The funny work stories thread. ...

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
It seems to me we all seem to be gravitating towards the fun threads in these trying times ....

So just wondering if anyone had any funny tales to tell re past jobs - although as am typing this I do wonder if we've had this kind of thread before so if we have then Chris or Adrian please delete (I have nothing of any significance lol ...just years of boring office work!!)

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Not counting paper routes, my first job was when I got hired as a boxboy at an independent farmer's market. I got this job right when I turned 16 which was also the beginning of summer vacation. I had to join a Union for the job. I didn't really get any guidance; my job was to bag customer's purchases, help them to their vehicle if they wanted that, and collect shopping carts. When I came in to check my work schedule for the 2nd week I wasn't on the schedule. I don't know how many days I came in and checked until I finally asked where my work schedule was. Apparently they hired two for the job and picked the person they wanted after the first week. So my first hourly paid job lasted a week. I took the rest of summer off and then got a part time job after school started again in the fall.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My second job was at a precursor to fast food, a place called Dari-Delight. You ordered at the window, sat down, and then came back to pick it up when it was ready. I got hired as a cook. I really enjoyed that work. The owner didn't seem to trust me completely, ever. I did a good job though and took pride in my work. I was good at it. His older daughter was an opera singer and every once in a while would sing. There was a younger boy in the family who was mentally retarded. I was very kind to him but sometimes having him in the cooking area could be dangerous. At all of my future cooking jobs free food was part of the bargain. At Dari-Delight, if I wanted to eat their food during meal time, I had to order it during a break and someone else would prepare it and bring it to me. And of course, I had to pay for it. I started there at $1.35 an hour, which was minimum wage, and I'd get a nickel raise just before the minimum wage increased by a nickel... so at least i kept up with minimum wage. When I left there I think I may have been up to $1.55 an hour.

Last edited: