone, believers and unbelievers alike. It's false, it's disgusting, it's of the pit. This is not a reflection of God's Truth!

P.S. to add, I agree with @daygo and would also say it sounds like a lot of replacement theology thrown in as well.
Replacement Theology was the very first thing I thought of! And it made my heart sink, especially having so many friends still attending there.

glc11

1. Jesus is coming back.
2. Nobody knows when.

Glad you are NOT there anymore! There is a very bold speaking pastor where I live here in Kalispell, MT, and he is followed by many in the "replacement theology" group. He also is featured regularly on a show with another broadcaster who speaks out against "end times evangelicals". Interestingly, my friend has been sending me recommendations to listen to their commentary and I know she said she no longer believes in dispensationalism. I did listen at her request , but my Spirit Filled "internal alarm" went off (WRONG WRONG WRONG!). Then, I just listened to another speaker who does a weekly update on Friday's and this past Friday, he actually mentioned both of them by name "do not listen to anything these men say, they are very confused", so I got my confirmation that they are preaching "doctrine of demons". In what I listened to at my friend's' request, they were definitely trying to make a strong case for points 1,2, and 3 at the start of your copy/paste above regarding Israel today and God's promise to Abraham. All terribly misaligned with so much scripture.

Soulpatch325

1. Jesus is coming back.
2. Nobody knows when.

I've heard this same message recently, almost verbatim. If I remember correctly it was from a conservative talk show host I listen to occasionally and I was really surprised to hear him say this. I don't know much about his walk with Christ but from what I've heard him say in the past it seems he's a believer. But when I heard this it struck me as errant as well. Replacement Theology is rampant and not only that, the pulpit, from even some of the most solid Bible teaching churches, are sadly silent on this topic for fear of causing division. It floors me that there is so much evidence all around us and yet so many pulpits are avoiding it. You'd think they'd be excited at the thought of our Savior coming for us soon!

Last edited:

lismore

Agreed! I think Ezekiel chapter 34 can be a wonderful prophecy of what things will be like in the last days. False shepherds abusing and fleecing the sheep, looking after themselves, then the Lord comes:

Ezekiel 34: 22 I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. I will judge between one sheep and another. :)

lismore

Hello NavyMom. Good to meet you. I think that pastor's many mistakes will all flow from this one foundational mistake, he forgets about God's faithfulness to Israel. All Israel will be saved because of God's faithfulness, not their works. There are hundreds of scriptures about this in the bible, here's one:

Jeremiah 31: 35 This is what the Lord says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day, who decrees the moon and stars
to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar— the Lord Almighty is his name: 36 “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,”
declares the Lord, “will Israel ever cease being a nation before me.”

If the sun still shines by day and the moon by night then Israel is still a nation before God.
Jesus said we would know when his coming is near, even at the door (Matthew 24:33) based on the Fig Tree (Israel) blossoming.
God Bless You :)

NavyMom

Thank you, everyone!

I am pretty good at following my gut instincts and when I read what he said, my "spidey senses" went way off the chart. Would you all pray with me for this pastor to turn from this teaching and for any current members there to know how to spot false teaching?

@Chris I was not sure where to post. The title of this thread kind of aligned with my concern. Please feel free to move to a more appropriate place if you think it's best.

athenasius

1. Jesus is coming back.
2. Nobody knows when.

Dear Sister in Christ @NavyMom

Praising God He moved you OUT!!! You did RIGHT to leave and God may use you to point the way out to the exit sign for others still inside that "burning building" who like your friend are beginning to question what is truly scriptural. Their house is on fire and you are pointing the way to the exit for those who are looking around and wondering if they should get out.

If the new pastor hears you and repents, wonderful. If he doesn't, remember God will keep knocking on his heart and mind and you may be planting something. If he reacts with rage and anger, that often happens when people are under the conviction of God. Think of Saul before Paul and the Road to Damascus. He'd been fighting the pricking of his conscience all along.

