The Life Giving Water

Abed_nego2

John 4:14, “But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life”

Revelation 22:17, “… whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely”

A story is told about a pastor who was preaching on Revelation 22:17. The day was hot and some people had trouble paying attention. The heat bothered the pastor too, so from time to time he would take a drink of water. After each sip he would say, “Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.” In the congregation was a little boy. Each time the pastor lifted the sparkling glass of water to his lips, the boy’s thirst increased. Finally he decided that if the pastor said once more, “Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely,” he would go to the front and take a drink for himself. Just then the inviting words rang out once more. Resolutely the little fellow left his seat and walked up to the pulpit. The congregation watched in astonishment as the youngster picked up the glass and took a deep swallow. Then with a kind “Thank you, pastor!” he returned to his seat. The pastor was moved and used the incident to make a spiritual point. He said that we must accept God’s invitation and drink of the Living Water by faith if we are to be saved.

So many people stay spiritually thirsty because they don’t listen to the Lord’s clear and simple invitation to take and drink from the life giving water that only He can provide. If you haven’t repented of your sin, do so today, and trust Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Further thoughts:

While writing this my thoughts went to the story of the nameless Samaritan woman at the well, recorded for us in the Gospel of John. The story of the Samaritan woman follows the account of Jesus’ interaction with Nicodemus, a Pharisee and prominent member of the Jewish Sanhedrin (John 3:1–21). In John 4:4–42 you can read about Jesus’ conversation with a lone Samaritan woman who had come to get water from a well (known as Jacob’s well) located about a half mile from the city of Sychar in Samaria.

She was a Samaritan, people the Jews absolutely scorned as having no claim to their God. She was an outcast and looked down upon by her own people. This is evidenced by the fact she came alone to draw water from the community well. During biblical times, drawing water and chatting at the well was the social highpoint of a woman’s day. She had been ostracized and marked as an unmarried immoral woman living openly with the sixth in a series of men.

This story teaches us that God loves us in spite of our sinful lives and wants us to have a personal relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ. As a result of Jesus’ conversation, only a person like the Samaritan woman, an outcast from her own people, could understand what this meant. To be wanted, to be cared for when no one, not even herself, could see anything of value in her … this is indeed grace. There are many valuable truths and lessons that we can glean from this story – such as:

(1) Only through Jesus Christ can we obtain and receive eternal life. John 4:13–14, “Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life”. John 14:6, “Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. People today will tell you there are many ways to heaven; however, our Lord says that He is the only way to the Father. Believe this and you will have eternal life.

(2) Jesus’ ministering to those outcasts of the Jewish society (the Samaritans) reveals that all people are valuable to God and that Jesus desires that we demonstrate love to everyone . . . including even our enemies (John 4:7–9; Matthew 5:44).

(3) Jesus is the Messiah (John 4:25–26; 1:41; Matthew 27:22; Luke 2:11).
(4) Those who worship God, worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:23–24; Psalm 145:18).

(5) Our testimony about Jesus Christ is a powerful witness in leading others to believe in Him: “Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, ‘He told me everything I ever did.’” When the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers. They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world”’ (John 4:39–42).

(6) Salvation comes only to those who confess and repent of their sin and desire forgiveness that only Jesus Christ can give because salvation is found in no one else (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). Before this immoral woman could embrace the Savior, she had to concede the full burden of her sins (just as each of us must). Accepting Christ as Savior, one is born again, and filled with the Holy Spirit and this Spirit’s presence and power in one’s life make all the difference in the world.

Unless one drinks now of the “Water of Life,” you will thirst forever!