:lobster posted in full from:
AII POW-MIA - The Peck Resignation Letter

The Peck Resignation Letter

DATE: 12 FEB 1991

ATTN: POW-MIA
SUBJECT: Request for Relief
TO:DR

1.PURPOSE:
I, herby, request to resign my positon as Chief of the Special Office for Prisoners of War and Missing in Action (POW-MIA).

2. BACKGROUND:
a.Motivation. My initial acceptance of this posting was base upon two motives: first, I had heard that the job was highly contentious and extremely frustrating, that no one would volunteer for it because of its complex political nature. This, of course, made it appear challenging. Secondly, since the end of the Vietnam War, I had heard the persistent rumors of American Servicemen having been abandoned in Indochina, and that the Government was conducting a "cover-up" so as not to be embarrassed. I was curious about this and thought that serving as the Chief of POW-MIA would be an opportunity to satisfy my own interest and help clear the Government's name.

b.The Office's Reputation. It was interesting that my previous exposure to the POW-MIA Office, while assigned to DIA, both as a Duty Director for Intelligence (DDI) and as the Chief of the Asia Division for Current Intelligence (JSI-3), was negative. DIA personnel who worked for me, when dealing with or mentioning the Office, always spoke about it in deprecating tomes, alluding to the fact that any report which found its way there would quickly disappear into a "black hole."

c.General Attitudes. Additionally, surveys of active duty military personnel indicated that a high percentage (83%) believed that there were still live American prisoners in Vietnam. This idea was further promulgated in a number of legitimate veteran's periodicals and professional journals, as well as the media in general, which held that where there was so much smoke, there must be fire.

d.Cover-up. The dark side of the issue was particularly unsettling because of the persistent rumors and innuendoes of a Government conspiracy, alleging that U.S. military personnel had been left behing to the victorious communist governments in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, and that for "political reasons" or running the risk of a second Vietnam War, their existence was officially denied. Worse yet was the implication that DIA's Special Office for POWs and MIAs was an integral part of this effort to cover the entire affair up so as not to embarrass the Government nor the Defense Establishment.

e.The Crusade. As a Vietnam veteran with a certain amount of experience in Indochina, I was interested in the entire POW-MIA question, and willinly volunteered for the job, viewing it as sort of a holy crusade.

f.The Harsh Reality. Heading up the Office has not been pleasant. My plan was to be totally honest and forthcoming on the entire issue and aggressively pursue innovative actions and concepts to clear up the live sighting business, thereby refurbishing the image and honor of DIA. I became painfully aware, however, that I was not really in charge of my own office, but was merely a figurehead or whipping boy for a larger and totally Machiavellian group of players outside of DIA. What I witnessed during my tenure as the cardboard cut-out "Chief" of POW-MIA could be euphemistically labelled as disillusioning.

3.CURRENT IMPRESSIONS, BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE:
a.Highest National Priority. That National leaders continue to address the prisoner of war and missing in action issue as the "highest national priority" is a travesty. From my vantage point, I observed that the principal government players were interested primarily in conducting a "damage limitation exercise", and appeared to knowingly and deliberately generate an endless succession of manufactured crises and "busy work". Progress consisted in frenetic activity, with little substance and no real results.

b.The Mindset to Debunk. The mindset to "debunk" is alive and well. It is held at all levels, and continues to pervade the POW-MIA Office, which is not necessarily the fault of DIA. Practically all analysis is directed tp finding fault with the source. Rarely has there been any effective, active follow through on any of the sightings, nor is there a responsive "action arm" to routinely and aggresively pursue leads. The latter was a moot point, anyway, since the Office was continously buried in an avalanche of "ad hoc" taskings from every quarter, all of which required an immediate response. It was impossible to plan ahead or prioritize courses of action. Any real effort to pursue live sighting reports or exercise initiatives was diminished by the plethora of "busy work" projects directed by higher authority outside of DIA. A number of these grandiose endeavers bordered on the ridiculous, and -- quite significantly -- there was never an audit trail. None of these taskings was ever requested formally. There was, and still is, a refusal by any of the players to follow normal intelligence channels in dealing with the POW-MIA Office.

c.Duty,Honor and Integrity. It appears that the entire issue is being manipulated by unscrupulous people in the Government, or associated with the Government. Some are using the issue for personal or political advantage and others use it as a forum to perform and feel important, or worse. The sad fact, however, is that this issue is being controlled and a cover-up may be in progress. The entire charade does not appear to be an honest effort, and may never have been.