AND

You did RIGHT to post what you did-- your post is causing that friend to question meaning that God is working on her heart. It's a nice big red blinking exit sign. This way out of the burning building

Give her Jeremiah 31:35-36 I'll post it below-- But read the WHOLE chapter before you do because this is directed at the final end for Israel in the Millennium. Then Ezekiel 48. That chapter lists the tribes of ISRAEL and their allotments in the Millennium. After a long set of chapters describing the Millennial Temple complete with LOTS of references to the JEWS especially the tribe of Levi --and for that to happen your ex pastor is DEAD wrong. Just a start.

I think God is cleaning house and allowing error to expose the bad and the good within the flock. I actually think that this is one of the purposes God has in allowing bad theology down thru the centuries -- to expose it by showing that His own hear His voice and get out from under. That doesn't mean everyone left isn't hearing from God, some are just in that slow learning process.

It was bad theology from the pulpit (anti semitic stuff was the final straw) that got G & me out of some really bad Dominionist New Apostolic teaching back in 98 after which I really looked at why that theology and related stuff (blab it and grab it) was so bad.

In 2015 we left a previously good Baptist church that began teaching that Genesis didn't mean God actually created Adam (they went for the evolutionary old earth idea) and the Flood was "local" meaning that God lied when He said it covered the whole earth and Jesus lied when He referred to the creation of Adam and Eve and spoke of the Flood as real events (along with Jonah and the big fish). They had begun teaching these as Hebrew poetry and "stories".

Jeremiah 31:35-36

35 This is what the Lord says,

he who appoints the sun
to shine by day,
who decrees the moon and stars
to shine by night,
who stirs up the sea
so that its waves roar—
the Lord Almighty is his name:
36 “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,”
declares the Lord,
“will Israel ever cease
being a nation before me.”

37 This is what the Lord says:

“Only if the heavens above can be measured
and the foundations of the earth below be searched out
will I reject all the descendants of Israel
because of all they have done,”
declares the Lord.

Ezek 48-- notice Dan is here v1& 32 which a lot of people miss, presuming that Dan is wiped out of the future prophecies after the Tribulation! The other tribes are all here, INCLUDING THE ZADOK PRIESTS who were a part of the Aaronic priesthood. So by that we see ALL Israel is here, not a single tribe or division left out!!!! AND notice that the borders are the ones promised to Abraham but this has never happened in history, and the final verse is UNMISTAKEABLE-- it takes us from the Millennium into Eternity.

1 “These are the tribes, listed by name: At the northern frontier, Dan will have one portion; it will follow the Hethlon road to Lebo Hamath; Hazar Enan and the northern border of Damascus next to Hamath will be part of its border from the east side to the west side.

2 “Asher will have one portion; it will border the territory of Dan from east to west.

3 “Naphtali will have one portion; it will border the territory of Asher from east to west.

4 “Manasseh will have one portion; it will border the territory of Naphtali from east to west.

5 “Ephraim will have one portion; it will border the territory of Manasseh from east to west.

6 “Reuben will have one portion; it will border the territory of Ephraim from east to west.

7 “Judah will have one portion; it will border the territory of Reuben from east to west.

8 “Bordering the territory of Judah from east to west will be the portion you are to present as a special gift. It will be 25,000 cubits wide, and its length from east to west will equal one of the tribal portions; the sanctuary will be in the center of it.

9 “The special portion you are to offer to the Lord will be 25,000 cubits long and 10,000 cubits wide. 10 This will be the sacred portion for the priests. It will be 25,000 cubits long on the north side, 10,000 cubits wide on the west side, 10,000 cubits wide on the east side and 25,000 cubits long on the south side. In the center of it will be the sanctuary of the Lord. 11 This will be for the consecrated priests, the Zadokites, who were faithful in serving me and did not go astray as the Levites did when the Israelites went astray. 12 It will be a special gift to them from the sacred portion of the land, a most holy portion, bordering the territory of the Levites.

13 “Alongside the territory of the priests, the Levites will have an allotment 25,000 cubits long and 10,000 cubits wide. Its total length will be 25,000 cubits and its width 10,000 cubits. 14 They must not sell or exchange any of it. This is the best of the land and must not pass into other hands, because it is holy to the Lord.

