The Gog-Magog and Armageddon Wars – Part 1

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The Gog-Magog and Armageddon Wars – Part 1
By Randy Nettles

The war of Gog-Magog that Ezekiel wrote about in Ezekiel 38 & 39 is located “in the midst” of Ezekiel 37 and Ezekiel 40. This gives us a sense of when this yet future war occurs. Ezekiel 37 is titled “The Dry Bones Live – One Kingdom, One King” and describes the resurrection of the nation of Israel back into their God-given land. Ezekiel is not referring to the nation of Judah returning to their homeland upon Cyrus’ decree but is prophesying about an even further (in time) future event, where the whole house (12 tribes) of the children of Israel will be “resurrected” or brought back to the land that God gave to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and his sons forever (Ezekiel 37:18-20).

In historical hindsight, we know this occurred on May 14, 1948, when Israel declared their independence and joined the ranks of the modern nations of the world. In Ezekiel 37:22-28, Ezekiel prophesies even further into the future and writes on the subject of King Jesus, Prince David, and the nation of Israel in the Millennial Kingdom. Chapters 40-48 describe the Millennial Temple that will be in place during Jesus’ 1000-year reign on earth, which begins at the end of the war of Armageddon and Daniel’s Seventieth Week.

In between Israel’s resurrection as a nation in 1948 and the future Millennial Kingdom is the Gog-Magog war of Ezekiel 38 & 39. This is not the same Gog-Magog mentioned in Revelation 20:7-9 which occurs at the end of the Millennial Kingdom when God destroys the rebels with fire coming down from heaven (as He did at Sodom and Gomorrah). I believe this Gog-Magog is named thus because of the similarities of the original Gog-Magog (in Ezekiel 38, 39) who rebel against God and attempt to destroy the Jews. Their means of destruction and lack of a need for burial (because they are cremated by fire), etc. indicate these are not the same two events and are separated by at least 1000 years.

In a previous article, entitled “What’s Next?” I described the what, where, and why of Gog and his allies’ war on Israel. In this article, I will just give you my opinion (and many others) as to the ‘when’ of this war. There are three prevalent theories on the timing of the Gog-Magog War found in Ezekiel:

1) Before the Tribulation

2) During the Tribulation

3) At the end of the Tribulation and at the same time as the war of Armageddon.

Many teachers of eschatology believe the war of Gog-Magog happens about the same time as the pre-Tribulation Rapture of the Church. God uses this battle to re-awaken the nations to His presence, especially Israel. It is thought that the Church will have to ‘disappear’ at the Rapture, and then God turns His full attention back to Israel. Acts 15:14-15 confirms this: “Simon (Peter) has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written: ‘After this, I will return and will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down; I will rebuild its ruins, and I will set it up; so that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord, even all the Gentiles who are called by My name, says the Lord who does all these things.’”

Gog-Magog War​

God will certainly get the attention of Israel and the nations when he supernaturally destroys the armies of Gog and his allies. First, God causes a great earthquake to occur in the land of Israel. “For in My jealousy and in the fire of My wrath I have spoken: ‘Surely in that day there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel, so that the fish of the sea, the birds of the heavens, the beasts of the field, all creeping things that creep on the earth, and all men who are on the face of the earth shall shake at My presence. The mountains shall be thrown down, the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground’” (Ezekiel 38:20).

The second method of destruction God uses is one of His old favorites. He causes all the different peoples in this confederacy to fight against one another. “I will call for a sword against Gog throughout all My mountains,” says the Lord God. Every man’s sword will be against his brother (Ezekiel 38:21). The other method God uses to destroy Israel’s enemies is found in verse 22: “And I will bring him to judgment with pestilence and bloodshed; I will rain down on him, on his troops, and on the many peoples who are with him, flooding rain, great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.”

The “fire and brimstone” that rain down on Gog and his cohorts will not be nuclear weapons from Israel or any other nation but will be a supernatural judgment from God. It is similar to how the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. “Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah, from the Lord out of the heavens. So He overthrew those cities, all the plain, all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground” (Genesis 19:24-25). Then God tells Ezekiel, “Thus I will magnify Myself and sanctify Myself, and I will be known in the eyes of many nations. Then they shall know that I am the Lord” (Ezekiel 38:23).

