The Parable of Two Men

Ruth

I try to keep the lesson of this parable in mind when I pray to be sure I am in the right frame of mind and then I probably fail greatly.

Luke 18 The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable:

10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

TomT

Didymus
Thanks - Great insight.

We should never attempt to pray without fiirst confessing our own (specific) daily sins - otherwise our prayers tend to bounce back off the ceiling....

1st John 1:8 - 9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

BuzzardHut

Bird Mod
We have a loving God who chose to send His Son to pay for our sins.

We have the Holy Spirit that continually washes and cleanses our spirit from sin.

Let us always continue in daily confession to God, moment by moment, renouncing our sins and shortcomings, and giving thanks to God that He has provided our path to salvation, continual cleansing, and the promise of a new body without sin. :yeah: :flex

Back