d.POW-MIA Officers Abandoned. When I assumed the Office for the first time, I was somewhat amazed and greatly disturbed by the fact that I was the only military officer in an organization of more than 40 people. Since combatants of all Services were lost in Vietnam, I would have thought there would at least be a token Service representation for a matter of the "highest national priority." Since the normal mix of officers from all Services is not found in my organization it would appear that the issue, at least at the working level, has, in fact, been abandoned. Also, the horror stories of the succession of military officers at the C-5 and C-6 level who have in some manner "rocked the boat" and quickly come to grief at the hands of the Government policy makers who direct the issue, lead one to the conclusion that we are all quite expendable, so by extrapolation one simply concludes that these same bureaucrats would "sacrifice" anyone who was troublesome or contentious as including prisoners of war and missing in action. Not a comforting thought. Any military officer expected to survive in this environment would have to be myopic, an accomplished sycophant, or totally insouciant.

e.The DIA Involvement. DIA's role in the affair is truly unfortunate. The overall Agency has generally practiced a "damage limitation drill" on the issue, as well. The POW-MIA Office has been cloistered for all pratical purposes and left to its own fortunes. The POW Office is the lowest level in the Government "efforts" to resolve the issue, and oddly for an intelligence organization, has become the "lightening rod" for the entire establishment to the matter. The policy people manipulating the affair have maintained their distance and remained hidden in the shadows, while using the Office as a "toxic waste dump" to bury the whole "mess" out of sight and mind to a facility with the limited access to public scrutiny. Whatever happens in ths issue, DIA takes the blame, while the real players remain invisible. The fact that the POW-MIA Office is always the center of an investigation is no surprise. Many people suspect that something is rotten about the whole thing, but they cannot find an audit trail to ascribe blame, so they attack the DIA/POW-MIA "dump", simply because it has been placed in the line of fire as a cheap, expendable decoy.

f."Suppressio Veri, Suggestio Falsi". Many of the puppet masters play a confusing, murky rols. For instance, the Director of the National League of Families occupies an interesting and questionable position in the whole process.

Although assiduously "churning" the account to give a tawdry illusion of progress, she is adamantly opposed to any initiative to actually get to the heart of the problem, and, more importantly, interferes in or actively sabotages POW-MIA analyses or investigations. She insist on rewriting or editing all significant documents produced by the Office, then touted as the DIA position. She apparently has access to top secret, codeword message traffic, for which she is supposedly not cleared, and she recieved it well ahead of the DIA intelligence analysts. Her influence in "jerking around" everyone and everything involved in the issue goes far beyond the "war and MIA protestor gone straight" scenario. She was brought from the "outside", into the center of the imbroglio, and then, cloaked in a mantle of sanctimony, routinely impedes real progress and insiduously "muddles up" the issue. One wonders who she really is and where she came from.

4.CONCLUSIONS:
a.The Stalled Crusade. Unfortunately, what began on such a high note never succeeded in embarking. In some respects, however, I have managed to satisfy some of my curiosity.

b.Everyone is Expendable. I have seen firsthand how ready and willing the policy people are to sacrifice or "abandon" anyone who might be perceived as a political liability. It is quick and facile, and can be easily covered.

c.High-Level Knavery. I feel strongly that this issue is being manipulated and controlled at a higher lever, not with the goal of resolving it, but more to obfuscate the question of live prisoners, and give the illusion of progress through hyperactivity.

d."Smoke and Mirrors". From what I have witnessed, it appears that any soldier left in Vietnam, even inadvertently, was, in fact, abandoned years ago, and that the farce that is being played is no more than political legerdemain done with "smoke and mirrors", to stall the issue until it dies a natural death.

e.National League of Families. I am convinced that the Director of this organization is much more than meets the eye. As the principal actor in the grand show, she is in the perfect position to clamor for "progress", while really intentionally impeding the effort. And there are numerous examples of this. Otherwise it is inconceivable that so many bureaucrats in the "system would instantaneously do her bidding and humor her evey whim.

f.DIA's Dilemma. Although greatly saddened by the role ascribed to the Defense Intelligence Agency, I feel, at least, that I am dealing with honest men and women who are generally powerless to make the system work. My appeal and attempt to amend this role perhaps never had a chance. We all were subject to control. I particularly salute the personnel in the POW-MIA Office for their long suffering, which I regrettably was unable to change. I feel that the Agency and the Office are being used as the "fall guys" or "patsies" to cover the tracks of others.

5.RECOMMENDATIONS:
a.One Final Vietnam Casualty. So ends the war and my last grand crusade, like it actually did end, I guess. However, as they say in the Legion, "je ne regrette rien..." For all of the above, I respectfully request to be relieved of my duties as Chief of the Special Office for Prisoners of War and Missing in Action.

b.A Farewell to Arms. So as to avoid the annoyance of bein shipped off to some remote corner, out of sight and out of the way, in my own "bamboo cage" of silence somewhere, I further request that the Defense Intelligence Agency, which I have attempted to serve loyally and with honor, assist me in being retired immediately from active military service.

