The Rapture: Who gets taken?

I wonder if anyone can please help me with something that has been bothering me for a long time. I've heard many different views on who will be taken in the rapture. Some teachers say if you are saved you'll be taken, and others say you will only be taken if you are obedient enough to God's word. If the latter is true how can I know if I'm being obedient enough? I love the Lord Jesus and I desperately want to please Him and to "trust and obey" as that old song goes. Can someone please help me with this? I feel as if the worry of it is hanging over my head all the time. Thankyou.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
GotQuestions.org is a good resource for our questions. There is a lot of information there on the rapture and who goes when the call is issued. Also covered are the different views of the timing of the rapture, as well. Lots of good info here. Click the link, scroll down, and select which titles of articles you want to review.

My thought is that anyone who has confessed that Jesus is Lord and who believes in his heart that Jesus died for our sins, and was raised up from death on the 3rd day, and who turns to Jesus in repentance, will go in the rapture. Jesus said the work of God is this: To believe on Me whom He has sent. http://biblehub.com/john/6-29.htm

He also answered a tricky question about works under the Law by saying that we keep all the commandments by loving the Lord God with all our hearts, and loving our neighbor as ourselves. He gave a new commandment along those lines, to His disciples: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+13:34-35 John 13:34-35

New International Version (NIV)

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Search GotQuestions.org

Here is the first article that came up in my search. Hope this helps!

http://www.gotquestions.org/left-behind-rapture.html

Question: "How can I be ready to be caught up in the Rapture?"

Answer:
It is much simpler than you may think. The short answer is that you must receive Jesus Christ as your Savior. Now for the long answer. When you ask this question, we assume that you have heard that not all Christians will be taken when the Rapture occurs. You probably have been told that only "super Christians" who are living a holy life will be raptured, and all the other Christians will have to suffer through the Tribulation. This is not true, and we will show you why this is not true from Scripture.

The first thing that you must understand is the purpose for the Tribulation. The Tribulation is a time of judgment on the earth and punishment for Israel. Please note that Israel and the Church are not the same group of people. The Church is a spiritual organism. People in the Church are related because of their spiritual birth (by being born again - John 3:3). The people of Israel (Jews) are related by blood. This is a race of people to whom God made special promises in the Old Testament. God declared a time of judgment upon Israel for their unfaithfulness. This time of judgment is clearly declared to be only for Israel (Daniel 9:24-27).

Gabriel brought a message from God to Daniel (9:20-21). Daniel 9:24 says, "Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy place." In this message Gabriel specifies to Daniel that the time is "for your people." Daniel's people were Jews, the nation of Israel. God declared 70 weeks against the nation of Israel. This “70 weeks” is literally in the Hebrew “70 sevens.” In other words, 70 times 7 years, or 490 years. Of those years, 483 (69 times 7) of them were fulfilled from the end of the Israel's captivity in Babylon to the cutting off of Messiah (the crucifixion of Christ). This leaves 7 years of judgment yet to be fulfilled. Those 7 years are the years of the Tribulation. The point is that this prophecy concerns Israel primarily, and the purpose of the judgment is "to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy place."

Now, we can also demonstrate from Scripture that Christians will not be in the Tribulation. A study of 1 Thessalonians 4:13 through 5:9 shows this. In this passage Paul writes about the Rapture and the Day of the Lord. First Thessalonians 5:9 gives Christians this promise: "God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ." Pay close attention to this verse. Paul says God has not destined us for wrath, specifically the wrath of the Day of the Lord (5:2).

Further evidence that Christians will not go through the Tribulation comes from 1 Corinthians. In that letter Paul sharply rebukes the believers for being carnal Christians. But in chapter 15, Paul writes of the Rapture, and he never indicates that any of the Corinthian believers, carnal though they were, would be left behind. True believers in Jesus Christ will not have to endure the Tribulation.

The only way you will be left behind in the Rapture is if you have not received Christ as your Savior.

Recommended Resources: The Rapture: Who Will Face the Tribulation by Tim LaHaye and Logos Bible Software.

While he is not the author of every article on GotQuestions.org, for citation purposes, you may reference our CEO, S. Michael Houdmann.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/left-behind-rapture.html#ixzz2wq6rcQgR

iSong6:3

2 Thessalonians 2:6-7 clarifies this as well.

It says that the Restrainer must be removed so the AC can be revealed. Who - since the personal pronoun "he" is used - is powerful enough to hold back such a flood of evil? Only the Holy Spirit.

Since the Holy Spirit currently indwells believers, the believers must be removed as well. That will happen at the Rapture.