Once again God reminds the children of Israel and the Gentiles that He is the Great I AM, just as when He made His covenant with Abraham, “I am the Lord, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans, to give you this land to inherit it” (Genesis 15:7). God also told Moses to tell the children of Israel His name if they asked, “And God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM. And He said, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you. Moreover God said to Moses, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations” (Exodus 3:14-15).

If this supernatural destruction of the Gog coalition described in the book of Ezekiel occurs 3.5 years before the Tribulation, then it satisfies the notion that the timing might occur at least 7 years before the “in the midst” event of the abomination of desolation as described in Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15, & Mark 13:14. This is because, according to Ezekiel, the Jews would burn the weapons of the armies of the nations that attacked them for a period of 7 years (Ezekiel 39:10). Juxtaposed with this same period of time is the warning Jesus gives in His Olivet Discourse, that when the generation that sees the A.O.D. spoken of by Daniel the prophet, they should immediately flee to the mountains. They should not even take time to pack their clothes, but to flee for their lives. Now, if this is the case, then the Jews that are fleeing will not bother to burn weapons or take the ‘fuel’ with them to burn later.

The next theory of the timing of the Gog-Magog war is that it will occur at the start of the Tribulation or in the first 3.5 years of the 7-year Tribulation.

If it begins at the start (or slightly before) of the Tribulation, the weapons could be burned up before the Millennium begins. However, the advice of Jesus to the Jews regarding to “flee to the mountains (immediately if not sooner) when you see the A.O.D.” would have to be ignored, and they will carry some of the weapons (as fuel for fire) with them to Petra. This will result in many deaths as the Antichrist’s persecution of the Jews will be swift and decisive.

If the Gog-Magog war starts sometime in the first half of the Tribulation, then 7 years later the Millennium Kingdom will have already started. The Jews would still be burning weapons for fuel, for at least 3.5 years into the Millennium. Because of this fact, I don’t see this as a viable option.

The last theory, and least likely in my opinion, is that the Gog-Magog war is the same as the Armageddon war, and will occur at the end of the Tribulation and before the 2nd Coming of Christ. In this scenario, Russia and her allies are merely part of a worldwide coalition that comes against Israel at the end of days. However, there are several problems with this view. According to Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum, there are eight objections to this end of the Tribulation (war of Armageddon) timing of the Gog-Magog war.

First, in Ezekiel, there are definite allies mentioned and they are limited in number, while other nations stand in opposition. In the Campaign of Armageddon, all nations are allied together against Jerusalem without exception.

Second, the Ezekiel invasion comes from the north, but the Armageddon invasion comes from the whole earth.

Third, the purpose of the Russian invasion is to take the spoil; the purpose of the Armageddon campaign is to destroy all the Jews.

Fourth, in the Ezekiel invasion, there is a protest against the invasion; in the Armageddon invasion, there is no protest because all the nations are involved.

Fifth, the Armageddon invasion is destroyed by the personal Second Coming of Jesus the Messiah.

Sixth, the Ezekiel invasion is destroyed on the mountains of Israel; the Armageddon invasion is destroyed in the area between Petra and Jerusalem.

Seventh, the Russian invasion takes place while Israel is living securely in the Land; the Armageddon campaign takes place while Israel is in flight and in hiding.”

“Furthermore, this view fails to solve the problem of the seven months (burial) and seven years (weapons burning), since both would have to continue into the Millennium to be accomplished. Again, this is inconsistent with other revelation regarding the Kingdom, which starts out with a thoroughly cleansed earth.” (1)

Let me reiterate the fifth point of Mr. Fruchtenbaum. Gog and allies will meet their demise by natural and supernatural means: a great earthquake, fighting amongst themselves, pestilence and bloodshed, flooding rain and great hailstones, fire and brimstone. The Armageddon forces will meet their demise by supernatural means as well, but it will be on a personal level as Jesus Christ defeats them in person with no outside help.

Because of the supernatural means of destruction in the Gog-Magog war, it will be evident to the Jews that God intervened for Israel to save them. “I will set My glory among the nations; all the nations shall see My judgment which I have executed, and My hand which I have laid on them. So the house of Israel shall know that I am the Lord their God from that day forward” (Ezekiel 39:21). They will, at this point, attempt to renew their old covenant (the Law) with God and make preparations to rebuild their third temple in Jerusalem. They will not at this point accept (still) Jesus as their Messiah.