MILLARD A. PECK
Colonel, Infantry
USA

Sean Osborne

Col. Peck's resignation letter is one of the grandest indictments I have ever read, even though I am not surprised at all by the incendiary content. This indictment validates everything I have learnt and believe about the POW-MIA issue for over three decades.

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
Sickening, isn't it. A Malachi 3:16 moment. So many of those these days, and we only get to see a tiny part of the whole picture and that, imperfectly. How great the love and patience of The Lord? And how terrible His wrath when He finally lets loose....

:hide

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
According to retired Colonel Joe Schlatter (MIA Facts) who was Mike Peck's immediate predecessor and headed up the DIA's efforts regarding MIA-POWs, the Peck resignation letter is a load of baloney. His comments on it can be found at Compiled Nonsense. The content of that link is reproduced below:
Compiled Nonsense

Summary. Task Force Omega of Kentucky is an MIA cult organization that consists of a half-dozen members with Internet access. On their website one finds the following compilation of nonsense ... snipped from the TF Omega of Kentucky website. I have reproduced this compilation of nonsense without comment and have followed it with a version in which I inserted facts.
Quote from the TF Omega of Kentucky website.
[h=1]The Task Force Omega of Kentucky, Inc.
Live POW/MIA Report
[/h] [h=3]Note to the reader: When I read this report, it made my blood boil. The evidence is so clear that it is inconceivable to think our own government could do this to its own patriotic servicemen. How could they leave them to rot in Vietnamese prisons?[/h]
exphorsa.gif

[h=3]April 3, 1973: Pathet Lao (Laotian Communist) forces declare they are holding more than 100 American POWs and are prepared to give a full accounting of them The U.S. government responds 9 days later declaring they are all dead -- without ever talking to the Laotians about the POWs they admit holding.

1970-1976: After the French pay an unspecified sum of money to the Vietnamese, the communists release POWs captured in 1954! The North Vietnamese had claimed all of then had died.

June 25, 1981: Defense Intelligence Agency Director Eugene Tighe testifies before the House Subcommittee on Asian/Pacific Affairs that live American POWs remain in Southeast Asia.

December 7, 1984: The Washington Times reports that Bobby Garwood, released by Vietnam 1979, saw up to 70 live captive Americans long after the war ended.

June 28, 1985: The Washington Times reports DIA Director Lieutenant General Eugene Tighe testified Hanoi is still holding at least 50-60 live American POWs.

October 15, 1985: The Wall Street Journal reports that National Security Adviser Robert McFarlane says live American POWs remain in Southeast Asia.

August 19, 1986: The Wall Street Journal reports the White House knew in 1981 Vietnam wanted to sell an unspecified number of live POWs for $4 billion. The White House decided the offer was genuine -- and ignored it!

September 30, 1986: The New York Times reports a Pentagon panel estimates up to 100 live American POWs are held in Vietnam alone.

October 7, 1986: CIA Director William Casey says: "Look, the nation knows they (the POWs) are there, everybody knows they are there, but there's no grounds well of support for getting them out. Certainly, you are not suggesting we pay for them, surely not saying we could do anything like that with no public support."

January 1988: A cable from the Joint Casualty Resolution Center states that during General Vessey's visit to Hanoi, "The Vietnamese people were prepared to turn over 7 or 8 live American POWs if Vessey told then what they wanted to hear. All the prospective returnees were allegedly held in a location on the Lao side of the border."

June 10 1989: The Washington Post reports a Japanese monk released after 13 years in a Vietnamese prison had American POW cellmates who nursed him to health.

September 1990: The Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Interim Report on POW/MIAs in Southeast Asia concluded that despite public assurances in 1973 that no POWs remained in the region, the Defense Department " . . . in April 1974 concluded beyond a doubt that several hundred American POWs remained in captivity in Southeast
Asia."

October 1990: Vietnamese Foreign Minister Nguyen Co Thach admits Vietnam still holds American POWs but is willing to release "as many as 10 live American POWs." His offer, like others before it, is ignored by Secretary of State James Baker III.

February 1991: Colonel Millard Peck, Chief of the Pentagon's Special Office for Prisoners of War and Missing in Action, resigns in protest of being ordered by policy makers in the POW/MIA Inter-Agency Group not to investigate live-sighting reports of American POWs.

