The "I'm listening" Broadcast

yrrek

I read an article today about how John Cooper is doing a broadcast for suicide prevention month. For those who don't know him, he is a believer. His music I wouldn't say is worship but a lot of his stuff you can tell is influenced by his faith. You can google it and find many articles on it. This subject touches my heart. I've struggled with depression, PTSD and all that since I was 8. My first suicide attempt was at age 10. So many people out there struggle and we are so afraid to speak. There's too much judgment. Especially if you're a believer. It's hard to admit you have a problem when you know people will treat you differently. Reaching out to a pastor was my last resort. And it was the best thing for me at the time. He connected me with a very good Christian therapist. Since my last attempt, I often think about how blessed I am that Jesus reached me. I know that if he wasn't there, I'd be in Hell right now. Or at least there would be a good chance of it. Now I know the truth and it has helped me fight these thoughts. But, the thing that I have discovered is that no matter what I do, those feelings will never go away. They can improve, lighten up a little but never fully disappear. I believe that is the thorn in my side. But, I know now that I am not alone. The Holy Spirit has carried me so many days in my journey. I cannot wait for the new body and mind waiting for all us believers. For those who struggle, you are not alone either. Not only is the Holy Spirit by your side but also there are others out there who face the same fires. It wasn't until I began to talk that the burden has lifted. Before finding Deb, all I would ever get from a believer is an onslaught of bible verses that just made me feel worse in the end. A very strong Christian woman told me to stop giving the devil the victory and to decide not to be depressed. Tried it... didn't work. Many Christian therapists and scientists agree that trauma and other factors can cause depression. Jesus heals. I do believe that. But if you're not there yet, I am listening. I guess that's the point of this post. To reach out to those who may be afraid. I won't judge. I've been there. So, if you are struggling, having a bad day or just need to tell your story, I am listening.

Sowen

I'm so glad you found a believing therapist.

For those who struggle, you are not alone either. Not only is the Holy Spirit by your side but also there are others out there who face the same fires. It wasn't until I began to talk that the burden has lifted.
Amen. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story because it's something that many Christians silently struggle with, and unfortunately, they end up taking their own lives to end the torture.

It can be especially difficult for a Christian to speak up because we're supposed to have God with us, so surely, that means we don't get clinically depressed... right? Wrong. Just as physical illness can afflict a believer, mental illness can as well.

Sometimes, the cause of mental illness can be easily fixed with the right meds and diet. Other times, the cause is something more serious with the brain such as neurological conditions caused by disease or injury, and the fix isn't as simple. But either way, talking about it rather than hiding it is the first step to treatment.

yrrek

I'm so glad you found a believing therapist.

Amen. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story because it's something that many Christians silently struggle with, and unfortunately, they end up taking their own lives to end the torture.

It can be especially difficult for a Christian to speak up because we're supposed to have God with us, so surely, that means we don't get clinically depressed... right? Wrong. Just as physical illness can afflict a believer, mental illness can as well.

Sometimes, the cause of mental illness can be easily fixed with the right meds and diet. Other times, the cause is something more serious with the brain such as neurological conditions caused by disease or injury, and the fix isn't as simple. But either way, talking about it rather than hiding it is the first step to treatment.
Most of my issues were brought on by a traumatic, turbulent childhood. My biggest problem was recognizing my identity in Christ. Because my parents didn't love me, I had a hard time believing God did. In my mind, I believed He was only saving me because he said he'd save anyone who would ask. Not sure why I didn't think he truly wanted to. That was just a bad thought I guess. When I started to go to church and become involved in a bible study I learned the truth about God and it changed that struggle. I don't struggle with the feeling of worthlessness anymore but the physical damage is still there. Now when I feel down there is no reason. It's just a low point. I always hate when people believe that having Jesus instantly makes all trouble go away. Instead, it gives us the power and strength to make it through it all. Being open about the struggles and knowing the truth has set me free. It opened up a door for other women at my church to share theirs. You never really know how close you're being watched. One woman told me that she admired me for being so open. I guess I figure if someone's gonna judge me they will regardless of what they know. When I heard about some of the celebrities that took their own lives I could emphasize with them. Because I know the pain and know how it feels to be on the edge. It's not that people really want to die. It's that they want to end the continuous pain they feel inside.

yrrek

I suffer from anxiety and depression. My therapy is church and throwing myself into my work, and using my feelings to drive my creativity.
I'm glad you have something to help you. Church has always been a big anchor to hold onto. Some of the ways I coupe is music and painting.