If some of the Church are left behind for whatever reason man can imagine, the Holy Spirit will not have been removed and the events of the Trib cannot start. :hat:

mattfivefour

The answer IS very simple. What is raptured? The Church. Who are the Church? Those who are in Christ? Who is in Christ? Anyone and everyone who is born again ... which is by Grace alone ... through Faith alone ... in Christ alone ... not of works lest anyone should boast (Ephesians 2:8). Thus every single person who is born again is going in the Rapture.

The Holy Spirit made it clear through Paul's letters to the churches in Rome and Galatia that we are sanctified in the same way we are saved-- by faith. Invaded, as God repeats four times! in the Bible (Habakkuk 2:4; Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11; Hebrews 10:38) we live by faith. And faith alone. So, if by faith we are in Christ, God tells us He has sealed us in Christ just as surely and securely as He sealed Noah in the Ark.

If you read Genesis 6:16 you will see that Noah did not close himself in the Ark ... it was not he who shut the door. It was God. Noah had to obey Him and enter the Ark of his own accord. But once in, it was God who secured him there. Just so, with us in Christ, we have to enter in (ie: obey God and accept Christ as our Lord and Savior) to our Ark (Christ) ... but once we are in, it is God Himself who secures us there. We do not keep ourselves in Christ, God does. Therefore, there can be no doubt at all that ALL who are Christ's will go in the Rapture. It is not based on OUR performance but solely on Christ's.

I hope this helps.

livin_in_the_Son

I may be wrong, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say that those "Christians" who get left behind, aren't truly Christians. They may attend church, tithe, volunteer, and be basically good people. They may even read their bibles, and pray in front of others...but none of this can "save" anyone.

They may have what I call "head knowledge", but not "heart knowledge"...meaning they understand the fundamentals of what Christ did for us on the cross, but never accepted it in their hearts as truth. There was no supernatural transaction. Therefore, they are not truly saved, and will come to this realization after the rapture happens, and they miss it.

It's sad, but there will be many who know the truth, but never acted on it before it was too late.

mattfivefour

In other words they did not personally commit themselves to Him as their only way, their only hope. You are exactly right, Living.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Yes, I was thinking that false conversion needed to be included here. This is one of the Q&A's on false converts from GotQuestions.org

How can I detect a false conversion?

Question: "How can I detect a false conversion?"

Answer: To convert is to be “born again.” At the moment of conversion, the converted person is filled with the Holy Spirit and begins a journey of turning away from sin and beginning to worship and serve the Lord. A “false conversion” is no conversion at all. A false conversion may look like a true, Spirit-caused conversion, but it is not. The reasons for false conversions are varied. Sometimes the person experiencing a false conversion doesn’t even realize it. At other times, there is intentional deception on his/her part. Not everyone who claims to have been converted has, in fact, been converted.

Just as those trained to recognize counterfeit money become intimately acquainted with the real thing, in order to detect a false conversion, it is necessary to first know what true Christian behavior looks like. We do this by studying and knowing intimately God’s Word. We learn from the Parable of the Weeds in Matthew 13:24–30 that Satan works to deceive the church by mingling his children with God’s children, often making it difficult for believers to discern the true from the false. The more we are familiar with Scripture, the easier it will be for us to detect the true Christians from the false converts.

True Christians are “born again” (John 3:3) and are controlled by the Holy Spirit; they are no longer controlled by their sinful nature (Romans 8:9). Indeed, born-again Christians have the Spirit of Christ indwelling their hearts (Galatians 4:6), and they become new creations: “The old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). When a person receives Christ, tremendous spiritual changes take place in him, and true converts will indeed display the characteristics of genuine Christians. For example, true Christians will understand the importance of abiding daily in God’s Word, which shows not only how we can be saved from our sins, but also how we may be equipped to serve God and how to obtain true success in life (2 Timothy 3:17; James 1:25). True Christians will walk in the light and obey God’s commands, for “God’s love is truly made complete” in those who obey His Word (1 John 2:5).

Christians live by the Spirit so as not to gratify the desires of the sinful nature, “for the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature” (Galatians 5:17). The things of this world, “the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does” (1 John 2:16) no longer have a stronghold on the life of the true believer. Indeed, “those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires” (Galatians 5:24). We no longer live for us; rather, we live for the One who died for us, sacrificing our desires and ambitions and replacing them with those of Christ. Granted, we will never be completely victorious in our Christian walk (1 John 1:8); however, Christians will not repeatedly engage in sinful behavior, as “no one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed [nature] remains in him” (1 John 3:9). And this new nature exhibits the habitual character of righteousness produced by the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22–23).