April 25, 1991: Senator Bob Smith addresses the Senate and reveals that, of more than 1,400 eyewitness sightings of live POWs, NONE has ever received an on-site investigation!

May 23, 1991: The Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Examination of U.S. Policy Toward POW/MIAs concludes that the U.S. has ignored thousands of American POWs, and left them to rot in Soviet slave labor camps and North Korean and Vietnamese prisons. "Any evidence that suggested an MIA might be alive was uniformly and arbitrarily rejected."

Summer 1991: A flood of new evidence of live POWs pours from Southeast Asia: pictures, handwriting samples, hair samples, blood samples, fingerprints, foot-prints, maps and other physical proof. The Bush administration disregards the evidence and attempts to discredit
it by rumor and innuendo. Some of the photos are scientifically validated and have never been scientifically disproved!
[/h]
exphorsa.gif
All these facts are a matter of public record and clearly indicate that we have some serious problems in the POW/MIA arena that our elected officials refuse to acknowledge.

This information was compiled by Task Force Omega of Kentucky, Inc.
End quote from TF Omega of Kentucky website.

The Facts Are Considerably Different

The following is the same item quoted above with facts inserted. Facts are inserted in this typeface and color.

The Task Force Omega of Kentucky, Inc.
Live POW/MIA Report

Note to the reader: When I read this report, it made my blood boil. The evidence is so clear that it is inconceivable to think our own government could do this to its own patriotic servicemen. How could they leave them to rot in Vietnamese prisons?
exphorsa.gif

April 3, 1973: Pathet Lao (Laotian Communist) forces declare they are holding more than 100 American POWs and are prepared to give a full accounting of them The U.S. government responds 9 days later declaring they are all dead -- without ever talking to the Laotians about the POWs they admit holding.

Read the article at
Laos: No Mystery for the facts about Pathet Lao declarations on US POWs. The preceding statement is misleading and omits many facts.

1970-1976: After the French pay an unspecified sum of money to the Vietnamese, the communists release POWs captured in 1954! The North Vietnamese had claimed all of then had died.

Not true. In 1972, 40-something French soldiers returned to France from Vietnam. They were all deserters, all were known to the French government, none were prisoners. In the late 1980s, the French and Vietnamese concluded negotiations and agreed that the French would exhume the remains of over 25,000 French troops buried in military cemeteries in Vietnam. TFOmega has, once again, produced misleading information by mixing fact and fiction.

June 25, 1981: Defense Intelligence Agency Director Eugene Tighe testifies before the House Subcommittee on Asian/Pacific Affairs that live American POWs remain in Southeast Asia.

During his entire tenure, General Tighe testified that there was no proof of US POWs remaining in SEAsia.

December 7, 1984: The Washington Times reports that Bobby Garwood, released by Vietnam 1979, saw up to 70 live captive Americans long after the war ended. Read this article for the facts on Garwood's "live sightings."

June 28, 1985: The Washington Times reports DIA Director Lieutenant General Eugene Tighe testified Hanoi is still holding at least 50-60 live American POWs.

During his entire tenure as Director of DIA, General Tighe testified that there was no proof of US POWs remaining in SEAsia. After he retired, he began to claim that he had seen information that led him to conclude that US POWs remained in SEAsia. He started by stating "2 to 3" and finally climbed to "50 or 60." He never produced any proof of his claims nor did he ever explain why he said one thing on active duty and another after he retired.

October 15, 1985: The Wall Street Journal reports that National Security Adviser Robert McFarlane says live American POWs remain in Southeast Asia.

Not exactly. I do not have the quote but this is not what McFarlane said.

August 19, 1986: The Wall Street Journal reports the White House knew in 1981 Vietnam wanted to sell an unspecified number of live POWs for $4 billion. The White House decided the offer was genuine -- and ignored it!

This is a well known scam.

September 30, 1986: The New York Times reports a Pentagon panel estimates up to 100 live American POWs are held in Vietnam alone.

I was assigned to the DIA Special Office for POW-MIA Affairs in 1986 (1986 - 1990) and I guarantee that no "Pentagon panel" reached such a conclusion.

October 7, 1986: CIA Director William Casey says: "Look, the nation knows they (the POWs) are there, everybody knows they are there, but there's no grounds well of support for getting them out. Certainly, you are not suggesting we pay for them, surely not saying we could do anything like that with no public support."

Not exactly. Former Congressman Billy Hendon met with Bill Casey before Casey died. After Casey's death, Hendon claimed that Casey uttered the above words during their meeting. Other CIA officials who were in the meeting stated that Casey never said any such thing. Casey, of course, was dead and could not clear up the matter — which is what Hendon intended.

