The great falling away is ramping up

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Concerning the OP Title...Yes, apostacy and heresy is steamrolling across the land and those who have never understood the Scripture or the way of salvation are ripe to fall into the trap. Let's not forget the emotionalism factor either. Many who do know the way refuse to acknowledge it is the only way would rather offend the Savior and quench the Spirit than offend a friend, acquaintance or family member. So sad...but true!

MyhopeisinHim

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Mom stopped going to the Lutherine church when I was about 5. She never went back to any church and never really talked about any religion. I used to go with dad to talk to the neighbors on the farm after chores were done in the summer. They acknowledged that there was a God, but I don't recall them mentioning Jesus. About this time I remember looking up at the stars and thinking that they didn't just happen someone made them all. Neighbors took us kids to their church sometimes. (Church of God) and they talked Jesus and Salvation, but I didn't hear the right message to move me.

As a child mostly need to hear about Jesus and Salvation from their parents! Not the teacher. Not friends. Not school. From Parents.

Besides the Holy Ghost, I credit my maternal Grandmother and the Sunday School teacher, Molly. I came to saving faith at age 3 in a Lutheran Church. Remember it like it was last week :thankyou FATHER!!! JESUS!!! HOLY GHOST!!! :thankyou

Not all parents are good at teaching their kids, so other Godly people in a child's life need to use their gifts to do so. Although my parents are Christians, they weren't great at teaching their faith, although they did model it and would answer questions the best they could. They made sure we went to Sunday School (not perfect attendance by any means), Vacation Bible School, and Confirmation so we would learn, and we did the common, everyday things like grace before dinner One of my siblings and I sang in the Church HS choir.

If parents know they aren't good at this most critical of tasks, they need to get another trusted family member or someone in the Church to help. No different than homeschooling or not based on parents' ability to teach.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Besides the Holy Ghost, I credit my maternal Grandmother and the Sunday School teacher, Molly. I came to saving faith at age 3 in a Lutheran Church. Remember it like it was last week :thankyou FATHER!!! JESUS!!! HOLY GHOST!!! :thankyou

Not all parents are good at teaching their kids, so other Godly people in a child's life need to use their gifts to do so. Although my parents are Christians, they weren't great at teaching their faith, although they did model it and would answer questions the best they could. They made sure we went to Sunday School (not perfect attendance by any means), Vacation Bible School, and Confirmation so we would learn, and we did the common, everyday things like grace before dinner One of my siblings and I sang in the Church HS choir.

If parents know they aren't good at this most critical of tasks, they need to get another trusted family member or someone in the Church to help. No different than homeschooling or not based on parents' ability to teach.
I also gotta give credit to my parents bringing me to church and Sunday school and my grandmother saying the Lords prayer with me everytime before i use to go to bed when i was a child.

All that seed planting has now blossomed praise be to God Almighty

Len

I am blessed my two children are serving the Lord, as are their children. But oh! the pain they suffered on the road to salvation! Oh! the baggage they still bear! All because when they were young I talked a good game ... but did not walk it at home. :cry I thank God they have forgiven me. I thank God we love each other deeply. But oh! the pain that pierces my heart when I see them struggling with some issue that I know has grown out of my failure to be a good father so many years ago.
that was a bit of a reflective tonic for me Matt54 and helpful to hear...... I am still good at talking the walk unfortunately..... Praise the Lord that 2 of your family serve God!

Wings Like Eagles

Sounds like the fruits of that foolish book 'The Shack' that ripped through the church with breathless acceptance. Another gospel, Jesus and Holy Spirit...... :ohno
I haven't read that book (nor do I intend to read it) but even hearing about it, gave me nausea. We had almost two thousand years of the Bible being accepted as the word of God and these Johnny-come-latelies think that they are entitled to distort and even "rewrite" the facts stated in Scripture?? These people are heading for a rude awakening.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I haven't read that book (nor do I intend to read it) but even hearing about it, gave me nausea. We had almost two thousand years of the Bible being accepted as the word of God and these Johnny-come-latelies think that they are entitled to distort and even "rewrite" the facts stated in Scripture?? These people are heading for a rude awakening.

Think it's a whole lot more than just a rude awakening

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 3:13-17, KJV

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Revelation 22:18-21, KJV

:cloud9 There is something really comforting about the last verses in the Bible :cloud9

:bouncies

:pray :pray :amen :amen

GotGrace

More than 60% of born again Christians in America between the ages of 18 and 39 believe that Buddha, Muhammad and Jesus are all valid paths to salvation and over 30% say they either believe that Jesus sinned just like other people when He lived on Earth or aren’t sure, according to a new study.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/60-of-young-adults-say-jesus-isnt-the-only-way-to-salvation.html
I have to question that they are born again because Jesus explicitly tells us he is the only way and no man cometh to the Father except by him.

Let me be clear here in redneck language - there ain’t no other way.

Wings Like Eagles

I have to question that they are born again because Jesus explicitly tells us he is the only way and no man cometh to the Father except by him.

Let me be clear here in redneck language - there ain’t no other way.
Or, as one of my Christian friends (she has since gone to be with the Lord) used to say, "A Christian is someone who is Blood-bought, then, Bible-taught and Spirit-wrought." Amen.