The destruction of the Gog-Magog alliance will initiate the conditions for the 10 kings’ government to take control and begin the “great reset” or new world order (world government). They will re-zone the world into 10 regions with 10 kings. Israel will acquiesce and become part of this pact. Eventually, the Antichrist will come on the scene and will confirm (make stronger) a 7-year covenant (of nations) and guarantee Israel’s security in exchange for giving up some land for the Palestinians. As part of the ‘covenant’, the A.C. will allow Israel to build a temple in Jerusalem and allow animal sacrifices for their religious rituals. The temple must be built before the mid-point of the 7-year covenant when the A.C. attacks Jerusalem and sets up his ‘abomination of desolation’ in the newly built temple.

I believe Ezekiel 39:25-29 is a continuation of Ezekiel 37:22-28 and is referring to the Millennial Kingdom of God after Jesus Christ returns to the earth; when He will gather all 12 tribes of the children of Israel back to the Promised Land after Jacob’s Trouble (Tribulation). Israel will then have fulfilled all the objectives of Daniel’s prophecy of the 70 Weeks/Sevens. This will only happen at the end of the Tribulation when Israel (remnant Jews) finally recognize Jesus as the Messiah and confess their national sin. They will plead with Him to return and save them from physical and spiritual death.

In part 2 we will examine the Armageddon war and further compare the two.

Randy Nettles
[email protected]

https://www.raptureforums.com/ezekiel-38-39/the-gog-magog-and-armageddon-wars-part-1/

paul289

Certainly shows the challenge (read: impossibility) of trying to pin down when the Rapture is. Even if we could figure out which day of the year it's on, for instance being on a particular Feast of the Lord, we don't know what year it'll be. We might like to think that it's in the year prior to the Tribulation, but what if it has to be prior to the Gog Magog war? We simply don't know, and it's not really worth spending much time on. We know it's soon, what with the exponential rise in signs and the current geopolitical trends, so let's be about our Father's business of increasing the population of the Kingdom of Heaven.

athenasius

I've been enjoying Dr Andy Woods speaking on Ezek 38 and 39 in his series right now that he's doing on Ezekiel. He has gone into the timing and he's pretty convincing as to why he thinks this war begins just after the Tribulation starts. I used to take Dr Fruchtenbaum's position on that, being after the Rapture, but a little before the Tribulation in a bit of a gap between the two.

But Andy is very convincing as to why he thinks it's just as the Tribulation starts. That the peace situation in Israel is brought about by the treaty with the AC and Gog/Magog break that peace.

Either way, the wording of that passage suggests that the Church has been Raptured before this invasion takes place.

And it is NOT part of Armageddon. Those are 2 very separate situations.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I never thought about it before, but the rapture would be before or right at the beginning of the Gog-Magog war because that is when God turns his attention back to Israel?
I believe The Rapture will happen before Ezk.38-39.
I believe that will create a wide open window for Ezekiel 38-39 to come to fruition.
I also believe the AC will take credit for Israel's victory. He will unleash his Hellish silver tongue of deceit to gain much favor with the "United Global Alliance".
He (AC) will be the ultimate politician/ "peace maker".
He will have Israel in the palms of his gnarly hands and the world abroad.
Once they (Israel) fall for his snare , they will accept /confirm the 7 year peace treaty ,thus the 7 year Tribulation begins.
The Jews are always looking for a sign.
The deliverance by God involving Ezk.38-39 and the AC some how convincing Israel it was because of him is a scenario that would help persuade them to sign the treaty.
Remember they just saw what God did for them.
They will actually feel safe and secure.
They will be very vulnerable and moldable .
The AC gains power through the guise of peace and prosperity.

I believe this to be a plausible scenario or something very similar.
When it comes to the "room" of eschatology, one should never shy away to rearrange the furniture, so to speak, if something from God's Word is learned to change the order of things that we once understood how to be. That is to say the order of end time events.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I never thought about it before, but the rapture would be before or right at the beginning of the Gog-Magog war because that is when God turns his attention back to Israel?