January 1988: A cable from the Joint Casualty Resolution Center states that during General Vessey's visit to Hanoi, "The Vietnamese people were prepared to turn over 7 or 8 live American POWs if Vessey told then what they wanted to hear. All the prospective returnees were allegedly held in a location on the Lao side of the border."

This is a JCRC report of a phony report. A source reported to the JCRC that such a swap wold be offered -- investigation showed that the source was a fraud and his story was bogus. For an article about bogus reporting, follow this link.

June 10 1989: The Washington Post reports a Japanese monk released after 13 years in a Vietnamese prison had American POW cellmates who nursed him to health.

Read this article on the Japanese monk.

September 1990: The Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Interim Report on POW/MIAs in Southeast Asia concluded that despite public assurances in 1973 that no POWs remained in the region, the Defense Department " . . . in April 1974 concluded beyond a doubt that several hundred American POWs remained in captivity in Southeast Asia."

This report was actually done by members of the minority staff of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Read this article and this article for more about this misleading and inaccurate report.

October 1990: Vietnamese Foreign Minister Nguyen Co Thach admits Vietnam still holds American POWs but is willing to release "as many as 10 live American POWs." His offer, like others before it, is ignored by Secretary of State James Baker III.

No Vietnamese official has ever made such a statement. Every statement ever made by a Vietnamese official has denied that they held US POWs after the war.

February 1991: Colonel Millard Peck, Chief of the Pentagon's Special Office for Prisoners of War and Missing in Action, resigns in protest of being ordered by policy makers in the POW/MIA Inter-Agency Group not to investigate live-sighting reports of American POWs.

Mike Peck was my replacement as Chief of the DIA POW-MIA Office. He was a loon. Mike resigned a few hours before being relieved for incompetence.

April 25, 1991: Senator Bob Smith addresses the Senate and reveals that, of more than 1,400 eyewitness sightings of live POWs, NONE has ever received an on-site investigation!

Read this article for facts on the "
live sighting reports."

May 23, 1991: The Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Examination of U.S. Policy Toward POW/MIAs concludes that the U.S. has ignored thousands of American POWs, and left them to rot in Soviet slave labor camps and North Korean and Vietnamese prisons. "Any evidence that suggested an MIA might be alive was uniformly and arbitrarily rejected."

Again, this is a statement by POW-MIA "activists" on the Committee staff. Read more about this "report" here.

Summer 1991: A flood of new evidence of live POWs pours from Southeast Asia: pictures, handwriting samples, hair samples, blood samples, fingerprints, foot-prints, maps and other physical proof. The Bush administration disregards the evidence and attempts to discredit it by rumor and innuendo. Some of the photos are scientifically validated and have never been scientifically disproved!

In the summer of 1991, three phony photos surfaced. Each of the photos claimed to show US POWs in captivity — each of the photos was bogus and was clearly demonstrated to be bogus. Read this article for the facts.
exphorsa.gif

All these facts are a matter of public record and clearly indicate that we have some serious problems in the POW/MIA arena that our elected officials refuse to acknowledge.

This information was compiled by Task Force Omega of Kentucky, Inc.

Well, actually, all this indicates is that Task Force Omega of Kentucky has taken false reports and bogus claims, mixed them with a few facts that are quoted selectively, and published this mythology as "fact." Of course, this is the way the MIA cult operates.

November 16, 2000

Of course, those whom Col. Schlatter accuses as twisting the facts turn around and accuse him of the same thing. I suppose the only thing we can thus deduce is that ONE of the DIA Special Office for MIA-POW chiefs was a wacko. But which one?

In support of Col Schlatter is the following testimonial from the site (http://www.geocities.ws/koratmahknut/vietnam/cultmyths.htm) of another Vietnam War vet:

A Man of Honor
Veterans Day 2000

I take great joy in being able to help pass along the word of truth and facts related to the Vietnam War Era, its casualties and tribute to those that gave it all and those that are listed as M.I.A. (Missing in Action) today.

- Also, special acknowledgement to the following veteran

Don Thompson
Zoomie (BushBug) U.S.A.F.
ACA #3460 (Air Commando Association)
TLCB #335 (Thailand-Laos-Cambodia Brotherhood)
Commando Motto: "Any Time, Any Place"
[email protected] Littleton, California

Fabricating stories and myths by MIA cult members seems to be the "rule of the day" these days ... Taking advantage of the grief of MIA families and those that have lost a love one in 'Nam is so prevalent in our society today -- it is like a dreaded plague of vultures.

"So, what do I know about it?"

