The Lost Apollo of Gaza

Barbasol

The Apollo of Gaza: One fisherman's amazing catch

From the time of The Romans rule?

Good pictures at link: BBC News - The Apollo of Gaza: One fisherman's amazing catch

A statue thought to be an ancient bronze of Apollo, Greek God of poetry and love, has dropped off the radar after being found in the sea off Gaza last summer and surfacing briefly on eBay. It is 2,500 years old and priceless.

Jawdat Abu Ghurab used to be a builder but in 2007 Israel restricted the delivery of building materials to the Gaza strip, so he became a fisherman like his father.

He only has a small boat so never goes out far, and catches only small fish. One day last August, though, the 29-year-old from Deir al-Balah ended up with a very different haul.

His uncle was also fishing that day, but gave up early. Ghurab kept going.

"I stayed alone in the sea with a small boat and paddle, I waited for hours and did not imagine what fate had in store for me in the depths of the sea," he says.

"Sometimes waves move the bottom of the sea, small fish go to that spot in search of food, I saw the fish congregate in an area not far from the coast, only 100m out, so I rowed out there and, immersed in the sea, I saw the body of a person, half-buried under the sand."
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

My wife covered her face when she saw him lying naked in the house - she begged me to cover it”

Jawdat Abu Ghurab

At first Ghurab was scared. He stared into the water but did not recognise the man's face. When he dived in and touched the body it felt like stone.

"I tried to move it, to make sure that it was a statue, but it was too heavy," he says. "The colour was golden so it was easy to think it was gold."

Ghurab marked the spot and went back to the beach to fetch his relatives. They returned and dived down together - it was at a depth of about four metres, Ghurab estimates.

"We were able to slide it under the water for a metre or two metres and then go up again to take a breath and try again," he says.

After four hours they succeeded in getting the object out of the water. It was the statue of a naked man. They loaded it on to a cart and took it to Ghurab's house.

More at the link above.

;

EnRapturedwithChrist

It's kind of sad that the discoverer of this archeological find (a hard working fisherman) is likely to be cheated out of any money for his discovery.

Likely, terrorists will make a profit somehow. :thumbdown

On the other hand, it is a pagan statue of an evil god so if it got ground into dust, that would be fine by me. :)

Back