aldanielle

I read an article today about how John Cooper is doing a broadcast for suicide prevention month. For those who don't know him, he is a believer. His music I wouldn't say is worship but a lot of his stuff you can tell is influenced by his faith. You can google it and find many articles on it. This subject touches my heart. I've struggled with depression, PTSD and all that since I was 8. My first suicide attempt was at age 10. So many people out there struggle and we are so afraid to speak. There's too much judgment. Especially if you're a believer. It's hard to admit you have a problem when you know people will treat you differently. Reaching out to a pastor was my last resort. And it was the best thing for me at the time. He connected me with a very good Christian therapist. Since my last attempt, I often think about how blessed I am that Jesus reached me. I know that if he wasn't there, I'd be in Hell right now. Or at least there would be a good chance of it. Now I know the truth and it has helped me fight these thoughts. But, the thing that I have discovered is that no matter what I do, those feelings will never go away. They can improve, lighten up a little but never fully disappear. I believe that is the thorn in my side. But, I know now that I am not alone. The Holy Spirit has carried me so many days in my journey. I cannot wait for the new body and mind waiting for all us believers. For those who struggle, you are not alone either. Not only is the Holy Spirit by your side but also there are others out there who face the same fires. It wasn't until I began to talk that the burden has lifted. Before finding Deb, all I would ever get from a believer is an onslaught of bible verses that just made me feel worse in the end. A very strong Christian woman told me to stop giving the devil the victory and to decide not to be depressed. Tried it... didn't work. Many Christian therapists and scientists agree that trauma and other factors can cause depression. Jesus heals. I do believe that. But if you're not there yet, I am listening. I guess that's the point of this post. To reach out to those who may be afraid. I won't judge. I've been there. So, if you are struggling, having a bad day or just need to tell your story, I am listening.
This gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. I have had a wonderful therapist for the last 4 years, she isn’t a Christian therapist, but she is a therapist and she is a Christian. I like you, have a thorn in the flesh of the same sort. I’m glad you are here. Thank you for sharing. I will be praying for you. If you ever need to reach out, I’m here.

Sowen

Most of my issues were brought on by a traumatic, turbulent childhood. My biggest problem was recognizing my identity in Christ. Because my parents didn't love me, I had a hard time believing God did. In my mind, I believed He was only saving me because he said he'd save anyone who would ask. Not sure why I didn't think he truly wanted to. That was just a bad thought I guess. When I started to go to church and become involved in a bible study I learned the truth about God and it changed that struggle. I don't struggle with the feeling of worthlessness anymore but the physical damage is still there. Now when I feel down there is no reason. It's just a low point. I always hate when people believe that having Jesus instantly makes all trouble go away. Instead, it gives us the power and strength to make it through it all. Being open about the struggles and knowing the truth has set me free. It opened up a door for other women at my church to share theirs. You never really know how close you're being watched. One woman told me that she admired me for being so open. I guess I figure if someone's gonna judge me they will regardless of what they know. When I heard about some of the celebrities that took their own lives I could emphasize with them. Because I know the pain and know how it feels to be on the edge. It's not that people really want to die. It's that they want to end the continuous pain they feel inside.
Well said.

I always hate when people believe that having Jesus instantly makes all trouble go away.
I think this needs more emphasis in the church because it misleads people which causes more hurt and isolation. It also contradicts real life, and most importantly, that's not what Scripture teaches at all.

Instead, it gives us the power and strength to make it through it all.
You nailed it because that's what Scripture actually teaches, so it helps tremendously to know that truth, and I'm so glad you now know it.

Thank you for sharing. You've said something that I hadn't considered before which has given me a new perspective to help someone I love in fighting this insidious monster. She has a very similar story to yours.

yrrek

Thanks for the kindness. I was actually afraid to post this because I wasn't sure if I would get judgement or understanding. I'm thankful that God has given me so many people in my life... and online that He can speak through. It is another reminder to me that the same Spirit that is in me is also in my brothers and sisters.

A good verse for someone struggling would be Isaiah 61:1-3

1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on Me,
because the LORD has anointed Me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives
and release from darkness to the prisoners, a
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
and the day of our God’s vengeance,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 to provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to give them a crown of beauty for ashes,
the oil of joy for mourning,
and a garment of praise for a spirit of despair.
So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.