The Great Cloud of Witnesses

GoldenEagle

I’ve been wondering about this lately and would love to hear others thoughts.

What do you think the Cloud of Witnesses actually see? Do they see the general battle, or can they see more into our personal lives and walk than that?

It’s just occurred to me that perhaps this scripture means witnesses of God who have gone before us...but can’t actually see what’s going on here...I’ve always assumed it was those in heaven already, looking down..I’m definitely showing my lack of knowledge here now!!

Anyway, either way would be interested to hear others thoughts.

(Thank you to whoever put this in the right section and kindly covered my spelling mistake)

Last edited:

Micki

MARANATHA!!
I don’t think the great cloud of witnesses can see anything happening on earth. Heaven is the reward for believers, a place of happiness, joy and contentment. What joy would there be in watching the new world order take over? Watching mankind’s wickedness? Watching loved ones reject Yeshua?

New souls enter heaven every hour of every day. Perhaps they are allowed to share the goings on in the earth, but perhaps not. Elohim sees all, not mankind. Even in the state of being spirit and soul without a body there is no indication that the saints who have passed from this world can see anything going on here. There is a phrase in the OT which says “the dead know nothing”. I don’t think that’s because they no longer have consciousness, I think it’s because they no longer see what goes on here.

Almost Heaven

Taking it in context of the previous chapter Herbrews 11 the great cloud of witnesses are those that have gone on before us. I don't think they see anything on earth. Knowing what goes on here would remove the blessing of heaven, peace, joy etc. I think maybe we will get some news in heaven if it is something that can be rejoiced over, but no one who has gone on before is watching our daily lives.

GoldenEagle

Hebrews 12.1 “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,”

I just looked up “are compassed about” in Strongs which says to “lie all around, that is, inclose, encircle, hamper (literally or figuratively): - be bound (compassed) with, hang about.”

I don’t know. I’m not talking here about communicating with the dead just to make that clear! But those before us...we are all part of the same thing..which isn’t over yet.

Back