"The Mystery Man Exhibition"

AimeeP

Have any of you heard of this Mystery man exhibition/Man in the Holy Shroud? It is an art exhibit of six rooms, based on Jesus throughout history. The sixth room contains a "hyperrealistic, scientific based sculpted reconstruction" of Jesus. It is 5'10" and 165 lbs. Right now it is on display at Salamanca cathedral in Spain. I found it deeply disturbing.

Jaybird

I just did a search on this after reading your comments. The Shroud of Turin is an interesting topic. I have read many articles concerning the scientific research done on it and it seems genuine. No one can explain with any scientific proof how the image was made on the cloth.

Is it miraculous?

Who really knows?

As Christians we don't need a piece of cloth or even the Holy Grail to prove the divinity of Jesus since we believe by faith.

I did see a show a few years ago where they were able to reconstruct the face that was on the cloth into a three dimensional portrait.

This show you referred to takes this a step further and shows the entire body and head.

There is no doubt that the Shroud of Turin is a very controversial relic.

athenasius

In the old Testament one of the kings (Hezekiah) destroyed the actual bronze serpent on the rod that had been preserved to his time as a relic.

God was pleased. It had become an idol to the people. In the very verse after we read that he did what was right in the sight of the Lord we read of him crushing the bronze serpent that MOSES had made.

If the shroud of Turin is really the burial cloth of Christ and the image burnt into it is from the resurrection of the Lord then it is all the more important that we DON'T focus on the shroud but rather the risen Lord.

It would become all too easy to make an idolatrous image of our Lord and Saviour and fall down and worship the image rather than the Lord God Himself. And that was the problem in Israel that Hezekiah dealt with. And God was pleased that he did so.

The story is in 2 Kings 18 here in the NASB

18 Now it came about in the third year of Hoshea, the son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah became king.

2 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned for twenty-nine years in Jerusalem; and his mother’s name was Abi the daughter of Zechariah.

3 He did what was right in the sight of the Lord, in accordance with everything that his father David had done.

4 He removed the high places and smashed the memorial stones to pieces, and cut down the Asherah. He also crushed to pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the sons of Israel had been burning incense to it; and it was called Nehushtan.

5 He trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel; and after him there was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, nor among those who came before him.

6 For he clung to the Lord; he did not desist from following Him, but kept His commandments, which the Lord had commanded Moses.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I know of some people here locally who have made several trips to some place in the former Yugoslavia where there's been some apparitions of Mary... supposedly. People get totally taken in by anything and everything but the Truth. God is everywhere and we can speak to our Creator directly. We can hear Him through His Word that he's given us. Relics are a devilish distraction.

Jaybird

I agree. In the Middle Ages there was a lot of devotion to relics and it became a big business to claim having the relics (typically bones or clothing from "saints"). Many people would travel to the Churches to see these "relics." In fact, you can still see many of these in Churches throughout Europe. This was primarily a RCC thing during that time period. The Shroud of Turin is somewhat different in that no one has been able to determine how the image was made on the cloth. Years ago there was a scientific analysis conducted on the cloth. In fact, one of the scientist researchers rejected his atheism and turned to Christ. As I said, it is interesting to say the least, but I don't need a piece of cloth or bone or clothing to believe in the Truth. I just look out my window and see his glory in nature or look up in the sky.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
The shroud is absolutely a fake if you believe that the Bible is the Word of God, and absolute truth.

The Bible says that the soldiers ripped out Jesus' beard:

"I gave My back to those who struck Me, And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting." (Is 50:6 NKJV)

It also says that He was beaten until He was unrecognizable:

"Just as many were astonished at you, So His visage was marred more than any man, And His form more than the sons of men;" (Is 62:14 NKJV)

Its fake.