In Matthew 7:13–14 Christ tells His followers the road that leads to eternal life is narrow and that “only a few find it.” The broad road with the wide gate, on the other hand, is the one that leads to destruction, and we see that “many” will take this path. And many who claim to be converted Christians will never leave the broad road with its worldly allurements. They desire to live an easy Christianity that makes few demands on them, yet when “trouble or persecution comes because of the word” they quickly fall away (Matthew 13:21). Furthermore, they produce little, if any, fruit. Yet we know that true faith in Christ profoundly changes one’s life and will cause us to produce much fruit for God’s glory. And, ultimately, fruit is the test of true salvation, and this includes holiness (Romans 6:22), Christian character (Galatians 5:22–23), good works (Colossians 1:10), winning others to Christ (Romans 1:13), sharing what we have (Romans 15:25–28; Hebrews 13:16), and praising God (Hebrews 13:15). As Christ said, “By their fruit you will recognize them. . . . A good tree cannot bear bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit” (Matthew 7:16, 18).

Truly converted sinners have trusted Christ alone and seek to become more and more Christlike all the time. Those who claim to be Christians should display the characteristics of true Christians: sound doctrine, obedience to God’s Word, and love. They should unashamedly work to spread the good news of the gospel, as we are called to do (Matthew 28:19–20), knowing well that they might be mocked and ridiculed by many in these increasingly secular times. And although false Christians may sometimes be able to deceive us, they certainly cannot deceive God, as nothing in all creation is hidden from His sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account (Hebrews 4:13). At the end of the age, His angels will separate the true from the false Christians.

Recommended Resources: Eternal Security by Charles Stanley and Logos Bible Software.

While he is not the author of every article on GotQuestions.org, for citation purposes, you may reference our CEO, S. Michael Houdmann.

Read more: How can I detect a false conversion?

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
If you were awakened during the night to find that your house was on fire and you had to quickly rescue your family or they would all perish in the flames would you rescue all of your children from your burning house our would you rescue only the obedient children from your burning house?

They way I look at this is that God cares about His children, born-again believers in Christ, in the same way we care about our children. Of course we would rescue all of our children from the burning house or die trying. God is greater than we are, Jesus already died for us, all genuine believers will be rescued, raptured.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Here is where the most confusion comes in, I believe, about true believers. There is such a thing as a "carnal Christian". They are not necessarily false converts. It is in this area of true believers that I always say: There will be some surprises when we get to heaven. Some people we thought would be there won't be, and some we were pretty sure would not be there will be. That is why only God truly knows and we are to tread lightly when judging our brethren.

Scripture so very carefully states that we are to examine ourselves to be sure we are in the faith. 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test? It is good for us all to review scriptural truth, and at the bible hub link there are commentaries and cross references as well. It is a good study tool IMHO.

There are also outright apostates, leading masses of people into sure destruction with false gospels and heretical doctrines. We are learning here at RF to discern these destructive apostates and expose them for what they are. No apostate should go unchallenged. (Read the epistle of Jude.) We are to contend earnestly for the faith.

What is a carnal Christian?

Question: "What is a carnal Christian?"

Answer: Can a true Christian be carnal? In answering this question, let’s first define the term “carnal.” The word “carnal” is translated from the Greek word sarkikos, which literally means “fleshly.” This descriptive word is seen in the context of Christians in 1 Corinthians 3:1-3. In this passage, the apostle Paul is addressing the readers as “brethren,” a term he uses almost exclusively to refer to other Christians; he then goes on to describe them as “carnal.” Therefore, we can conclude that Christians can be carnal. The Bible is absolutely clear that no one is sinless (1 John 1:8). Every time we sin, we are acting carnally.

The key thing to understand is that while a Christian can be, for a time, carnal, a true Christian will not remain carnal for a lifetime. Some have abused the idea of a “carnal Christian” by saying that it is possible for people to come to faith in Christ and then proceed to live the rest of their lives in a completely carnal manner, with no evidence of being born again or a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17). Such a concept is completely unbiblical. James 2 makes it abundantly clear that genuine faith will always result in good works. Ephesians 2:8-10 declares that while we are saved by grace alone through faith alone, that salvation will result in works. Can a Christian, in a time of failure and/or rebellion, appear to be carnal? Yes. Will a true Christian remain carnal? No.

Since eternal security is a fact of Scripture, even the carnal Christian is still saved. Salvation cannot be lost, because salvation is a gift of God that He will not take away (see John 10:28; Romans 8:37-39; 1 John 5:13). Even in 1 Corinthians 3:15, the carnal Christian is assured of salvation: “If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.” The question is not whether a person who claims to be a Christian but lives carnally has lost his salvation, but whether that person was truly saved in the first place (1 John 2:19).