Colonel Joe Schlatter's credentials are impeccable! A career-Army Officer, man of honor and senior staff member for D.I.A. (Defense Intelligence Agency) and for the Defense POW-MIA Office (D.P.M.O.) for several years up and to his retirement from the Army, his web site you can find at http://www.miafacts.org with some 75 articles providing insight into his findings and personal experience on the job. I believe it is no (small) coincidence that his career retirement came at the end of his last assignment with D.P.M.O., if you catch my drift ... 1 April 95.

Credentials - February 1986 - July 1990
Feb 86 - Dec 88:
Dec 88 - Jul 90: Chief, Analysis Branch, D.I.A. Special Office for POW-MIA Affairs
Chief, D.I.A. Special Office for POW-MIA Affairs
Jul 1993 - Mar 1995: Deputy Director, D.P.M.O. .. Retirement 1 April 95
Feb 1969 - Feb 1970: Vietnam Veteran, 2/13 Field Artillery

Some background on myself, Specialist Sixth Class E-6 Francis J. Picchione - served from November '66 to April '77 with a short tour of duty in the Hawaiian National Guard in '78. My assignments were all in the administrative area from Company Clerk in Thailand to Computer Programmer at the Pacific Headquarters in Honolulu where the Army authorized me to attend college full-time to complete my bachelor's degree studies and graduation. In 1967, the Army gave me the opportunity to attend Artillery O.C.S. (Officer Candidate School) and I allowed it to slip away ... In 1973, the Army provided me with another opportunity of honor and pride, to represent the U.S. Army and my comrades in the Command Honor Guard Company as a Squad Leader.

This - being Veterans Day 2000- is another point of pride and circumstance for me to take some of the skills the Army provided for me to learn in computer programming and publish for all of you to read and I believe enjoy the "fruit of knowledge" and truth about a conflict that took my generation of men and women to war and the great sacrifices made by over 50,000 Americans.

"May the truth be known!"

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
"May the truth be known" indeed! Having read articles on both sides of this issue from combat veterans ... most of whom had a lot more experience than Col. Schlatter, I guess it all comes down to whom you choose to believe. It is simply a he said/she said (in this case he said/he said) controversy and there are reputable (even if the Colonel turned out not to be) people on both sides. :shrug

The one thing I know for a fact is that one day God WILL reveal the truth of this matter and every eye will see and every ear hear it!

micah719

Still reading this report from the same site:

AII POW-MIA Transfer or '77' Page Report
AII POW-MIA Transfer or '77' Page Report

A complex issue with wide implications.

If it is true, then it is not surprising it is so confused.

If it is false, then a more convincing rebuttal would have killed it ages ago. If you consider the danger of the members of the military losing confidence in their masters, it would be most prudent for those in the know to convincingly and conclusively clear up the question and prevent it resurfacing from time to time.

Is there any documentation that refutes the allegations given in Col. Peck's letter of resignation?

Shall we discuss Senator McCain's involvement in the MIA/POW matter in this thread, or start another?

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
If it is false, then a more convincing rebuttal would have killed it ages ago.
Respectfully bro, the most convicing rebuttals have not ended Elenin/Nibiru/Planet X, Aliens from other planets, FEMA camps, Illuminati, 9/11 conspiracists, etc, etc, ad nauseam. An attempt at a convincing rebuttal holds no sway among conspiracy theorists; it only encourages them to deeper conspiracies. Indeed rebuttals only confirm their fears.

I am far more interested in studying God's Word and applying it to ALL areas of my life than in putting effort into these other things. Surely our God is holding the reins of our lives and has surrounded our paths with his guiding light. Surely He indeed is our Rock and our Shield. Why should we worry about what man can do? God sees the pits before we get there and He causes the schemes of the enemy to come to naught. For me that is end of story, bro. There is more than enough in the reading of God's Word, the communion with Him every day, and the serving of our fellow man (both the saved and the unsaved) to keep us busy. These other things are ALL simply distractions (and I believe "Satanically designed distractions") to lure the Christian from our proper focus and service.

micah719

Hmmmm, it's all as clear as mud. One thing is for sure....the Missing and their grieving relatives have been exploited for dishonest gain, either by the charlatans that seeking funds for the "search", people unwilling to admit and accept loss, politics of all flavours, and any combination of these and probably lots more.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next Astronomical Observation of Panet Nibiru gathering at the local Fema camp with my alien buddy Zorg. He might be an Illuminist scumbag and have the misfortune of being hatched at 11:11 am on the 9th of November (why do you Transatlantics quote dates back-to-front btw? :scratch:), but he does tell interesting stories about how he helped Elvis shoot fake footage of Moonlandings from their clandestine NSA studio on Mars.

