The opposite of Pre-trib terminology?

Narrow Path

Amillennialism seems like the most commonly used term I hear used when speaking of a non-pre trib rapture perspective. But it doesn't seem like the direct opposite of pre-trib. For example, the Catholic environment I grew up in wouldn't espouse either a pre-trib or the notion that we are currently living in the millennial reign to my understanding. (I'm not trying to single out Catholics, that was just my experience). Part of the problem seems to be that many of those who don't believe in a pre-trib, have never bothered to study it enough to even understand the differentiation. Again, like my siblings, they mostly don't have a defined opinion of how the end times will play out other than "someday Christ comes back". They have no thoughts towards how events take place as a lead up to that. With that said, I don't think they believe we are living in the age off the millennial reign. Maybe its just pure ignorance, and they are amillennial by default and just don't know it?

Is there a better term to pit in direct opposition to being pre-trib?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Amillennialism seems like the most commonly used term I hear used when speaking of a non-pre trib rapture perspective. But it doesn't seem like the direct opposite of pre-trib. For example, the Catholic environment I grew up in wouldn't espouse either a pre-trib or the notion that we are currently living in the millennial reign to my understanding. (I'm not trying to single out Catholics, that was just my experience). Part of the problem seems to be that many of those who don't believe in a pre-trib, have never bothered to study it enough to even understand the differentiation. Again, like my siblings, they mostly don't have a defined opinion of how the end times will play out other than "someday Christ comes back". They have no thoughts towards how events take place as a lead up to that. With that said, I don't think they believe we are living in the age off the millennial reign. Maybe its just pure ignorance, and they are amillennial by default and just don't know it?

I think the term they give to these people are Post-trib believers.

They think that Christians must go through the tribulation to prove their faith by not taking the mark of the beast before Jesus raptures them.

That's just a very general view of the beliefs of post trib believers, but to me personally it beggars the question are they truly saved if they are believing that their works is what is going to get them raptured ?

JSTyler

Other terms that are thrown around that make for interesting mulling over; (my paltry definitions are very...paltry)
Preterism - The belief that most if not all prophecy has been fulfilled.
Christian Reconstructionism - The church will build a kingdom to which the Messiah can return.
Dominionism - The church creates it's own nation thus allowing the Messiah to return and reign.
You mentioned amillennialism, and there's mid/post-trib. There are all "opposites".

Or;

How about fallacy? :wink2

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Am noticing more and more that people are mocking the pre trib position, to me it is no longer a secondary issue as hundreds of thousands of church leaders are joining the “kingdom now” bandwagon...

Yeah, preterism (everything revolving around AD70), dominionism (modern day Constantine) and reconstructionism (which denies the truth of Jesus building his church successfully for the past 2000 years and seeks to “redeem the culture”) abound. Another one which is verrrrrrry sneaky and abounds this time of year is “social justice gospel” changing the mission of the church sharing the Gospel ...into a charity organisation where we can join hands with our “near neighbours” :sarcasm the Hindus and Muslims to help the poor ....

Yeah different terms I’ve heard ... postmillenialism, amillenialism, preterists, partial preterists, reconstructionism, pre wrath, dominionism ....

Have just had a thought, they may as well call themselves Augustinians as he was pushing “kingdom now” centuries ago!!
There may be more terms they use ....all I know is it takes the full
picture of the Bible and Bible prophecy and seeks to stand it on its head!

Last edited:

Narrow Path

Most of these terms, I've heard of, but have never really used enough for the meaning to sink in. I think preterism is probably the best fit. The funny thing is that the preterists, in my experience, usually don't know that they fall into this classification. In other words, most of them have no idea what you're talking about if you refer to them as a preterist.

JSTyler

Most of these terms, I've heard of, but have never really used enough for the meaning to sink in. I think preterism is probably the best fit. The funny thing is that the preterists, in my experience, usually don't know that they fall into this classification. In other words, most of them have no idea what you're talking about if you refer to them as a preterist.
Yes! You nailed it.

And if they do know the term, they tend to say something along the lines of, "I don't really know what you mean." Or, "That's not what I believe," as they lay out their dogma in text-book preterist fashion...followed closely buy replacement theology of course. The two fallacies are conjoined twins of ideology.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
People should be rightly dividing the truth by the :bible word of God. People try to interpret it, and take scriptures out of context. 2 separate events we have been raptured, I Thessalonians 4:14-18 and the second coming with Jesus! Revelation 19:11-14

Last edited:
Back