The Great Convergence Fizzle

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The Great Convergence Fizzle
By Dr. David R. Reagan

The September 2015 issue of Charisma magazine featured stories on its cover about Bible prophecy. Collectively, they were billed as "The Great Convergence."

I was glad to see a major Christian magazine feature Bible prophecy on its cover. Unfortunately, most of the articles in the magazine were devoted to sensationalist nonsense like the Blood Moons, the Shemitah, and Newton's Riddle. These articles reflect a type of prophetic fanaticism that gives the whole field of eschatology a bad reputation.

The Blood Moon Theory pointed to September 28 as a crucial date. The Shemitah Theory singled out September 23. And Newton's Riddle also focused on September 23. Thus, the "convergence" featured on the magazine's cover.

All of this proved to be "much ado about nothing."

That was no surprise to me because it was all based on human speculations rather than biblical prophecies.

Take the Blood Moons for example. In an article we published in the Lamplighter issue of March-April 2014, I concluded that the whole Blood Moon Theory was devoid of any factual basis. The author of the theory, Mark Biltz, pointed out that four blood moons in a row over a two year period of time (called a tetrad) is a very rare phenomenon which has occurred only 87 times since the time of Christ. Even rarer is when these four blood moons fall on Jewish feast days. That has happened only eight times since the First Century.

Biltz claimed that the last three of the feast tetrads had served as omens of major events among the Jewish people, and therefore he concluded that the next one, scheduled for 2014-2015, would serve as a warning of a major event in Israel.

Now stop and think about this for a moment. The first five feast tetrads had no prophetic significance whatsoever. And what the proponents of the theory conveniently overlooked is that two of the last three really had no significance as omens of anything. The one that occurred in 1493-1494 came after the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492, and the one in 1949-1950 also came after the re-establishment of Israel in 1948.

That leaves only the feast tetrad of 1967-1968 as having any significance since the Six Day War began and ended after the first blood moon in that sequence.

So, in fact, only one out of eight feast tetrads have had any prophetic significance. That's not a good track record. And keep in mind that when you say "something important is going to happen" in Israel during any two year period of time, you are not going out on much of a limb. Nor is it true prophecy to speak so vaguely. The prophecies contained in the Bible are very specific and precise.

And then there is the ridiculous "prophecy" called Newton's Riddle. Sir Isaac Newton, the great 17th Century scientist, interpreted Daniel's prophecy of the 70 Weeks of Years (Daniel 9:25-27) to mean that the Tribulation would begin 49 prophetic years (360 day years) after Jerusalem is re-established as the capital of Israel. That occurred on June 7, 1967, and 17,640 days later (49 years x 360 day years) would be September 23, 2015, the Day of Atonement.

The problem is that Newton's interpretation of Daniel's prophecy completely scrambles it. Daniel speaks of seven weeks of years (49 years) followed by 62 weeks of years (483 years) followed by one week of years (7 years). To come up with his calculation, Newton decided to place the 49 years after the 483 years when there is absolutely no contextual justification for doing so.

That leaves us with Jonathan Cahn's Shemitah Theory for the crash of the American economy on September 23. As I pointed out in an article in the January-February 2015 issue of the Lamplighter, Cahn's first error was to take a law given to Israel only (Leviticus 25:20-21) and apply it to a Gentile nation. His second error was his arbitrary decision to start his count of Shemitah years in 1917 when the Balfour Declaration was issued rather than 1948 when the nation of Israel was re-established.

He obviously chose 1917 because it enabled him to place the Shemitah years at a couple of times when the stock market crashed. In other words, his calculation of Shemitah years is manipulated. Further, one of the Chief Rabbis of Israel has declared that the Shemitah law will not even start applying to Israel again until more than half of the world's Jews have returned to that nation.

The lesson from all this is that we need to focus our attention on the end time prophecies of the Bible and not on the fanciful speculations of men.

http://www.raptureforums.com/FeaturedCommentary/thegreatconvergencefizzle.cfm

Hol

Worships Him
It surprised me how disruptive man's speculation could be, and even our little fellowship here are RF hit a few bumps. Before the September events came & went I thought it was harmless to speculate, but I now better understand that any sort of man made speculation can be a serious matter.

Philadelphia

The lesson from all this is that we need to focus our attention on the end time prophecies of the Bible and not on the fanciful speculations of men.

AND the REAL lesson is that we need to focus our attention on the end-times main character--our Beloved Jesus--and not even on the prophecies themselves.

Its something I admit I am guilty of from time to time. It's just that I want to see Him SO MUCH!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It surprised me how disruptive man's speculation could be, and even our little fellowship here are RF hit a few bumps. Before the September events came & went I thought it was harmless to speculate, but I now better understand that any sort of man made speculation can be a serious matter.

Then it makes everything we went through here for the last month or so worthwhile. We needed to "sift" the board so to speak and get rid of destructive things that were going on here. Our mission here at Rapture Forums is to declare the Good News and to try hard to represent the Lord in the best way we can by showing people the REAL truth of Bible prophecy. We stumble at times, just like everyone else, but we get up and learn from our mistakes. And march forward for the Lord!! :armor

God bless you Hol!

