The night I met Jesus...

It was late August of 2008, and I was headed down to Sioux Falls, SD, with some single’s friends for the annual Life Light festival. I had heard that my all-time favorite music artist, Michael W. Smith, was going to be there, and I didn’t want to miss his concert. So we left Watertown, headed down for the festival. We got to our hotel, and as we checked in for the weekend, I told my friends I couldn’t wait to hear Michael sing, but in reality, I was fighting demons in my life they didn’t know about. I was in a dark and lonely place, feeling alone and lost, and I didn’t think anyone could help me, not even God. However, I didn’t say anything to any of my friends.

The afternoon of the concert came, but I just couldn’t get excited because of how bad I felt inside. I felt so alone and helpless, lost and dejected. I felt I had to keep a smile on my face for my friends even though it was hard to do. Soon evening fell, and I got ready to go up by the stage where Michael was performing. It was just before his A New Hallelujah CD came out, but none of that mattered because of how bad I felt at that time in my life.

The time came and I got as close to the concert stage as the crowd would let me. Then Michael came on stage and I started to cheer with the crowds. But in my heart I felt like I wanted to die. I’d never felt this low before, and I didn’t know what to do. I started to hear him singing, but it was too much. The demons took over fully, and I started to cry. The more I heard him sing, the harder I cried out, tears streaming down my face. I couldn’t take it anymore.

Then the music changed, and he started to sing another song. Many of the people in the crowd started to lift their hands, so I did the same thing, raising my right hand toward the sky. I looked up with my tear-stained face, still crying, and saw a star in the night sky. It twinkled brightly, and all of a sudden I saw the outline of the face of Jesus. I immediately heard His voice say, “My child, you are so tired from fighting. Here let me pull you up.” I physically felt Him pull my outstretched hand, and then He was gone.

I couldn’t believe it! I dropped my hand, and started crying again, this time tears of joy. I finished the concert, and ran back to where my friends were, telling them all about it. To this day I will never forget how God saved my life through Michael W. Smith's music.