Radah

More than 60% of born again Christians in America between the ages of 18 and 39 believe that Buddha, Muhammad and Jesus are all valid paths to salvation and over 30% say they either believe that Jesus sinned just like other people when He lived on Earth or aren’t sure, according to a new study.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/60-of-young-adults-say-jesus-isnt-the-only-way-to-salvation.html
Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life and no man comes to the father but only by me.

MapleLeaf

The article didn't specify where this was so all I can think is, was this survey conducted in Portland? Or that CHAZ place? I just can't wrap my mind around that number.

Bethlehem57

So did they not get it from their folks or from the preacher? They obviously don't have the truth.
There are some (I have a dear BIL) who knows the absolute truth, but because of skewered parenting (mom was severely mentally ill and father legally blind/hadicapped....yep, mom ran the show), his viewpoint has ranged from dying and then coming back again and again until “he gets it right, ” to “I’m a good person, I help my fellow human, ...., so I'm saved.”

What's interesting is that my DD and he had a conversation a few weeks ago and he mentioned that he thought that I didn't think he was saved. I really was shocked! Usually he acts like I'm there but he doesn't really come across as being interested in much of anything I have to say. My response to DD was, “why does he think it's important that I don't think he's saved?”

DD had just gotten back from Mission to DC and used this opportunity to show him the difference between someone who tries to work for salvation from one who is freed by the work already accomplished by Jesus on the cross. She did a really good job of getting him to understand the difference!

Her technique was something that one of our pastors uses in these types of circumstances and she has come out of her shell in finding common ground with another person and leading the conversation eventually to the Gospel. There are a lot of people ripe for this truth. We need to be active in our every day lives to seek them out. The Holy Spirit guides and gives direction and always, before and after prayer is a must to reach the lost for Christ!

Time is running out! There's work to be done!

Wings Like Eagles

The article didn't specify where this was so all I can think is, was this survey conducted in Portland? Or that CHAZ place? I just can't wrap my mind around that number.
The number of believers in Canada appears to be quite small today--but the remnant who are here, appear to be true believers. That may be influencing our perspective. Interestingly, there are some number of Catholics here, who read and study the Bible, rejecting un-biblical indoctrination from the Vatican and the hierarchy. I think there is a similar movement among Catholics in the U.S.

Radah

There is a huge difference between a religious person and someone who has actually "Admitted they are a sinner in need of a Savior (Jesus)" "Believed in the Gospel of Jesus Christ for our salvation" and "Confessed with your mouth and believed in their heart Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior" The religious man says Lord Lord have I not done many great works in your name? The humble man says I don't deserve your gift Lord but I Love you and I accept you as my Lord and Savior with all my love and faith. Jesus takes the humbled tax collector. It really all comes down to pride and many of today's religious people across all denominations are so very proud of what they have done, what they are doing, and what they will do for the Lord and they absolutely do believe that saves them and they call it works + faith. It really is sad but pride is so very powerful in a world like today where people are lovers of themselves.

In addition to the young folks and unsaved world 'falling away' from God, I have to throw in a fair number of adult Christian believers as well.

Sadly, I'd estimate that 50% of the folks that attended our 2nd service every Sunday 18 months ago haven't been seen at church since the lockdown last year closed our doors and we immediately went to putting our service live on Facebook (we went back to in-church services 3-4 months later and still put it live on FB). So perhaps a good number of them simply want to be safe rather than sorry. They also fail to show up for the Lords' Supper which we observe monthly. How scared are they? When's the last time they opened Gods' engrafted Word? No one but they themselves know. Considering I wasn't saved until 22 years ago at age 51, I know it's far easier to stay in bed than to get up, etc, and go to church every Sunday. No, I'm not 'church police' that wonders why folks don't show up. But I do know this...5 of our 'regular' church members, myself included, have been treated for cancer in the past 18 months and we STILL make it to church! Interestingly, us 5 are all over age 50. Of note, too, is I'd estimate that the majority of the MIA folks are over 40. Granted, we've lost some members moving out of town or, in some instances, unhappy for whatever reason at our church and moved to another one within the past 12 months.

Being a senior citizen has thinned our ranks at church, though usually temporarily. Heart attacks, back, hip, and knee surgeries, and other common 'age related' issues has failed to stop the believers returning to church as soon as they are physically able to do so.

Maybe the 'falling away' (I had to correct my typing 'failing away', which might be more appropriate) is more related to 'baby' and 'young' Christians than to those firmly established in the Word, 'mature' Christians. Perhaps the challenges of parenting and working causes a lack of time for God and His Word and prayer. Like any other activities, 'God time' needs to be 'scheduled' in addition to short notice fellowship with other believers ('how about dinner?) or their suddenly needing help such as a need to 'talk' or, in my case, come un-screw-up their computers.

Could the 'bottom line' cause of the falling away simply our EGO? (Easing God Out) Considering all the non-stop distractions of cell phones and the under 50 folks literally 'glued' to their cell phones, it's easy to be more engrossed in that and putting God on the 'back burner' for 'when I get time'. The good news is that 'once saved, forever saved'. The bad news is that Satan has effectively neutralized them as far as being Christian workers and doing what He called them to do.

Please read Kerbluey's thread about God's Will vs Worrying.

I should add that my online icon at a couple of hobby oriented sites is an image of Alfred E. Neuman, as in 'What? Me Worry?" GOD is in control 100%! More than any of us will ever know until we see Him!

Andy C

:bibleII Timothy 4:2-3.
Good verse, although you made me have to actually do some work by looking it up…..vice posting it…:biggrin

2 Timothy 4

2Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.