The Kingdom Parables--Matthew 13

cavalier973

I have listened to several Bible teachers--Jack Kelly being the most recent--discuss the Kingdom Parables in Matthew 13.

It isn't clear to me if the teachers think these parables apply to the Church Age, or to the Millenial Kingdom.

Dr. Andy Woods makes a detailed case about the "Kingdom of Heaven" not,being the Church, but rather a literal Davidic Kingdom on the Earth

On the other hand, some of the parables, according to Jack Kelly, could refer to the Church--the parables of the mustard seed, the leaven in the fellowship offering, and the pearl of great price.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do these parables describe the Kingdom Age, The Church Age, or,both, or neither?

athenasius

some of the parables, according to Jack Kelly, could refer to the Church--the parables of the mustard seed, the leaven in the fellowship offering, and the pearl of great price.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do these parables describe the Kingdom Age, The Church Age, or,both, or neither?
We had a good article by Chuck Missler (he is now with the Lord) explaining how these parallel the Church age. It was in the last year and Chris posted it, but I can't remember where.

I went looking, and found some other great Chuck stuff, which I bumped up so as not to lose track, but I didn't find the article I was looking for.

I remember Adrian @mattfivefour chimed in encouraging us to check into the parallels, I know I answered in on it. I remember the mustard seed growing into a huge tree was Laodicean while the pearl of great price was linked to Philiadelphia in some fashion but I'm foggy on it now.

Last edited:

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
We had a good article by Chuck Missler (he is now with the Lord) explaining how these parallel the Church age. It was in the last year and Chris posted it, but I can't remember where.

I went looking, and found some other great Chuck stuff, which I bumped up so as not to lose track, but I didn't find the article I was looking for.

I remember Adrian @mattfivefour chimed in encouraging us to check into the parallels, I know I answered in on it. I remember the mustard seed growing into a huge tree was Laodicean while the pearl of great price was linked to Philiadelphia in some fashion but I'm foggy on it now.
@athenasius
This it?

https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-study/the-mustard-seed/

ragamuffin

I have listened to several Bible teachers--Jack Kelly being the most recent--discuss the Kingdom Parables in Matthew 13.

It isn't clear to me if the teachers think these parables apply to the Church Age, or to the Millenial Kingdom.

Dr. Andy Woods makes a detailed case about the "Kingdom of Heaven" not,being the Church, but rather a literal Davidic Kingdom on the Earth

On the other hand, some of the parables, according to Jack Kelly, could refer to the Church--the parables of the mustard seed, the leaven in the fellowship offering, and the pearl of great price.

I agree with Dr. Andy Woods' teaching on this topic, these parables are all directed at the Kingdom... Jesus says so very clearly himself:

v11 "Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven..."
v19 "When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not..."
v24 "Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto..."
v33 "Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like..."
v44 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like..."
v45 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like..."
v47 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like..."
v52 "Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven..."

I think Jesus was precisely clear that he was talking about the kingdom. I don't see the church mentioned here anywhere... or the Age of Grace which is this dispensation we find ourselves in right now.

I absolutely love Jack Kelley... but, I think he got these parables wrong. A publisher for a few of Dr. Andy Woods books has a podcast series on this subject that is excellent and echo's Dr. Woods explanations of these parables. You can search for the podcast series "Parables of Jesus" if you want to give it a listen. The graphic for this podcast series is of a bearded man looking down at a boy praying in front of him.

Back