Until then, your reminder of priorities is taken on board. Sorry to introduce distractions, that wasn't my intention. Whatever the elusive truth in this matter is, we won't know about it in this life. Still, it is revolting to see what depths people go to in order to make a quid.

Here is a proposal from the site you quoted, it seems reasonable:

:lobster posted in full from:
A Proposal

MIA Facts Site
A Proposal

Summary. For too long, actions by and information from the U. S. government and from MIA activists have fed the mythology that U. S. personnel were abandoned in captivity at the end of the Vietnam War. The facts are straightforward: No U. S. personnel were held in captivity after the end of Operation Homecoming in Spring, 1973.

As in all wars, there are men who were lost and who will never be recovered. The
U. S. Department of Defense is searching for the missing from Vietnam with an effort never before seen anywhere in history. Yet, the myth persists that the government is covering up information, is lying to families, and is doing nothing. It is past time to stop the nonsense.

This proposal, if adopted, will go a long way to doing just that. Many who read this proposal will become angry with me, including some old friends. Popularity is not the purpose here. The purpose is to restore good sense and reason, to end the kabuki theater that has characterized this issue for too long, and to still honor the sacrifice made by brave men.
1. No More Inquiries

It is past time to stop the official and unofficial inquiries and investigations. They do nothing but feed the mythology. The public perception is: If there are no men alive, if all POWs were returned in 1973, why are we spending taxpayers' money to conduct yet another investigation?

The ink was hardly dry on the signatures to the Senate Select Committee Report in 1993 when Senator Bob Smith was calling for more investigations. At this writing (December 1997), there is legislation pending in the House of Representatives that would establish yet another special investigating committee.

Stop it.

(UPDATE. Here we go again. As of March 2, 1999, Rep. King of NY has introduced H. Res. 16, a bill to establish a Select Committee on POW-MIA Affairs.)
2. Get Real With the Numbers

At the time of this writing (December 1997), the U. S. government lists over 2,000 Americans as missing in Indochina.

This figure is shamefully misleading and it should no longer be used.

Yes, over 2,000 men did not return from Vietnam. But, this in no way translates to 2,000 men who were or could have been captured and never released. In fact, at the end of the war, the number of missing was about half the current 2,000 figure. In the late 1970s, the government caved in to pressure from a family lobby and added to the approximately 1,200 missing another nearly 1,200 who were listed as Killed In Action - Body Not Recovered, thereby overnight doubling the number of "missing men."
Findings of Death

At the end of the war, there was a small number -- no more than two dozen -- of men whose fates were uncertain. Everyone else was known to have died in their loss incident, or, information later developed led to the conclusion that they were all dead. In the late 1970s and continuing well into the 1980s, each of the military services held boards of review to examine every shred of evidence known about each missing man. In every case, these review boards issued presumptive findings of death. The very best available information on the missing men led to the conclusion that these men died in their loss incidents.

One man, USAF Captain Charles Shelton, continued to be carried in a POW status as a purely symbolic gesture. This was done is spite of the fact that evidence from camp guards indicated that Shelton had died of a combination of illness and malnutrition.
Re-examination of the Loss Evidence

Beginning in the early 1990s, the Vietnamese opened their country to U. S. search teams and to U. S. analysts searching through their archives. From these efforts is emerging previously unknown information about lost Americans and their fates. Some of the information being turned up includes:

bullet Photographs of the bodies of Americans who were known to have been lost but never heard from again. These men were shot to death avoiding capture, or died of injuries shortly after capture.
bullet Eyewitness accounts of the deaths of Americans or of finding American bodies.
bullet Official Vietnamese listings of the results of aircraft losses, indicating that the bodies of aircrews were "destroyed," "shredded," and the like.
bullet Official records, journals, and reports; unofficial and personal memoirs, diaries, and journals kept by Vietnamese soldiers and others during the war.

In every case investigated to date for which archival or eyewitness information has been developed, that information corroborates what we already knew about the missing men. None survived. Yes, we have developed a number of cases in which we believe there is a high likelihood that remains can be recovered or that there may be more evidence in Vietnamese archives. In no case has any information been developed to indicate that men remained alive in captivity after 1973.
Some Will Never Be Recovered

Most of the 2,000 will never be recovered. Over 400 men were lost at sea. Another 400-plus are "off-the-scope" -- they went on a mission and were never heard from again. Others died in aircraft explosions or crashes and their bodies were shredded at the time of loss. Some were buried by enemy troops in battlefield graves that will never be discovered.

3. State That They Are All Dead

The U. S. government, not just the Department of Defense, should state that all missing men are dead, that they died in or shortly after their loss incidents, that a small number died in captivity, but that no one was left behind in captivity.

