The Great Buffalo Blizzard of 2022

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
By Todd Strandberg

I’ve often wondered why anyone would want to live in the Great Lakes, especially in the zones that receive lake-effect snow. When I lived in Nebraska, most major snows only delivered 4-6 inches. Here in Arkansas, we just wait a couple of days, and the snow will all melt away. About every third year, we don’t receive any accumulating snow during the winter season.

I remember the great Blizzard of 1977 – widely known as Buffalo’s worst storm of all time, at least prior to this month. That storm hit Western New York and Southern Ontario from January 28 to February 1, 1977.

The ’77 storm was so bad that many people thought they would never see one that was worse. “I’d be shocked if we got another storm to compare to the Blizzard of ’77 in my lifetime, in my kids’ lifetime, or even in their kids’ lifetime,” a National Weather Service meteorologist told the Buffalo News for their story five years ago. He called it a once-in-200-year weather event.

During the Blizzard of ’77, there were some areas that received over 100 inches of snow. Lake-effect snow can vary greatly because it is the result of winds drifting over the same location for a long period of time. Most areas in Buffalo only got a foot of snow. The huge drifts in the city were the result of winds of 46 mph with gusts up to 69 mph and 13 hours of whiteout conditions. The snow blew in from miles away.

Unlike in ’77, Lake Erie was not frozen over, so last week’s storm was able to dump massive amounts of snow on Buffalo. After already getting 4 feet of snow, another 22 inches had fallen on Friday, which was nearly double the previous one-day snowfall record.

More than 37 people are reported to have died in the region. The toll surpasses that of the historic Blizzard of 1977, blamed for killing as many as 29 people.

The dead were found in cars, homes, and snowbanks. Some perished while shoveling snow, others when emergency crews could not respond in time to medical crises. Poloncarz, a Democrat, called the blizzard “the worst storm probably in our lifetime,” even in an area known for heavy snow. More bodies are expected to be found as the snow is cleared or melts.

Hochul, a Democrat, noted the storm came a little over a month after the region was inundated with another historic snowfall. Between the two storms, snowfall totals are not far off from the 95.4 inches the area normally sees in an entire winter season.

Unlike the Blizzard of 1977, there has been a huge amount of looting in the Buffalo area. Several stores like Walmart, Dollar General, Louie’s Texas Red Hots, Rick’s Sports Apparel, the Broadway Market, a 7-Eleven, Family Dollar, and other Mom & Pop retail stores have been hit. Some stores were nearly picked clean of any merchandise of any major value.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia acknowledged during a press conference that officers had responded to several reports of looting and that arrests had been made.

“People who are out looting when people are losing their lives in this harsh winter storm is just absolutely reprehensible,” Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said during the press conference. “I don’t know how these people can even live with themselves, how they can look at themselves in the mirror. They are the lowest of the low.”

The liberal media have absolutely ignored the looting in Buffalo. My best guess is that New York is a leftist state with a leftist governor, so they don’t want to highlight an embarrassment for people who share their same mindset.

In one news conference, Gov. Kathy Hochul and Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz were asked about the looting, and they would say only that a few incidents of looting have been confirmed. New York State Police Superintendent said at the same meeting, “We have had two confirmed reports of looting incidents where law enforcement has been dispatched and responded.”

The Great Buffalo Blizzard of 2022 ends a year with massive fires, a deadly hurricane in Florida, 1,000-year floods, and a major war in Europe. These are just some of the sighs that Jesus spoke as being the warning of the rapture’s nearness.

“And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows” – (Matthew 24:4-8).

– Todd

https://www.raptureforums.com/end-times/the-great-buffalo-blizzard-of-2022/

MapleLeaf

When I was a kid I grew up on hearing stories of the Blizzard of '77. I thought it sounded exciting as we hardly got any big snowfalls on the shores of Lake Ontario. I had a hard time picturing snow like that ever fell there. I live a province away now so I missed the recent one but my family got hit. Well, the ones who now live by Lake Erie. Lake Ontario once again missed the bulk of it. My sister said she got hardly anything where she lives.