It can be as I think that is a logical sequence. However, we don't know the timing of the rapture. Maybe, Gog/Magog happens, the world sees the supernatural defeat of Russian, Iran, Turkey, etc. and it causes many to call on the Lord. then maybe he takes those that belong to him in the rapture. Then of course, the world being angry at what has happened and in shock, fall into the hands of the evil one. :idunno

There are some possible scenarios, but I lean toward Gog/Magog happening before the Tribulation and the rapture somewhere before the Tribulation according to God's perfect plan for mankind that is only know to Him. JMHO. :thinking

daygo

I've been enjoying Dr Andy Woods speaking on Ezek 38 and 39 in his series right now that he's doing on Ezekiel. He has gone into the timing and he's pretty convincing as to why he thinks this war begins just after the Tribulation starts. I used to take Dr Fruchtenbaum's position on that, being after the Rapture, but a little before the Tribulation in a bit of a gap between the two.

But Andy is very convincing as to why he thinks it's just as the Tribulation starts. That the peace situation in Israel is brought about by the treaty with the AC and Gog/Magog break that peace.

Either way, the wording of that passage suggests that the Church has been Raptured before this invasion takes place.

And it is NOT part of Armageddon. Those are 2 very separate situations.
No way Andy Woods is right about the ezekiel war, too much wrong in the timing etc.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
No way Andy Woods is right about the ezekiel war, too much wrong in the timing etc.
I agree. I don't see Gog/Magog as being the "wrath' of God. I think it is "judgment" on Russia, etc. for their long history of anti-semitism which will result in their deicson to move on Israel. I think Dr. Grant Jeffrey was of that belief as well. See here:

https://www.raptureforums.com/forum...39-russias-day-of-destruction-in-israel.3859/

The 7 year Tribulation period is the "wrath" of God on unbelieving Israel and unrepentant sinners.

The Tribulation is global. Gog/Magog is centered in the Middle East on the northern borders of Israel.

I just don't don't see it happening inside the 7 year Tribulation period either. But I could be wrong. :idunno

daygo

I agree. I don't see Gog/Magog as being the "wrath' of God. I think it is "judgment" on Russia, etc. for their long history of anti-semitism which will result in their deicson to move on Israel. I think Dr. Grant Jeffrey was of that belief as well. See here:

https://www.raptureforums.com/forum...39-russias-day-of-destruction-in-israel.3859/

The 7 year Tribulation period is the "wrath" of God on unbelieving Israel and unrepentant sinners.

The Tribulation is global. Gog/Magog is centered in the Middle East on the northern borders of Israel.

I just don't don't see it happening inside the 7 year Tribulation period either. But I could be wrong. :idunno
Agree Chris, imo ezekiel war has to be before the tribulation for everything to happen via 38, 39. Rapture has to happen before the tribulation for God to then turn his attention to Israel to purify them and judge the nations, and too bring all Israeli back as per 39 v 28. This would take time, not some supernatural wave and instantly back in Israel.

mphsmom

I always wondered if the Rapture ended up being one of the reasons that the Gog-Magog coalition decides to attack Israel. All of us pesky Christians would be gone, the world would be in turmoil, and any country that would have come to Israel's defense doesn't because their armies are decimated with the Christians in them being gone. They might see the time right after the Rapture as the perfect opportunity.

Jaybird

Since the Revelation doesn't give us all of the details all we can do is conjecture, but it sure sounds logical that the Rapture would cause so much internal turmoil that the US as Israel's main protector will be so decimated economically and militarily that Gog-Magog will jump at the opportunity to take some spoils. When Gog-Magog are supernaturally defeated Israel will sign the covenant with the AC out of a false sense of security. On the other hand we won't be here so whatever happens will be what God wants.

athenasius

Does anyone have any ideas about how long this war will be?

Sherry that is a very good question. I don't have an exact answer for you but you can look at it like this and see what you think.

Sometimes prophecy referring to "the Day of the Lord" for example means a period of time like the 7 years of the Day of the Lord. Or a lifetime of a person, "in the day of Abraham" or in the days of King David. A LOT of "in that day" references in the OT refer to the Tribulation period according to some theologians.

But at other times day means day. For example in Isaiah 17 where it talks about a day like a period of judgment but by the end of the chapter it mentions evening and morning which is inside a 24 hour day when the destruction takes place. So that says that the destruction of Damascus happens between evening and the following morning or about 12 hours.