4. Stop the Extraordinary Observances

The attention being paid to prisoners and missing from Vietnam feeds the mythology and keeps wounds open.
Stop POW Recognition Day

Continuing POW Recognition Day only supports the view that there must be something out there if the government is paying it this much attention. Veterans' Day and Memorial Day provide adequate opportunity to recognize and honor the sacrifices made by veterans -- living, dead, former prisoners, and still missing.
Lower the Flag

The ubiquitous black-and-white POW flag needs to be seen less. There is now legislation requiring the flag to be flown over all federal buildings on certain holidays. Stop it. The national flag is the one that American soldiers have fought under since our founding. Use it if you need to honor anyone with a flag.
5. Publicize What Is Being Done

Most Americans, even many family members, do not know of the full extent of the work that is being done to determine the fates of missing men. U. S. personnel are stationed permanently in the countries of Indochina for the sole purpose of seeking out details on loss incidents and on the fates of missing men. This effort is unprecedented in our history and in the entire history of warfare. This story needs to be told.

6. Terminate "COIN ASSIST"

During the Vietnam War, the Vietnamese, their allies and supporters (including pro-Vietnamese "peace" groups in the U. S.) used the matter of American POWs as propaganda and negotiating leverage. Families of POWs and missing men were subjected to false and misleading information appearing in the media. Some were even approached directly by various "peace" groups with information about their family member; this information was sometimes true, often not true, but always painful.

To counter this information, the U. S. government mounted an intense effort of keeping families informed. On the front lines of this effort were the military service casualty offices. These offices maintained contact with families, providing them with accurate, verified information on their missing man and on the issue in general.

Another action the U. S. government took was to initiate annual briefings in Washington where families could come to a central location, hear reports from officials, see their missing man's file, talk with casualty officers, and meet with each other for mutual support. Recognizing that many families could not afford the air fare, the Department of Defense initiated a program called "COIN ASSIST" -- "Counter-Intelligence Assistance." Under this program, families had only to report to one of several designated Air Force bases. There, they would be flown on regularly-scheduled Air Force aircraft to Washington, and be returned to the base of origin after the meetings in Washington were over.

This practice continues up to this day, with a slight modification. Beginning in 1996, families of missing men from the Vietnam War were given a commercial airline round-trip ticket for travel from their home to Washington, D.C., and back., not travel on USAF aircraft.

While this practice was necessary during the war, and possibly for a few years after the war, it has long outlived its need.
bullet In the first place, there is an extensive information campaign in place to keep families informed. Every family who can be contacted has been provided with the complete files on their missing man and the service casualty offices stand ready to provide files to those who do not have them. The casualty offices spend untold hours working with families to answer their questions on the missing man. The Defense POW-MIA Office holds family meetings all over the country several times a year so that analysts, researchers, and casualty officers can meet with families who cannot travel to Washington.
bullet In the second place, COIN ASSIST benefits a private, independent lobbying organization, the National League of Families of Prisoners and Missing in Southeast Asia. If it were not for the free transportation provided to Washington, the League would not be able to hold its annual meetings, which are scheduled hand-in-hand with COIN ASSIST travel.
bullet Finally, families of missing men from no other conflict are accorded such treatment. Frankly, I am surprised that family members from Korea have not sued for COIN ASSIST travel for themselves.

Continuing COIN ASSIST simply continues to feed the belief that there must be something out there because why else would the government do this.
7. Take a Bold Step

This issue neeeds a White Paper that:
bullet lays out what the true numbers are,
bullet details the extraordinary efforts to determine the fates of missing men,
bullet takes a clear stance that all are dead, that they died in or shortly after their loss, or died in captivity,
bullet states clearly that no one was abandoned in captivity,
bullet states clearly there is no evidence of U.S. POWs being taken to third countries,
bullet states the possibility of a small number of deserters in Vietnam of elsewhere, and
bullet concludes that, sadly, most of the "missing" will not be recovered.
In Conclusion

I have no illusions that my proposal will be adopted in part or in whole. I am fully aware that the actions I have proposed here will upset many and positively anger some, including old friends. Others, however, will nod in agreement.

Acknowledging the facts will not cause a single missing man to be "abandoned" and will not cause a slackening of efforts to recover as many men as possible. To the contrary, stating the obvious will honor them far more than continuing to have them be objects of mythmakers and charlatans.

Update: For another statement on this matter, read this April 15, 2001, editorial from the Los Angeles Times.

Sean Osborne

Baloney?

Col. Millard Peck's 12 FEB 91 resignation as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency's Special Office on POWs is as legit as the day is long. Congressional hearings (public and executive session) were held on the conspiracy charges he levied.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/18186-1