The looting was heartbreaking and frustrating to hear about. It's a sign of a low-trust society and mars the stories of all the good that strangers did for each other too.

Aiyanna

Looting is a sad fact of this world we live in. Looters don't care, and they have no dignity or self-respect.
I remember when my Grandma's grave was robbed. We had left some pretty little wind-chimes. She loved wind-chimes. Someone stole them along with whatever else may have been left.
I remember being seriously confused as to why anyone would want to steal some cheap little chimes from a grave.
And then I think about all the ugly, petty, ridiculous sins that have been done since Adam and Eve ate that fruit. All the things that have been done in secret and in the open. God has seen it all. He has seen the hardness of man's heart. The wickedness that lives there. I don't even want to know all the God has been witness to. Praise God for His Grace and love towards us. We definitely don't deserve it.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
By Todd Strandberg

I’ve often wondered why anyone would want to live in the Great Lakes, especially in the zones that receive lake-effect snow. When I lived in Nebraska, most major snows only delivered 4-6 inches. Here in Arkansas, we just wait a couple of days, and the snow will all melt away. About every third year, we don’t receive any accumulating snow during the winter season.

When I lived in snow-deficient areas like Missouri, Alabama, North Carolina, etc., I missed "real winter," especially the snow. Living in such areas has no appeal to me.

I liked living in upstate NY. Skied to work when we had 22 feet on the ground
:smile

Military first responder, so no day off.

When lake-effects snow hits (or any snow and ice), one needs to be prepared, use common sense, follow basic safety, and work with neighbors. No different than when hurricaness hit. Both storms come with plenty of advance warning, so time to evacuate or top off provisions. Both storms do cause loss of life when people are careless or when first responders can't get to them in time. People die from both cold and heat when there's no electricity. Asking why people live around the Great Lakes (snow) is no different than asking why people live in Florida (hurricanes), California (earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires), Arizona (desert, heat, wildfires), Dakotas (frigid temperatures, high winds), Minnesota (snow, frigid temperatures, flooding), Oklahoma (tornadoes, dust storms), Hawaii (volcanoes, earthquakes), and the answer is the same. Because we like it :smile

We got a decent amount of snow here, recently, and I hope we continue to do so. We're still in drought conditions (overall), our lakes, rivers, aquifer, and water sheds need it, and it's really beautiful:smile Nice reminder of the beauty and power of God's creation, and points to the beauty and power of God, Himself :smile

Weather and other natural disasters are (some of) God's ways of encouraging people to get along and help each other. Snow and ice ate God's way of letting (helping) adults play (like kids). A nice reminder that we need to love our neighbors as ourselves and have faith like a child :smile

FWIW, cleaning up snow is a lot cleaner and a lot more fun than cleaning up sewage-infested, salty surge and debris, or cleaning up asbestos and lead-tainted broken buildings and debris.

:thankyou JESUS!!! :thankyou

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Looting has been a post-hurricane issue for a very long time. No reason to expect it wouldn't happen after a major lake-effects snow storm. What is surprising is that it didn't seem to be a problem in the past.

What changed between 1977 and 2022? Can anyone that's from there explain the difference in Buffalo between then and now?

pixelpusher

When I was a kid I grew up on hearing stories of the Blizzard of '77
I was a nine year old kid in Connecticut then, most snow I have ever seen. I don’t remember when I got the set of cross country skis, but that was the winter I had fun with them. The condo complex was all hills in every direction. The plow stacked the snow so high by the road me and my buddies made snow caves. The drift came right up under the eaves, we rode our plastic sleds right down the roof onto the drifts and out across the yard.

DanLMP

Looting is a sad fact of this world we live in. Looters don't care, and they have no dignity or self-respect.
I remember when my Grandma's grave was robbed. We had left some pretty little wind-chimes. She loved wind-chimes. Someone stole them along with whatever else may have been left.
I remember being seriously confused as to why anyone would want to steal some cheap little chimes from a grave.

Double check with the graveyard administration to see if they routinely remove items left at gravesites. Some of them do.

Back