The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts

TrustinHim

This is not surprising. The Dems are working hard to weaponize virtually every government agency against their perceived enemies. Modern technology gives them the ability to spy and harass at will, and the radical left is all too happy to use and abuse that power.
Never in the history of man has the possibility of such total oppression and surveillance of each person's words and actions been possible. Even slaves were left alone usually after the days work was finished.

Bethlehem57

As a retired mail carrier, this does not surprise me. All the major postal union leaders are dems and BLM types.
Management with the PO has been top- heavy for years....as in “too many chiefs and not enough Indians (no racism intended)” And as spouse to a former mail handler, we experienced exactly what you have stated.

Their way of thinking is if you are a white male, you are going to be stuck as an “Indian.” Qualified or not, if you are a female, regardless of color, you are going to be promoted. If you are male and not white, same opportunities as women. My DH worked for them for over 30 years and it was made pretty clear that he wouldn’t be moving up ever.

Bethlehem57

^ My guess Chris is that since the Postal Service had experienced staff and procedures in place surveilling the mail system, it was easier and cheaper to expand it to include the internet rather than start another surveillance system from scratch. From the article...“The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is the primary law enforcement, crime prevention, and security arm of the U.S. Postal Service,” the statement said. “As such, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service has federal law enforcement officers, Postal Inspectors, who enforce approximately 200 federal laws to achieve the agency’s mission: protect the U.S. Postal Service and its employees, infrastructure, and customers; enforce the laws that defend the nation's mail system from illegal or dangerous use; and ensure public trust in the mail.”

No secrets anymore...
Speaking as a wife of a retired postal employee, and witnessing how wasteful and ignorant management was, if they have this capability, it must be in an office that is hidden and secreted away. Most of their management is dictated by color of skin and female. My DH has waded through over 30 years of being on the “bad end of the stick,” simpl because he is a white male.
Time and time again, lots of qualified white males get passed over for promotions because of their skin color. And believe me, the union they have is loaded with managerial members that make this a joke regarding being on the employee’s side.

We are grateful to God for blessing us with his job and because his military time counted for retirement, he was able to leave before more insanity began. There are many times he witnessed wasteful spending and resources; the USPS runs top-heavy with management. From experience, we’ve never witnessed any type of technology excellence, so if this is true, its a shock to us!

Batman

I agree. My dad was a letter carrier for easily 35 years in a small town and refused to take any promotion or move to a larger town/city because of the stupidity that was infesting in the PO. He started his career around 1960 or 61 in KC and moved my mom, older brother, and I back to his hometown and nearby my mom's b/c of the unsafe and perverted city conditions. We were always grateful. He was caught in a love/hate with the PO b/c he loved the union and benefits and work but hated the PO leadership and greed and preferential treatment of ethnicities, women, and young persons.

Dunamis

The Postal Service is running a 'covert operations program' that monitors Americans' social media posts

Jana Winter Thu, April 22, 2021

The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service has been quietly running a program that tracks and collects Americans’ social media posts, including those about planned protests, according to a document obtained by Yahoo News.

The details of the surveillance effort, known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, have not previously been made public. The work involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as “inflammatory” postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.

“Analysts with the United States Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP) monitored significant activity regarding planned protests occurring internationally and domestically on March 20, 2021,” says the March 16 government bulletin, marked as “law enforcement sensitive” and distributed through the Department of Homeland Security’s fusion centers. “Locations and times have been identified for these protests, which are being distributed online across multiple social media platforms, to include right-wing leaning Parler and Telegram accounts.”

A number of groups were expected to gather in cities around the globe on March 20 as part of a World Wide Rally for Freedom and Democracy, to protest everything from lockdown measures to 5G. “Parler users have commented about their intent to use the rallies to engage in violence. Image 3 on the right is a screenshot from Parler indicating two users discussing the event as an opportunity to engage in a ‘fight’ and to ‘do serious damage,’” says the bulletin.

“No intelligence is available to suggest the legitimacy of these threats,” it adds.

The bulletin includes screenshots of posts about the protests from Facebook, Parler, Telegram and other social media sites. Individuals mentioned by name include one alleged Proud Boy and several others whose identifying details were included but whose posts did not appear to contain anything threatening.

Continues...

https://news.yahoo.com/the-postal-s...s-americans-social-media-posts-160022919.html
There is also a plan by my postman to ruin the grass and make his own pathway in my lawn instead of the sidewalk up to my house. Joking aside, what gives the post office any authority to consume tax payer dollars to run surveillance on law abiding citizens?

RobinMc

I think the postal service needs to stick to mail, and mind their own business! :tappingfoot
The postal service is a gov't agency and does what they are told to do by the gov't. IF the inspection service (separate agency) is doing this, it's because someone at the top decided they would do it.