Christians who become carnal in their behavior can expect God to lovingly discipline them (Hebrews 12:5-11) so they can be restored to close fellowship with Him and be trained to obey Him. God’s desire in saving us is that we would progressively grow closer to the image of Christ (Romans 12:1-2), becoming increasingly spiritual and decreasingly carnal, a process known as sanctification. Until we are delivered from our sinful flesh, there will be outbreaks of carnality. For a genuine believer in Christ, though, these outbreaks of carnality will be the exception, not the rule.

Recommended Resources: Overcoming Sin and Temptation by John Owen and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: What is a carnal Christian?

Longing2cJesus

Hi LittleBrownCoconut,

We are saved when we believe..........then we are sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of Redemption........

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Eph 4:30
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Once we belong to Jesus by Believing on Him we cannot be lost nor taken away from Him..........

Jhn 10:28
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

What if I don’t feel saved?” This is a common question of concern. The Bible says much about salvation, but little about feeling saved. Why? Because salvation is based on faith, not feelings. Ephesians 2:8 tells us we have been saved by grace through faith. We believe and are saved, whether the feelings are there or not.

It is good that you question what others have told you. You are following what the Bereans did by questioning what they say. Paul in 1 Corinthians tells us that it is a good thing to question what you are taught and to search the Scriptures to see whether those things are true or not.

"ALL" who believe in Jesus Christ as their LORD and Savior will go up in the Rapture.

You will always find "truth" in God's Word.

God Bless you.

:hug
Ann

PS: those who teach that "only those who are obedient" are imposing a "works based salvation" on people..........this is far from the truth..............we are saved by Grace through Faith.......not by works lest any man should boast...........Eph 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Eph 2:9
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

iSong6:3

Just a few other thoughts, Coconut, if it's okay.

Sometimes preachers/teachers want so much to see holiness in their congregations. That's a good thing. But telling God's sheep something that is entirely unBiblical in order to scare them into good works is not a good thing.

And if you think about it, not only does the "partial Rapture theory" show a huge misunderstanding of what our Savior Jesus accomplished for us on that cross, it's also a belief in a *purgatory.* It's saying our own actions determine our righteousness, and if they don't measure up, we have to stay in a hellish situation to *purify ourselves.* That's a violent assault on the work and Word of God.

Always compare what you hear with the Word. If you have a red flag - especially - check it out by the Word, as you certainly did. The Lord gives us that precious discernment to protect us. Good going! :thumbup

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Yes, and holiness is also by grace (not by our own works). It would be good for preachers to expound on that a little bit!

God gets all the glory for our lives. We can claim none of it! It is sure freeing once we really get a grip on that concept, right?

And not freeing in respect to running around sinning all we can because grace abounds, but freeing in that all the pressure is off of us to perfect ourselves because we understand we just cannot do that.

Faith, salvation, grace, justification, holiness, sanctification: all given to us by God's providence.

:yeah:

Heistheway

Some of the most "rascalous" of characters will be raptured while many who shepherded in the ways of religion will not. Being born again "could" be characterized as abandoning the reasoning and conclusions of man's intelligence and trusting the spiritual Truths of Jesus Christ and His example of trusting in the Father.

When confusion ensues, a born again will consult their scriptural understandings first, and not be concerned with how the world will view their choices. They will form prayer to have God's intercession on their behalf rather than seek consensus on earthly solutions.

SLR cameras are either speed first, aperture second driven, or just the opposite. So it is with our nature. We either turn to God first, or choose the world.

If you so love the Lord and all His ways that you seek His handling of life's dilemmas, you will be raptured. Do not let the earthly mantra of "good works" deter you from God's promises.

A big thank you to everybody who replied. I have a lot to think about and I'm slowly reading everything, bit by bit, so I don't miss anything. Thank you all!

Big hugs to everyone!

:hug

RandallB

Completely agree with the fantastic postings above! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Especially the explanations of what is REQUIRED for being saved and what happens AFTER we are saved.

REQUIRED:
Belief in the Lord, His Death, His Resurrection, and our need for & acceptance of His Free Gift of Salvation.
We are thus Justified and Saved forever.

AFTER:
We are becoming conformed to the image of Christ (or Sanctification).
This is where we learn to obey the commandments of God (Love Others, Obedient to God's Word, etc.)
We do not learn these right away.
There may be some that are really tough for us to obey (Addictions to drugs, porn, etc.)
Maybe the only change our behavior is just a desire to change, but the Lord will work with us where we are.
We can loose relationship with the Lord due to our sinning but we do not loose our Justification/Salvation.
Agreeing all over again with the Lord about our sin issue and Asking for forgiveness restores our relationship.

Back