The Purpose of The Book of Chronicles

Spartan Sprinter 1

Hi guys, I'm really struggling spiritually to read through the Book of Chronicles in the sense that it seems to be repeating a lot of the stuff in the book of Kings with only a little bit more detail.

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the book of chronicles to the believer ?

This is the 1st time that i want to skip over a book of the bible but i know that there surely must be something in it for us gentile believers?

RonJohnSilver

In general, all of the Bible is useful as Paul says, for examples of what to do and not to do. Timothy says the Bible is useful for training in righteousness. Even with some of the repetitions, remember that the Old Testament points to Jesus, sometimes obscurely, but Jesus himself said that the O.T. was all about Him. As for Chronicles, remember that in the Hebrew Bible, the Tanach, some of the books were consolidated into one. Chronicles and Kings may be two that were together at one time. Finally, I remember one of my teachers saying that he believed the entire Bible was useful, every single verse, even the geneologies and Levitical laws...perhaps not to everyone...but someone, somewhere would find meaning in the difficult verses. I'm not at my desk so I don't have the Biblical references at hand. Keep reading, though, it gets better.

Sojourner414

Hi guys, I'm really struggling spiritually to read through the Book of Chronicles in the sense that it seems to be repeating a lot of the stuff in the book of Kings with only a little bit more detail.

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the book of chronicles to the believer ?

This is the 1st time that i want to skip over a book of the bible but i know that there surely must be something in it for us gentile believers?
The Books of Chronicles focuses soley on the Kingdom of Judah, while the Books of the Kings focuses on both Judah and Israel. Being that out of the two nations only Judah survives to return (the northern kingdom is taken by Assyria and never seen again per se), the Lord returns to focus on them a bit more in the Chronicles. In fact, over half of the information in the Books of Chronicles do not appear in Either Samuel 1 or 2, or the Books of the Kings.

In the Chronicles are given several chronological lists; these lists became very important in re-establishing worship in Jerusalem, as only the Levites could qualify to become priests in the temple. Additionally, by showing the lineage of Israel from Adam to that point, as well as the Lord's provision in times past, the people could take heart that they were still God's chosen nation and that He had not abandoned them.

So, what do these books hold for us today then?

For one thing: they demonstrate that all that God promised to do, He has done. Whenever Hod made a promise to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and their descendants, He was more than able to fulfill it. He brought them out of Egypt, He established them in the Holy Land, He provided for and cared for them, and He preserved a remnant even in the worst of times. If the Lord God can be trusted to do so for the Israelites back them, and preserve not only their heritage, but their lineage and the promises made to them (as well as the prophecies made to them as well), the He can still do so for us today. We, who are waiting on one of the most important prophecies and promises yet to come, can see in Chronicles not only the history (good and bad) of Judah, but how the Lord held true to his word throughout it.

For another: it demonstrates that when the Lord has a warning for us, we would do very well to heed it! God warned Israel and Judah repeatedly that judgment was coming if they did not turn from their sin. Just because Judah had escaped Assyria's invasion did not mean they had skipped out on the Lord's judgment against them! They spent a generation in captivity learning a hard lesson: When God says something, He means it!!

Finally, the last statement of 2 Chronicles tells that Cyrus permitted the return of the Jewish nation to Israel. This serves as a note that not only did they have permission from the King of Persia, but that the Lord had restored them to their homeland. At least in my mind, it shows us that even when we mess up badly, there is still forgiveness and restoration in the Lord, no matter the circumstances.

Last edited:

Spartan Sprinter 1

The Books of Chronicles focuses soley on the Kingdom of Judah, while the Books of the Kings focuses on both Judah and Israel. Being that out of the two nations only Judah survives to return (the northern kingdom is taken by Assyria and never seen again per se), the Lord returns to focus on them a bit more in the Chronicles. In fact, over half of the information in the Books of Chronicles do not appear in Either Samuel 1 or 2, or the Books of the Kings.

In the Chronicles are given several chronological lists; these lists became

very important in re-establishing worship in Jerusalem, as only the Levites could qualify to become priests in the temple. Additionally, by showing the lineage of Israel from Adam to that point, as well as the Lord's provision in times past, the people could take heart that they were still God's chosen nation and that He had not abandoned them.

So, what do these books hold for us today then?

For one thing: they demonstrate that all that God promised to do, He has done. Whenever Hod made a promise to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and their descendants, He was more than able to fulfill it. He brought them out of Egypt, He established them in the Holy Land, He provided for and cared for them, and He preserved a remnant even in the worst of times. If the Lord God can be trusted to do so for the Israelites back them, and preserve not only their heritage, but their lineage and the promises made to them (as well as the prophecies made to them as well), the He can still do so for us today. We, who are waiting on one of the most important prophecies and promises yet to come, can see in Chronicles not only the history (good and bad) of Judah, but how the Lord held true to his word throughout it.

For another: it demonstrates that when the Lord has a warning for us, we would do very well to heed it! God warned Israel and Judah repeatedly that judgment was coming if they did not turn from their sin. Just because Judah had escaped Assyria's invasion did not mean they had skipped out on the Lord's judgment against them! They spent a generation in captivity learning a hard lesson: When God says something, He means it!!

Finally, the last statement of 2 Chronicles tells that Cyrus permitted the return of the Jewish nation to Israel. This serves as a note that not only did they have permission from the King of Persia, but that the Lord had restored them to their homeland. At least in my mind, it shows us that even when we mess up badly, there is still forgiveness and restoration in the Lord, no matter the circumstances.

Thanks Sojourner for clearing that up, i understood how this book would benefit the Jews but wasn't sure what it's application is for us believers.

Your explanation was very clear and concise

Spartan Sprinter 1

In general, all of the Bible is useful as Paul says, for examples of what to do and not to do. Timothy says the Bible is useful for training in righteousness. Even with some of the repetitions, remember that the Old Testament points to Jesus, sometimes obscurely, but Jesus himself said that the O.T. was all about Him. As for Chronicles, remember that in the Hebrew Bible, the Tanach, some of the books were consolidated into one. Chronicles and Kings may be two that were together at one time. Finally, I remember one of my teachers saying that he believed the entire Bible was useful, every single verse, even the geneologies and Levitical laws...perhaps not to everyone...but someone, somewhere would find meaning in the difficult verses. I'm not at my desk so I don't have the Biblical references at hand. Keep reading, though, it gets better.

Yeah at the moment it's the genealogy of the tribes that is kind of getting a bit monotonous to read through , I'll have to pray that the holy spirit keeps my attention and to show me the relevant lessons tjat i need to take heed of

Spartan Sprinter 1

The only thing of interest that caught my eye that Magog wss listed somewhere, i'll have to look later to see which family or tribe he originated from