The Message Bible?

Psalm73

what do you all think about The Message? It's a recent translation-some guy sat dow and trnaslated the Bible into modern language; and sometimes the message actually does get muddled in the message. Example:

" 16-18"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him."
John 3:16- 18.

Thank goodness for copy- paste.

As a general rule, I avoid The Message because of things like the muddled John 3:16 mentioned above, but I'll admit: I have used it a couple of times when I didn't understand something in the NIV.

But, anyway, what's your opinion on The Message translation?

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
It's the Mess of the Age. Utter trash, corrupted and twisted to cater to corrupted and twisted hearts, see Jeremiah 17:9, and itching ears, see 2 Tim 4:3-4. Go to the KJV and Amplified, and be prepared to dig into a good Concordance and Dictionary. And of course, pray first for the Counselor to give you understanding.

Meg

Yea, Micah beat me to it for the second time today. The Message is a mess all right. Its a really badly worded translation, and should be avoided. I don't use paraphrases any more, but I did use one called The Book back when I was first reading Isaiah and having trouble with it. Is The Book clean, y'all?

mattfivefour

It is not a translation, it is a paraphrase. Some paraphrases are useful. NLT, for example. The Message is not. It is filled with erroneous interpretations and often couched in New Age termssuch as:

Romans 15:13

The Message:
Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope!

Ephesians 4:6

The Message:
. . . One God and Father of all, who rules over all, works through all, and is present in all. Everything you are and think and do is permeated with Oneness.

I recommend reading the following article for more information: http://www.life-everlasting.net/Pages/Corrections/Why the Messege bible should NOT be used.htm. However I most definitely do NOT recommend ANY of the links at the bottom of that article. Read the article, skip the links.

Instead, I would recommend this one: http://www.francesandfriends.com/content/message-bible-continues-new-age-terminology

Robert

In short: "The Message" is to Holy Scripture what chrome plating is to PURE SILVER.

"The words of the LORD are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times." (Psalm 12:6, NASB, emphasis mine)

Another comparison is the one made between the word of God and a sword; The Message has all the cutting power of a LIMP NOODLE. But God says this of his WORD and NOT a weak, new-age paraphrase:

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do." (Hebrews 4:12-13, KJV, emphasis mine)

Back