15 “The remaining area, 5,000 cubits wide and 25,000 cubits long, will be for the common use of the city, for houses and for pastureland. The city will be in the center of it 16 and will have these measurements: the north side 4,500 cubits, the south side 4,500 cubits, the east side 4,500 cubits, and the west side 4,500 cubits. 17 The pastureland for the city will be 250 cubits on the north, 250 cubits on the south, 250 cubits on the east, and 250 cubits on the west. 18 What remains of the area, bordering on the sacred portion and running the length of it, will be 10,000 cubits on the east side and 10,000 cubits on the west side. Its produce will supply food for the workers of the city. 19 The workers from the city who farm it will come from all the tribes of Israel. 20 The entire portion will be a square, 25,000 cubits on each side. As a special gift you will set aside the sacred portion, along with the property of the city.

21 “What remains on both sides of the area formed by the sacred portion and the property of the city will belong to the prince. It will extend eastward from the 25,000 cubits of the sacred portion to the eastern border, and westward from the 25,000 cubits to the western border. Both these areas running the length of the tribal portions will belong to the prince, and the sacred portion with the temple sanctuary will be in the center of them. 22 So the property of the Levites and the property of the city will lie in the center of the area that belongs to the prince. The area belonging to the prince will lie between the border of Judah and the border of Benjamin.

23 “As for the rest of the tribes: Benjamin will have one portion; it will extend from the east side to the west side.
24 “Simeon will have one portion; it will border the territory of Benjamin from east to west.
25 “Issachar will have one portion; it will border the territory of Simeon from east to west.
26 “Zebulun will have one portion; it will border the territory of Issachar from east to west.
27 “Gad will have one portion; it will border the territory of Zebulun from east to west.
28 “The southern boundary of Gad will run south from Tamar to the waters of Meribah Kadesh, then along the Wadi of Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea.

29 “This is the land you are to allot as an inheritance to the tribes of Israel, and these will be their portions,” declares the Sovereign Lord.

The Gates of the New City​

30 “These will be the exits of the city: Beginning on the north side, which is 4,500 cubits long, 31 the gates of the city will be named after the tribes of Israel. The three gates on the north side will be the gate of Reuben, the gate of Judah and the gate of Levi.

32 “On the east side, which is 4,500 cubits long, will be three gates: the gate of Joseph, the gate of Benjamin and the gate of Dan.

33 “On the south side, which measures 4,500 cubits, will be three gates: the gate of Simeon, the gate of Issachar and the gate of Zebulun.

34 “On the west side, which is 4,500 cubits long, will be three gates: the gate of Gad, the gate of Asher and the gate of Naphtali.

35 “The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits.

“And the name of the city from that time on will be:

the Lord is there.”

Jaybird

Thank you, everyone!

I am pretty good at following my gut instincts and when I read what he said, my "spidey senses" went way off the chart. Would you all pray with me for this pastor to turn from this teaching and for any current members there to know how to spot false teaching?

@Chris I was not sure where to post. The title of this thread kind of aligned with my concern. Please feel free to move to a more appropriate place if you think it's best.
We are always told to question our feelings because they can be misleading. However, we are indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

1Jo2: 27 “But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ.”

We have the spirit of discernment so as you say when those “spidy senses” start going crazy we need to be a Berean and check what is said against the Scripture!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Isaiah 66:8 talks about God bringing them back into the land at the end times. If they weren't His people, he would not bring them back. Notice the narrative of Isaiah 66 speaks about what God is going to do and he even says "I" many times. Israel's rebirth is a miracle as no other country has ceased to exist and been reborn again a second time. That is the miracle of Israel.

Isaiah 66:8-9

8 Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

9 Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the Lord: shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God.

I'm glad you got out of that other church. Seems like replacement theology or maybe even antisemitism has creeped in there. :tsk

Jaybird

The people who espouse these crazy ideas really have to go through some “mental gymnastics” to justify their thoughts. They usually take one verse out of context and when confronted with the real truth turn to character attacks. Best to run from these apostates, they clearly do not listen to sound reasoning. If they did they wouldn’t be an apostate! The Scripture is not that complicated.

Back