There is no "evening and morning" phrase in Ezekiel 38 or 39 so it might be a 24 hour period or it might also refer to a longer period of time that starts with the day that thoughts come into Gog's mind and he devises an evil scheme.

Let's look closer at the scripture in question-- NIV
Ezek 38:10, 14, 18 & 19
10 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: On that day thoughts will come into your mind and you will devise an evil scheme.

14 “Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say to Gog: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: In that day, when my people Israel are living in safety, will you not take notice of it?

18 18 This is what will happen in that day: When Gog attacks the land of Israel, my hot anger will be aroused, declares the Sovereign Lord. 19 In my zeal and fiery wrath I declare that at that time there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel.

Ezek 39: 11, 13, 22
11 “‘On that day I will give Gog a burial place in Israel, in the valley of those who travel east of the Sea. It will block the way of travelers, because Gog and all his hordes will be buried there. So it will be called the Valley of Hamon Gog.

13 All the people of the land will bury them, and the day I display my glory will be a memorable day for them

22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God.

Here's what I think

Ez 38: 10, 14 discuss WHEN the leader of the confederacy called Gog of Magog looks at Israel and decides to invade. That day he has the start of his evil scheme.

HOW LONG FROM THAT POINT TO THE ACTUAL INVASION???? I don't know. Presumably he needs time to get the army together, pull the coalition into a unified fighting force. That has to take some time because we are talking about a coalition of other countries, such as Turkey and Iran plus some African nations.

Lets think of that as the day meaning period of time where God is entering into judgment upon the invaders but especially on the leader Gog.

But then the next part of Ezekiel jumps ahead to the actual day of the invasion. This may be a single day or very short period of time because this is a massive army and God alone deals with them. Like He dealt with Pharoah and his army in a single day when the chariots bogged down in the mud and the waters closed over the Egyptians as Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. God's deliverance when it comes for Israel often happens in a single day.

Ezek 18-23 discusses what happens during the actual invasion
17 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: You are the one I spoke of in former days by my servants the prophets of Israel. At that time they prophesied for years that I would bring you against them. 18 This is what will happen in that day: When Gog attacks the land of Israel, my hot anger will be aroused, declares the Sovereign Lord. 19 In my zeal and fiery wrath I declare that at that time there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. 20 The fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the beasts of the field, every creature that moves along the ground, and all the people on the face of the earth will tremble at my presence. The mountains will be overturned, the cliffs will crumble and every wall will fall to the ground. 21 I will summon a sword against Gog on all my mountains, declares the Sovereign Lord. Every man’s sword will be against his brother. 22 I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him. 23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’

And this begins to narrow it down as verse 19 suggests saying "AT THAT TIME" right after verse 18 saying IN THAT DAY. So in that day (period of judgment by God) AT THAT TIME -- which starts to get very specific about what time --it's that time that they invade.

Then the discussion of how this death sentence is carried out. First the earthquake. Usually those don't last more than a few hours although aftershocks can continue for days. This one is especially bad.

Next the invaders turn on each other.

Then a plague along with the bloodshed.

Next is torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulphur on Gog and his troops and the nations with him.

The next time statement is in Chapter 39 v 11 that says "On that day I will give Gog a burial place in Israel" so again a very specific time of death-- the day of the invasion. To me that suggests that the very day they invade God kills them, they die and lie dead for the carrion eaters and birds to eat their dead bodies until Israel is able to bury them all.

Verse 13 says: 13 All the people of the land will bury them, and the day I display my glory will be a memorable day for them

Finally in verse 22 when God says "From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God."

we are looking at a date stamped on everyone's memory. That suggests that from the moment the battle is over it becomes a historical remembrance, and a date that the Israelis turn to God the Father even if they don't yet know His Son.

BUT how long the actual "day" lasts from the beginning of the invasion to the moment the last one dies and the invasion is officially over I don't know.

Certainly it is the day of God's judgment on Gog and his invaders and it is a day that Israel will turn to God even if they don't yet know His Son their Messiah.

It marks a new beginning for Israel.

A couple of things suggest we are not here for this invasion

1-- Some good theologians note that God's focus in history is either dealing with Israel or the Church, not both at the same time. So if this is the "day" that Israel begins to know Him as God again it's a momentous change. God's focus is now on Israel again, which suggests we are gone.