Wes K

AND the REAL lesson is that we need to focus our attention on the end-times main character--our Beloved Jesus--and not even on the prophecies themselves.

Its something I admit I am guilty of from time to time. It's just that I want to see Him SO MUCH!

Me too! I want to be with Jesus so much, in my eternal sinless glorified body, and out of this evil fallen world. I admit I learned some valuable lessons lately. I need to be more thankful for each day God gives me in this life instead of constantly hoping and thinking today is the day for the rapture. I still hope and think that each day will be the day, but in the past, too often I was allowing the rapture to control me and my life instead of the Lord Jesus. Here's a video that was very helpful to me and touches on this topic. He covers how harmful date setting and looking for signs can be

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
I stood my ground. I believed the moons were nothing more than signs of the glory of God. We always need to use discernment and it is something we must exercise. This past couple of blood moon years have been an exercise in discernment.

I would like to say that there were quite a few reasons for many to follow what was being said. In 1988 Edgar Whisenhut published "88 reasons to believe the rapture would happen in '88'. " I fell for that one and was disappointed. [I was not pastoring at the time but on the steps of Bible College]. It sure taught me a lesson in discernment. If you fell for this use it as a learning experience.

But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:14)

I did not allow that experience 28 years ago to trip me up. I kept looking and waiting and watching and will continue to fervently do so, knowing that He will come and as Jesus said at an hour we do not expect Him to.

Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. (Luke 12:37-38) Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. (Luke 12:40) ->i.e. No date setting. We are in the season of the Lords return. Do God's work till He comes. The passage above is preceded by this one: Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. (Luke 12:32 NKJV) He has given us the kingdom within our hearts and around us and one to serve with Him on earth int hat kingdom; let us be obedient and ever ready to do His work, while at the same time watching and waiting.

And above all cry out for wisdom from God:
Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, And preserves the way of His saints.
(Proverbs 2:3-8)

Wes K

I stood my ground. I believed the moons were nothing more than signs of the glory of God. We always need to use discernment and it is something we must exercise. This past couple of blood moon years have been an exercise in discernment.

I would like to say that there were quite a few reasons for many to follow what was being said. In 1988 Edgar Whisenhut published "88 reasons to believe the rapture would happen in '88'. " I fell for that one and was disappointed. [I was not pastoring at the time but on the steps of Bible College]. It sure taught me a lesson in discernment. If you fell for this use it as a learning experience.

But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:14)

I did not allow that experience 28 years ago to trip me up. I kept looking and waiting and watching and will continue to fervently do so, knowing that He will come and as Jesus said at an hour we do not expect Him to.

Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants. (Luke 12:37-38) Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. (Luke 12:40) ->i.e. No date setting. We are in the season of the Lords return. Do God's work till He comes. The passage above is preceded by this one: Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. (Luke 12:32 NKJV) He has given us the kingdom within our hearts and around us and one to serve with Him on earth int hat kingdom; let us be obedient and ever ready to do His work, while at the same time watching and waiting.

And above all cry out for wisdom from God:
Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, And preserves the way of His saints.
(Proverbs 2:3-8)

Ya, I never put any amount of significance on the blood moons either, it was all the other things that we knew were going to be happening in September that had me pretty convinced we wouldn't be here right now. I'm not sure why the video I posted above shows the diagram with the moons and all, that wasn't really even talked about much in the video, and that diagram definitely was not shown in the video. I also fell for the idea that the rapture had to happen on one of the fall feast days and then there was the so called signs pointing to a rapture on 9/23/15 I kind of fell for that one too.

mikhen7

Wes it is a learning experience. We must trust in What God's word says and not man. As a pastor we can exhort others, encourage others, and make them aware of the season we are in but not try to base anything concerning something "Imminent" (can happen anytime) on something that has no specific sign attached to it. The signs we do see point to the beginning of the seven year tribulation being close but we cannot even put a date on a seven year covenant that has not yet been signed or confirmed with Israel by AC. So all we can say is "Hey, we are very close to the Rapture and Tribulation. Keep looking up!" The Gog invasion of Syria, Ukraine, and Crimea, (the final two being in an area of ancient Gomer - Gomer was also in Capodocia, Anatolia or Modern Turkey) shows us it is closer than many think. Too bad so many will be caught unaware - even at the end of the Tribulation! Although I must admit with all of the judgments occurring during the tribulation It is hard to see how anyone would not listen the words of Scripture, but we know those who have taken the MOB will be deceived.