2-- read these verses and see the context of what God is saying. He will make Himself KNOWN among the NATIONS. I think that means this happens shortly AFTER the Rapture BECAUSE if we were still here, we know Him already, and He is known among the nations thru the church --the Body of Christ thru the whole world. Including amongst the invader nations.

But God says they DON'T know who He is. After this the nations WILL know, they'll have no excuse.

And that to me suggests the Rapture happens before this invasion. How long before? Well I don't think too long because shortly after the Rapture people will start to believe in Christ for salvation, becoming the Tribulation saints. They are scattered thru the nations as well as Israel.

Ezekiel 38: 16 & 23
16 You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I am proved holy through you before their eyes.

23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.

Ezekiel 39: 6, 7, 21-23 and 27
6 I will send fire on Magog and on those who live in safety in the coastlands, and they will know that I am the Lord.

7 “‘I will make known my holy name among my people Israel. I will no longer let my holy name be profaned, and the nations will know that I the Lord am the Holy One in Israel.

21 “I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay on them. 22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God. 23 And the nations will know that the people of Israel went into exile for their sin, because they were unfaithful to me.

27 When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will be proved holy through them in the sight of many nations.

RonJohnSilver

Since the Lord himself will end it, that part would happen quickly. How long it goes until He decides to is unknown.

Note that elsewhere in the Bible, especially in the O.T., the fact that conventional time frames are often missing means that a text or story that seems to occur over a period of days is sometimes years in duration. When we read "After that ..." we tend to think of immediately after that when often, the event(s) is much longer.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
To me, this makes sense. I can't see Israel ever being at peace prior to the *treaty*.
This is just my humble opinion. We don't know the future.

Sherry that is a very good question. I don't have an exact answer for you but you can look at it like this and see what you think.

Sometimes prophecy referring to "the Day of the Lord" for example means a period of time like the 7 years of the Day of the Lord. Or a lifetime of a person, "in the day of Abraham" or in the days of King David. A LOT of "in that day" references in the OT refer to the Tribulation period according to some theologians.

But at other times day means day. For example in Isaiah 17 where it talks about a day like a period of judgment but by the end of the chapter it mentions evening and morning which is inside a 24 hour day when the destruction takes place. So that says that the destruction of Damascus happens between evening and the following morning or about 12 hours.

There is no "evening and morning" phrase in Ezekiel 38 or 39 so it might be a 24 hour period or it might also refer to a longer period of time that starts with the day that thoughts come into Gog's mind and he devises an evil scheme.

Let's look closer at the scripture in question-- NIV
Ezek 38:10, 14, 18 & 19
10 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: On that day thoughts will come into your mind and you will devise an evil scheme.

14 “Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say to Gog: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: In that day, when my people Israel are living in safety, will you not take notice of it?

18 18 This is what will happen in that day: When Gog attacks the land of Israel, my hot anger will be aroused, declares the Sovereign Lord. 19 In my zeal and fiery wrath I declare that at that time there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel.

Ezek 39: 11, 13, 22
11 “‘On that day I will give Gog a burial place in Israel, in the valley of those who travel east of the Sea. It will block the way of travelers, because Gog and all his hordes will be buried there. So it will be called the Valley of Hamon Gog.

13 All the people of the land will bury them, and the day I display my glory will be a memorable day for them

22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God.

Here's what I think

Ez 38: 10, 14 discuss WHEN the leader of the confederacy called Gog of Magog looks at Israel and decides to invade. That day he has the start of his evil scheme.

HOW LONG FROM THAT POINT TO THE ACTUAL INVASION???? I don't know. Presumably he needs time to get the army together, pull the coalition into a unified fighting force. That has to take some time because we are talking about a coalition of other countries, such as Turkey and Iran plus some African nations.

Lets think of that as the day meaning period of time where God is entering into judgment upon the invaders but especially on the leader Gog.

But then the next part of Ezekiel jumps ahead to the actual day of the invasion. This may be a single day or very short period of time because this is a massive army and God alone deals with them. Like He dealt with Pharoah and his army in a single day when the chariots bogged down in the mud and the waters closed over the Egyptians as Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt. God's deliverance when it comes for Israel often happens in a single day.