"But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:34-36 NKJV)

Last edited:

Wes K

Wes it is a learning experience. We must trust in What God's word says and not man. As a pastor we can exhort others, encourage others, and make them aware of the season we are in but not try to base anything concerning something "Imminent" (can happen anytime) on something that has no specific sign attached to it. The signs we do see point to the beginning of the seven year tribulation being close but we cannot even put a date on a seven year covenant that has not yet been signed or confirmed with Israel by AC. So all we can say is "Hey, we are very close to the Rapture and Tribulation. Keep looking up!" The Gog invasion of Syria, Ukraine, and Crimea, (the final two being in an area of ancient Gomer - Gomer was also in Capodocia, Anatolia or Modern Turkey) shows us it is closer than many think. Too bad so many will be caught unaware - even at the end of the Tribulation! Although I must admit with all of the judgments occurring during the tribulation It is hard to see how anyone would not listen the words of Scripture, but we know those who have taken the MOB will be deceived.

"But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:34-36 NKJV)

Thanks Mike. I agree, all the signs do point to the time being very close to the rapture and beginning of the 7-year tribulation. My problem is, I am so sure that it is so close that it's hard for me to keep going anymore. It's hard for me to find enjoyment in anything in this life other than telling someone about how they can receive the gift of salvation and eternal life through faith in Jesus. I'm in my mid 30's, never been married so I don't have any children, and God has blessed me so that I could literally drop just about everything else in life and spend most of every day for the next year or two out in public witnessing, and I'm not sure if that is God's will or not. I want to do it and I believe He has given me a gift for one on one evangelizing, but then I'm not sure if satan is trying to distract me from doing other things that I should be doing. I kind of feel like the apostles when Jesus called them to follow Him, and they immediately dropped their nets to follow Him, only I have been resisting that calling. But at the same time I'm not sure if I should apply that to my situation, or if that's truly His will or not. I have so much to be thankful for and lately it's hard for me to give thanks to God when I should be constantly giving thanks. I'd appreciate any prayers for this. thanks, God bless you all

Philadelphia

My problem is, I am so sure that it is so close that it's hard for me to keep going anymore. It's hard for me to find enjoyment in anything in this life other than telling someone about how they can receive the gift of salvation and eternal life through faith in Jesus.

I totally get this. It was what I was trying to say on another thread. I am finding it increasingly hard to engage in the things of this world. It all just seems so meaningless. And I know we are called to be separate and maybe this is just where the Lord wants us to be. I am pretty sure we aren't supposed to be engaged in the things of this world anyway, but as a responsible parent, I can't just shut it off no matter how much I want to. (the worldly things like preparing my kids for college and beyond)

Will be praying for you to know what God's will for you is in this matter. <3

mikhen7

I believe the Lord would have us pray about all the necessary things the future may hold. Ultimately He is the One we need to hear from. He is the One who opens the doors and closes them. Ask and seek for His direction. Do this daily till you receive His answer.

I have also found that the Lord calls us to be in more than evangelism. Evangelism is awesome but we are also called to go an make disciples. Have you thought of putting some energy into getting involved in teaching others the Word of God in a deeper way? I guess what I am saying is that oftentimes we will get to a point of having a lot of knowledge but if we bottle it up inside we can become full, so to speak. Having an outlet to invest our god-given wisdom and talents is a great way to help others become more invested in God's work until He comes. Think of it as being able to help others along on their journey so that they too can become disciple makers. I share this because when I become to focused in one area I need to spend time in another. After praying for God to open that door I walk through it and find greater purpose for being a believer.

This world is dying but there are still many who want to have what we have in a greater way. Share the gospel, make disciples, and serve. Jesus was girded at the waist to be a Servant. To be girded at the waist meant to tuck in the long robe and be ever ready to move where God leads without that long robe tripping you up.
"Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning" (Luke 12:35).

Hol

Worships Him
Me too! I want to be with Jesus so much, in my eternal sinless glorified body, and out of this evil fallen world. I admit I learned some valuable lessons lately. I need to be more thankful for each day God gives me in this life instead of constantly hoping and thinking today is the day for the rapture. I still hope and think that each day will be the day, but in the past, too often I was allowing the rapture to control me and my life instead of the Lord Jesus. Here's a video that was very helpful to me and touches on this topic. He covers how harmful date setting and looking for signs can be

Thanks Wes! Worth listening to.

Thanks for your insights Pastor Mike, very helpful :thankyou

Elijah's Mantle

:hmmm I agree whole heartedly on the you can not just shut it off
of late and back of this I had so many dreams I would know was God dreams of what times will become
makes me tremble to think on it even now :hmmm Its a marvel to me that folks do not grasp what was being said when God said """I DO A QUICK WORK "" I COME QUICKLY ""
wish the souls of the lost would get ""QUICKENED "" Its a heartwrenching word to hear

ITS TO LATE
we got to pray fervently in this time now everybody , we really really really do :hmmm

Andrew

Well known member
:hmmm I agree whole heartedly on the you can not just shut it off
of late and back of this I had so many dreams I would know was God dreams of what times will become
makes me tremble to think on it even now :hmmm Its a marvel to me that folks do not grasp what was being said when God said """I DO A QUICK WORK "" I COME QUICKLY ""
wish the souls of the lost would get ""QUICKENED "" Its a heartwrenching word to hear

ITS TO LATE
we got to pray fervently in this time now everybody , we really really really do :hmmm
Are you saying that God is speaking to you through dreams?