17 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: You are the one I spoke of in former days by my servants the prophets of Israel. At that time they prophesied for years that I would bring you against them. 18 This is what will happen in that day: When Gog attacks the land of Israel, my hot anger will be aroused, declares the Sovereign Lord. 19 In my zeal and fiery wrath I declare that at that time there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. 20 The fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the beasts of the field, every creature that moves along the ground, and all the people on the face of the earth will tremble at my presence. The mountains will be overturned, the cliffs will crumble and every wall will fall to the ground. 21 I will summon a sword against Gog on all my mountains, declares the Sovereign Lord. Every man’s sword will be against his brother. 22 I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed; I will pour down torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulfur on him and on his troops and on the many nations with him. 23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’

And this begins to narrow it down as verse 19 suggests saying "AT THAT TIME" right after verse 18 saying IN THAT DAY. So in that day (period of judgment by God) AT THAT TIME -- which starts to get very specific about what time --it's that time that they invade.

Then the discussion of how this death sentence is carried out. First the earthquake. Usually those don't last more than a few hours although aftershocks can continue for days. This one is especially bad.

Next the invaders turn on each other.

Then a plague along with the bloodshed.

Next is torrents of rain, hailstones and burning sulphur on Gog and his troops and the nations with him.

The next time statement is in Chapter 39 v 11 that says "On that day I will give Gog a burial place in Israel" so again a very specific time of death-- the day of the invasion. To me that suggests that the very day they invade God kills them, they die and lie dead for the carrion eaters and birds to eat their dead bodies until Israel is able to bury them all.

Verse 13 says: 13 All the people of the land will bury them, and the day I display my glory will be a memorable day for them

Finally in verse 22 when God says "From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God."

we are looking at a date stamped on everyone's memory. That suggests that from the moment the battle is over it becomes a historical remembrance, and a date that the Israelis turn to God the Father even if they don't yet know His Son.

BUT how long the actual "day" lasts from the beginning of the invasion to the moment the last one dies and the invasion is officially over I don't know.

Certainly it is the day of God's judgment on Gog and his invaders and it is a day that Israel will turn to God even if they don't yet know His Son their Messiah.

It marks a new beginning for Israel.

A couple of things suggest we are not here for this invasion

1-- Some good theologians note that God's focus in history is either dealing with Israel or the Church, not both at the same time. So if this is the "day" that Israel begins to know Him as God again it's a momentous change. God's focus is now on Israel again, which suggests we are gone.

2-- read these verses and see the context of what God is saying. He will make Himself KNOWN among the NATIONS. I think that means this happens shortly AFTER the Rapture BECAUSE if we were still here, we know Him already, and He is known among the nations thru the church --the Body of Christ thru the whole world. Including amongst the invader nations.

But God says they DON'T know who He is. After this the nations WILL know, they'll have no excuse.

And that to me suggests the Rapture happens before this invasion. How long before? Well I don't think too long because shortly after the Rapture people will start to believe in Christ for salvation, becoming the Tribulation saints. They are scattered thru the nations as well as Israel.

Ezekiel 38: 16 & 23
16 You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I am proved holy through you before their eyes.

23 And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.

Ezekiel 39: 6, 7, 21-23 and 27
6 I will send fire on Magog and on those who live in safety in the coastlands, and they will know that I am the Lord.

7 “‘I will make known my holy name among my people Israel. I will no longer let my holy name be profaned, and the nations will know that I the Lord am the Holy One in Israel.

21 “I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay on them. 22 From that day forward the people of Israel will know that I am the Lord their God. 23 And the nations will know that the people of Israel went into exile for their sin, because they were unfaithful to me.

27 When I have brought them back from the nations and have gathered them from the countries of their enemies, I will be proved holy through them in the sight of many nations.
Yes , I believe it will be no more than one day.
His judgment will be swift.
After this magnificent, powerful event who would dare come against Israel??
They will be at a time of peace after that. Temporarily. They will feel safe. Temporarily.
I say again, I believe Ezk.38-39 will happen in a 24 hour period or less. Super swift judgment.
Talking about an army (collectively) being consumed.
It also is executed in a poetic manner .
This particular event is very special indeed.
It will be SPECTACULAR.
And regardless when it happens , it WILL happen.

sherryh

Who is God talking to? If the Holy Spirit is back to a one person in dwelling as in the OT. Thank you for your wonderful answer

Back